Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have this one? I like this design better than having the full leather wrap all over the front of the tablet. Any comments would be appreciated.

I had that one on order but they still had not shipped it 9 days after I had ordered it. They are refunding my money. Too bad, it looked nice.

vickyg2003

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Re the video via a browser

I have a trial version of Puffin, that does Flash natively. The flash was really halting and choppy. On the same page, my iphone without flash streamed the video flawlessly.
Doug recommended Boat Browser and
After you install Boat Browser got to the settings and set the user agent to IPad. Most web sites will then default to HTML5 for video. This is what your iPhone uses.
Of course you will have to change back to Android or desktop for sites that only use Flash.

Well I have the Boat Browser now. When I navigate to the page in question with the default Android settings, (and found settings to Always use flash) the page tells me I need to download adobe flash.
Is this one of those browsers where you need to sideload flash? I'm just a beginner at this Android stuff, and that does seem to be a bit over my head.

I then tried Michaels recommendation. When I navigate to the page, there is a Video control there. When I hit Play, I get this pampers commercial. Then when the real video starts, I get no video, only audio. If I exit and reenter, the commercial will no longer play, I get a broken film icon, and then I get boat no longer responding. I couldn't get it to work again until I rebooted my tablet.

Only works once. Then same old problem. This could be a coding problem with the page. I don't know. So far I think the boat is sinking.

Is there a better place to be discussing this kind of thing? This thread seems to be mostly people searching for the tablet.

I do have another question. I wanted to use headphones. I have some bose earbuds, but the sound from the jack is really light. I could barely hear the music, much less enjoy it. I did kick out some absolutely wonderful music with external speakers turned up really loud. It w9uld seem that there's not enough power for the headset. Does anybody else have this problem. Or is there a headset that has its own power supply?

vickyg2003

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Re case
Does anyone have this one? I like this design better than having the full leather wrap all over the front of the tablet. Any comments would be appreciated.
My hisense tablet has a hair trigger on the 'video capture' button, and I was accidentally hitting it ALL the time. Typically 20 screen shots a day. I had 3 this morning, and then the leather case arrived. I haven't had an accidental screen capture since. If you are having that problem, maybe the leather case would be better. But to me it looks like the hardcase may stand up better. That full leather case with the leather stop just doesn't want to stand up. It wants to fall forward. Its hard to get the leather case to balance when setting on the bed, or on your stomach when you are lying down.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
It could be the site, I usually have no problems with videos.
But some sites don't seem to handle video well.
If like you said you have problems with this video even when you use your PC/Mac, then I would just assume it was an issue on their end.

I did sideload Flash and it works with Boat.

As for another forum you might try the Nexus7 forum on Android Central. Different device similar problems and fixes.
This is my 4th tablet and only non-branded tablet, and it has no more problems than the $500 tablet I own.
Any problems I've run into seem to be Android related problems, not tablet specific.

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right 3rd party app.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet/

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Forgot about the volume issue. There are multiple places to change volume.
1) is the master control in, settings> sound. You set individual volumes
2) in the Jelly Bean version when you plug in a headset it automatically lowers the volume
3) in other forums I've seen fixes that include, plugging the headset all the way in, to headsets that just don't work with a particular device.

The Nexus7 forum has dozens of threads about poor volume with a headset.
You might check there.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet/

d0m0

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I got one day before yesterday. My first ever tablet, and I almost bought the NOOK HD+ for the same price, but decided I wanted the REAL android experience and not B & N version of it.

Anyways, one thing I am concerned about is that I put the tablet on charging while I was playing around with it. I noticed that although the indicator showed that it was charging, the percentage kept going down!! I had to stop and put the tablet in sleep mode for it to charge!!

Can some one check if this "normal" for the Sero or if I should get mine exchanged?

Edit: The charger was my phone charger and not the original one that came with Sero. I will try and see if this happens with the original as well.

Last edited:

FDuane

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
So I got one day before yesterday. My first ever tablet, and I almost bought the NOOK HD+ for the same price, but decided I wanted the REAL android experience and not B & N version of it.

Anyways, one thing I am concerned about is that I put the tablet on charging while I was playing around with it. I noticed that although the indicator showed that it was charging, the percentage kept going down!! I had to stop and put the tablet in sleep mode for it to charge!!

Can some one check if this "normal" for the Sero or if I should get mine exchanged?

Edit: The charger was my phone charger and not the original one that came with Sero. I will try and see if this happens with the original as well.

Most phone chargers won't supply enough amperage to charge the Sero, especially if the tablet is not shut down. Take a look at the fine print on the chargers. The one supplied with this tablet puts out 2 amps. Most phone chargers are less than half of that, in the 500-750ma range.

Also, I've noticed that my battery seems to be charging a bit faster as time goes by. My previous tablet had horrible battery life, so this one seems great to me. Out of the box, the Sero was about 65% charged, and it took about 2 hours totally shut down to get it fully charged. I watched a 2 1/2 hour movie on Netflix yesterday, and had 73% remaining. Getting to full charge from there, in "sleep" state, took about 30 minutes on the charger.

d0m0

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Most phone chargers won't supply enough amperage to charge the Sero, especially if the tablet is not shut down. Take a look at the fine print on the chargers. The one supplied with this tablet puts out 2 amps. Most phone chargers are less than half of that, in the 500-750ma range.

