HELP: Screen not turning off when locked after charge

Blueblaze97

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
Hi everybody, my phone, a Samsung Galaxy A50, around 1-2 weeks ago got this weird behavior where after I insert the cable for charging or just for connecting it to the PC (which is recognised as charging status all the same) if I try to lock it manually, or even after the automatic locking timer, it will lock but the screen won't turn off.
The only temporary fix I've found for now is to shut it down (not reboot) and turn it on again, and it seems to be good again.

I already tried looking for similar cases and solutions on the internet and following those I already turned off all the smart lock features, but without any luck.

My major suspect was on Bixby routines, since I have a routine that enables the always on display while charging and it disables it once it's done. Unfortunately, while trying to prove my hypothesis by disabling said routine, the problem was still there, so I'm back to square one and I don't know what to do.

I would be very glad if anybody could help me figure this out. I don't know yet if it's something that has to do with Android or the particular model and some Samsung stuff.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Hmm, that is a peculiar problem, especially since Bixby Routines wasn't the culprit.

Does this same issue persist when you boot the phone into Safe Mode? Have you downloaded any new launchers within the past two weeks?

Please consider making an account with us here on Android Central - that way, you can respond to your thread! Getting started is easy - here is the link!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Blueblaze97

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I didn't think to try Safe mode. I just did and apparently the issue persists even in safe mode, which makes me think that perhaps it is an Android bug then.

I haven't downloaded any new launchers recently, nor any particular app. The only thing of relevance are the system updates, but I'm not sure the problem arose at the same time after those...

About the account I thought I already did it, do I not appear as a registered User?

Last edited:

Blueblaze97

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
From this thread on another forum it seems that the problem might be due to a bad update install, and the solution proposed is to do a factory reset. I think I will proceed on that. I'm leaving this message as the solution I took

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have Developer Options turned on? If so, make sure you don't have the Keep Awake option turned on there (which keeps the screen on as long as the phone is charging).

Sometimes we reflexively and accidentally add the "Please register" text in our posts, so I think that's what happened in Morty2264's reply -- your initial post does indeed show you as the post owner.:)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have Developer Options turned on? If so, make sure you don't have the Keep Awake option turned on there (which keeps the screen on as long as the phone is charging).

Sometimes we reflexively and accidentally add the "Please register" text in our posts, so I think that's what happened in Morty2264's reply -- your initial post does indeed show you as the post owner.:)
You are correctScreenshot_20210809-213932_Settings.jpg

Blueblaze97

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
I have developer options active but that specific setting is disabled (and I never changed it). Also I'd like to point out that this issue happens after I remove the cable and not during the charge itself.

Blueblaze97

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
Not yet. I'm postponing it until I am too annoyed by this that I care to do it :) (I'm lazy and the recovery after the reset is what's keeping me from doing it)

Blueblaze97

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
I tried following those steps several times but I can't access that menu. One thing that I'm not sure is that I have 2 Samsung logo when booting: the first is almost instant with the phone model, and the second one is just the Samsung logo as the system is booting up. I tried releasing the buttons at both times but without much success...

The only thing I noticed is that sometimes as the phone is booted and I'm in the locked scrren the following message briefly appears

[pdp]: backup fail
systemwizard something short... (it disappears rather quickly)

Blueblaze97

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
After a quick googling I managed to do it. Apparently Samsung recently changed the steps to enter recovery mode. I just had to also connect the phone to a PC. BTW this didn't manage to solve the problem...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Aw man! That was an "oopsie" on my part! I apologize, OP!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
After a quick googling I managed to do it. Apparently Samsung recently changed the steps to enter recovery mode. I just had to also connect the phone to a PC. BTW this didn't manage to solve the problem...
So probably a factory reset or flash the firmware can correct this