HELP! Battery drains like crazy! Any fixes?

bexsta95

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I am not due for a phone upgrade until November but am trying to make my phone last until then. I don't want to charge it overnight since I heard that it kills the life of the battery. My battery was draining like crazy. I would go to bed with 79% and wake up to a dead phone. That's 8 hours of sleep mind you. So I went on Amazon and bought a new battery. The first couple of days were great. Now it's doing it again. One friend mentioned that it could be from using a generic charger (because I had mentioned to him that my Sprint charger charges it quick vs. the other that I Bought in a grocery store, that takes almost 8 hours to charge). I am not tech savvy but would love it if someone could walk me through any options to make this S4 Mini last until I can get a new phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Have you monitored any apps that might have gone rogue?

My LG G4 did that too the other day and after closing all apps, the phone behaved normally.That led me to suspect it was a rogue app.

The battery usage monitor in battery settings should give you a general idea of what's draining your battery.

Ian Morgan2

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Uninstall or disable any apps you don't use from one week to the next.
Can you boot up in Safe Mode to ascertain if a particular app is problematic ?
Have you tried lookin' up the Samsung Support site for battery care info regarding the model of phone ?
Make it a habit to run CCleaner for Android each night....clean out crap and close unused processes.
Are you in a better signal area by day....is the phone struggling to maintain contact by night ?

Ian Morgan2

May 27, 2015
Visit site
There's some tips on battery/charging at How-To Geek......
7 of the Biggest Smartphone Myths That Just Won’t Die.....extracts as follows :-
With modern Lithium-ion batteries, there’s no need to drain the battery completely before recharging it. Go ahead and top off the battery whenever you like, or plug it in to charge at night and leave it charging all night. Basically, you can charge your smartphone’s battery whenever you like, and as much as you like.
Modern smartphones use USB chargers, which are standardized. As long as a USB charger can provide enough power, you can use it to charge your smartphone or any other device that supports USB charging.

Feel free to plug your phone into a more powerful charger. Your phone will only draw as much power as it needs from the charger, so it shouldn’t become damaged. In fact, your phone may even charge faster with a more powerful charger. You could plug your phone into a less-powerful charger, too — it just wouldn’t charge as fast, or it may not charge at all if the charger isn’t powerful enough.