Help with some info on the Moto G 3rd gen aka 2015

Dr Crabs

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi Folks,
I'm needing a little help with some info on the Moto G 3rd gen aka 2015. It's not the sort of info you normally see posted unless you just get lucky and so far I haven't been so lucky. Here's the deal, I have had a new Samsung Galaxy S4 for a week today BUT can't use it because of what happened this past Saturday at work, I bent over to get something off the floor and my S4 broke, I had it in a front pant pocket with a leather billfold and that's all. Pants were not tight but did tighten up when I bent over, the pressure on the S4 against the billfold was too much for the S4 and the screen and digitizer broke. Now all one can see is lines running across the screen in greens and reds, useless. I got it for cheap and would pay to have it fixed BUT I would never trust it in a pocket again so I have decided I want a phone that would be stiffer and therefore harder to flex or bend enough to be broken when in a pocket. I have read that the Moto G 3rd gen has a metal frame, is this metal frame stiff enough for what I am wanting? My previous phone was an old iPhone 4 so it's small enough and stiff enough to have never been an issue in this respect........ your experience with the Moto G 3rd gen says what? oh and thanks for the help!

Etios

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
The overall build quality of Moto G 3rd gen should be stronger than the S4 but still we can't predict what amount of force you are exerting on your phones, never heard about someone breaking their phone this way, maybe your leather billfold contributed to this? I never keep anything with my phone, this way i get to keep my phone nice and scratch free as i don't prefer screen protectors and cases.

Dr Crabs

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
"maybe your leather billfold contributed to this?" I'm absolutely convinced that it did, I had my S4 towards the outside of the pocket and the Billfold towards the inside of the pocket, closest to my leg, when I bent over the was pulled inward toward my leg and since the Phone is one third longer in length than the billfold the pressure across it broke the screen and digitizer exactly where the one third point is with the phone in relation to the billfold. I figure that this had never been a problem with the iPhone 4 because of two facts, the iPhone 4 is MUCH stiffer because of two factors, 1st, the metal frame around the phone AND 2nd, because the iPhone 4 is so much shorter in length and is roughly the same length as the billfold. I had put a fair amount of time into researching the specs and so forth on the Galaxy S4 BUT did NOT take into consideration the fact that it is rather weak, although I did get the hard plastic case for it but obviously it wasn't enough. lesson learned.

Dr Crabs

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
If I were you, I would rethink the way I carry either my phone or my wallet, but that's just me.
Thanks, In fact I have done exactly that. I am gonna carry my wallet in one of my back pockets (like I used to), hopefully when sitting down on a hard surface my wallet won't cause my lower back to hurt. IF it does, I'll have to put the wallet back in my front pocket and as bad as I would hate to, I guess I'll have to go to a "holster" of some type for my phone. :(

QwarkDreams

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I have read that the Moto G 3rd gen has a metal frame

You either misread something or the information is plain wrong (if the text was indeed about the Moto G). The Moto G does NOT have a metal frame. It looks like metal, but it's plastic. The Moto X (2014 and Pure/Style; I think the first Moto X had a plastic frame) on the other hand does have a metal frame (and not just a plastic one that looks like metal).

Dr Crabs

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I may have used the wrong terminology, what I had read was metal was the back of the phone that is UNDER the back cover. No mater to me now since I have bought a Moto X 2nd generation and love it so far. thanks for the reply though. ;)

QwarkDreams

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Nice, have fun with it! Thought about it too, but went with the Moto G 3rd Gen for the microSD slot and water resistance.

But either way, there's not much metal in the Moto G. The back side of the screen has some thin metal on it and some spots on the main PCB. I doubt that those add much to the sturdiness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord