honor 6x nougat update for straight talk

A

AC Question

I'm in the market for a new phone, it's a toss up between the Moto g5 plus and the honor 6x but only if I'll be able to get the nougat update for the 6x. I'm planning on using straight talk as my carrier with an unlocked gsm version of the phone but I've never gotten an Android update on any of the phones I've bought through straight talk itself (running 5.0.2 on my Galaxy grand prime rn) and I've never brought my own phone to the carrier and was wondering if it being an unlocked phone would make a difference or if I'd even get the update for the 6x- thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk will be your network operator - they use AT&T, Sprint, TMobile and Verizon as carriers.

But they don't supply updates. And the carriers won't unless the phone is registered to them, not to an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) like Straight Talk. It's not the phone, it's the network. (Updates are issued by Google - for the Pixel, at the moment. Each manufacturer has to modify that for each of their phones. then each carrier has to modify that for their network. Straight Talk and other MVNOs won't spend that kind of money.)

The only way you could get an update would be to go to the phone's forum on XDA Forums and hope that someone posted the update file you need, or post a request for it if no one's posted it after it came out. (But it would have to be for the carrier your phone was made to work with.

(And if it matters to you, the Honor 6X is GSM only, so you can't use it on Straight Talk on Sprint or Verizon. You can use the Moto G5 on all 4 carriers.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001