You are correct, the phone charger is 1 amps

tao zhang1

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Do NOT use another brand charger to charge it.The output currency is bigger than input,so you can not charge it fully when u r playing it.
There is no this problem using the shipment charger.Trust me!

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Do NOT use another brand charger to charge it.The output currency is bigger than input,so you can not charge it fully when u r playing it.
There is no this problem using the shipment charger.Trust me!

looks like tao zhang1 must be a rep for Hisense ...and that's ok with me

redneckerson

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Had mine a wk now still happy with it. My only concern is the battery it doesn't hold a charge as long as some others but thats OK. Got an iblason case and screen cover, case is good for the price the screen cover is one of the bubble fee reusable types and takes some getting used to like anything else. Can someone recommendva n SD card for it. I haven't needed one yet but may in the future. Thanks in advance!

vickyg2003

May 27, 2013
Visit site
. Can someone recommend an SD card for it. I haven't needed one yet but may in the future. Thanks in advance!
I purchased a 32GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 microSDHC UHS-1 Memory Card w/ Adapter (SDSDQUI-032G-AT11). The card is seated and recognized. With Jellybean you can't store Apps on the midroSD card. So far the only thing that seems to store anything on the microSD is the camera, although the "Boat Browser" also let you cache to the SDcard. None of the other apps that I have loaded use the microSD for storage. Even though my camera is supposed to be using the microSD, the free space doesn't seem to change so I even wonder about that. The tablet recognized the card. Be careful when you open the cover. Many early users reported that the cover didn't seat well, and I'm wondering if they somehow damaged the cover when they opened the thing.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
With a 32gb card you won't see a difference even taking a few hundred pictures. :)

My 32GB card has over a thousand pictures between 600-800 songs, and 4 movies and hundreds of assorted files, and I've only used 9gb.

The internal storage starts out with 5.46 gb
I have 58 apps installed and the internal storage is down to 4.8gb.

You should have no problems.

Someone mentioned battery life.
With the screen at half brightness I'm easily getting 8+ hours a day of heavy use.

Good luck you'll enjoy your Sero 7, it's a great tablet.

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm having wifi problems. All the phones in the house are connected just fine. One sero 7 pro is connected and can get on the Internet but two of our sero 7 pros say they are connected but they can not get to the Internet and also the wifi symbol is grey and not blue. All settings look to be the same between all the devices.
Any ideas?

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm having wifi problems. All the phones in the house are connected just fine. One sero 7 pro is connected and can get on the Internet but two of our sero 7 pros say they are connected but they can not get to the Internet and also the wifi symbol is grey and not blue. All settings look to be the same between all the devices.
Any ideas?

Do the ones with wifi issues work if you connect them to someone else's wifi like at a friends house? If they do then you need to look at your routers configuration maybe you exceeded the number of leases from your routers DHCP server but that's unlikely most home routers have a DHCP pool of 50 devices or more but its worth looking into.

vickyg2003

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Michael, I'm glad you are sticking around. I really have found your posts helpful. I am really trying to become competent at using my Android. Its kind of hard when you are the first tablet user in your social circle.

With a 32gb card you won't see a difference even taking a few hundred pictures. :)

My 32GB card has over a thousand pictures between 600-800 songs, and 4 movies and hundreds of assorted files, and I've only used 9gb.

The internal storage starts out with 5.46 gb
I have 58 apps installed and the internal storage is down to 4.8gb.

You should have no problems.

When you have an microSD card, do you need some File manager app?

My sound issues have worked themselves out. It was a combination of a low volume source and user error. There were no instructions with the earbuds and they had protective covers on them, :D. Yikes you can see I'm really on a strong learning curve here. And to think my friends think I'm a tech geek! Sheesh!

As to my video issues, I have read about sideloading Flash. I am a little reluctant to get into this, only because I'm a Windows user and know how often I've received security updates. At least with the Puffin browser I might get security patches in updates, but the Flash is static, abandoned by Adobe. Makes me a little leary of mistepping with my browsing if there isn't active security patching.

I'm really impressed with my Xfininty app although the inability to display on the big screen is a little disappointing, but understandable. They are in the business of supplying you with TV content after all. I've been wondering about other video sources. I have seen advertising for NetFlix and heard of Hulu, but don't know how they compare. Do they offer any downloadable content, for taking your device off line. Are they fluid action? Do they let you connect via HDMI to the TV to stream content to the big screen?

The HDMI is going to be a huge help in doing demos. I already used this to teach someone how to use the Kindle app. I think I'm going to need a whiteboard app and a PPS type app for this little guy. This really is the best $149 I've spent in a long time.

reebop

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Vickyg - I have a Netflix subscription and as far as I know, you cannot download to view later. I don't know about Hulu. I have had no problems with playability on Netflix. I believe they tailor the streaming to your network speed. IIRC, I tested Netflix out on my TV with the HDMI cable and it worked fine. As you say, this tab is a great deal.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Vicky, file managers are tough to recommend they are really a personal choice.
I will recommend the simplest to use, but still has options for good file management
There are dozens of choices on Google Play, start with this one and experiment with the others.
You can have more than one installed.

Android file manager

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.smartwho.SmartFileManager&token=WzrJTOz5

The good thing about Android you can try many varieties of all the different apps you need,
try it,
don't like it,
uninstall it,
Try something else.

Yes this is a great tablet for the money, I have had mine since May 24 and really run it hard since and not had one issue with it.
I've pretty much stopped using my 10" Asus Transformer, and 7" Samsung .