HD calling on Note 9?

Dougmeister

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Ting is my provider. They can send me either a T-Mobile/Sprint SIM or a Verizon for my Note 9 (Exynos, international version, rooted, custom ROM).

Verizon has better coverage in my area so I requested a Verizon SIM.

After I received it, they told me that it wouldn't work in my phone because the Note 9 doesn't support "HD calling". It has something to do with an agreement they signed with Verizon.

Does that make any sense? Can anyone help me understand why? Ting says it uses data to make the call more clear, etc.

No way around it, I guess, right?

Could it be a problem with the ROM that I used?

This other thread seemed to imply that it might be configurable by the provider...?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9/915806-hd-voice.html

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, the problem is you have international version which not going give the carriers full benefits here in the US as if it was a US version. Those international work better with GSM carriers like Tmobile or Att , Verizon is CDMA .

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Verizon Note 9 has HD voice on Verizons network but most international phones don't get HD voice on Verizon from what I understand.

Dougmeister

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I got the international version because I didn't like how Samsung stopped putting out Android updates for my S7 Edge, so I could root the Exynos version of the Note 9. I didn't think about features like "HD voice".

Dougmeister

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
BTW... if and when I decide to upgrade to the Note 10 or Note 20, does anyone happen to know if:
1) either/both of the Exynos versions support "HD Voice" and therefore would be okay on Verizon's network, and
2) if I would need an Exynos version in order to root either of them?

Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
BTW... if and when I decide to upgrade to the Note 10 or Note 20, does anyone happen to know if:
1) either/both of the Exynos versions support "HD Voice" and therefore would be okay on Verizon's network, and
2) if I would need an Exynos version in order to root either of them?

Thanks.
If you want all Verizon features stick with the US version Verizon.