Help me decide on a tablet since my 2013 N7 LTE is a cracked brick

NexusLion

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 2013 LTE I purchased from Groupon. I think I paid $199 shipped. It is on T Mobile's 200MB/month free data for life plan. It had been used 95% WiFi, 5% LTE.

Screen cracked about 1/3 up from bottom. Digitizer busted. Charged it after it has been collecting dust on a shelf for over 8 months and it runs fine. Just a brick because you cannot use the screen. I would like to find a replacement.

As a side note, I've recently had the Galaxy S3 and now a Galaxy S5 as phones, and I have been really happy with Samsung's products (esp. the S5).

So my question is, what do you all recommend as a replacement? Any of these support magnet cases? Qi charging? What is the latest version of Android that each supports / you recommend? I would like to try and retain the 200MB/month T mobile plan & SIM card as I do now.

Here are some of my brainstorms:

1) Find another Nexus 7 2013 LTE, move SIM card to the new one. Wait for screen to crack again and be prepared to be upset again when it happens. (heard this is a problem to these Nexus devices). I think I've seen around $160 currently for a 2013 LTE model.

2) Find a Nexus 7 2013 16GB for about $100. Live without LTE. The pain is simply less when this one breaks. The plus of sticking with the Nexus 2013 is I have a case that I like for it (turns screen on/off with magnet) and I have Qi chargers for it.

3) Go to a Nexus 9? Not sure how big a jump up in size this is. Price about $300. I believe this is more than I want to spend at the moment.

Go to a Samsung device. I know TouchWiz isn't for everyone, but I have been pleased with my experience (with my phones) and would rather have better screen replacement options or a more robust tablet (if this is true).

I have looked at a variety.

3) Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 T217A 16GB. I didn't know the Tab 3 7.0 came in LTE, but I've seen one listed as AT&T unlocked LTE. $120ish.

4) a) Galaxy Tab 4 8.0" T337a 16GB Unlocked GSM 4G LTE $199 used,like new condition
b) Galaxy Tab 4 7.0" 8GB (Unlocked) 4G LTE T235Y International White $180 used

5) Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and Galaxy Tab S 8.4. the S is newer, however those can both be found used for about $190. 16gb wifi only models.

6) Just found a SM-T555 Tab A 9.7 LTE for $250. $185 Wifi only. Is this newer generation worth a step up in size?

Other? LG maybe?

Groupon deal?
Trio AXS 16GB 7.8" Tablet with 4G and Free T-Mobile Data Plan $55. I feel this might not be worth the money.

Unfortunately, tethering to my phone is not an option in case you were wondering.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
DO NOT GET THE TRIO. Avoid those off-brand devices--they may be cheap, but you get what you pay for. Even higher chance of hardware or software defects, little to no support, increased chance of app incompatibility.

I got a Tab Pro 8.4 for my mother a while ago, and it's quite good. Don't expect system updates (I think it's stuck on Lollipop), but performance is good, screen is excellent, and it supports a smartcover.

The LG G Pad 7.0 might be a good deal: groupon.com/deals/gs-new-lg-g-pad-7-0-16gb-7-tablet-w-android-wifi-and-4g-lte-unlocked

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
There's the Nvidia Shield K-1 8" tablet for around $200. Only 16GB but it includes SD card support and has apparently been updated to Marshmallow. No LTE, but it sounds like you didn't use that very much.

Edit: I'll second the "do not buy weird off-brand cheap Android tablets" advice. Don't do it. You might save a few bucks initially, but that's not worth the heartache you'll get down the road. Spend the extra bucks for a name brand with good support.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious as to why the only tablet you seem to be concerned with screen craving with is the nexus 7. I've not heard of any particular issue with the nexus 7 that makes screen cracking a more prevalent than with any other device...

Posted via the Android Central App

NexusLion

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious as to why the only tablet you seem to be concerned with screen craving with is the nexus 7. I've not heard of any particular issue with the nexus 7 that makes screen cracking a more prevalent than with any other device...

On the N7, when the screen is cracked, the digitizer is toast. At that point, it's $200+ to fix. That's beyond economical repair, as I only paid $200 in the first place.

Contrast that with an S III phone my wife dropped; a hair dryer and some patience replaced the screen in 30 minutes for marginal cost. The phone even worked before the repair with glass shards everywhere.

Perhaps my experience with screen replacement was not mainstream?

Please advise.

P.S. Thank you for all the recommendations; a G Pad 7.0 LTE arrives today. :)

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
On the N7, when the screen is cracked, the digitizer is toast. At that point, it's $200+ to fix. That's beyond economical repair, as I only paid $200 in the first place.

Contrast that with an S III phone my wife dropped; a hair dryer and some patience replaced the screen in 30 minutes for marginal cost. The phone even worked before the repair with glass shards everywhere.

Perhaps my experience with screen replacement was not mainstream?

Please advise.

P.S. Thank you for all the recommendations; a G Pad 7.0 LTE arrives today. :)

Gotcha. It sounded like you were saying that if you got the N7, a screen crack would be an inevitability.

NexusLion

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Update: I love my G Pad (7.0 LTE). $89.

I'm running Marshmallow. Snappy enough for me!

Was able to swap my T Mobile SIM card from my nexus and now I have 200mb / month free data for life going wonderfully.

Thanks to all who added their suggestions.