How bad is the lag?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully I won't get attacked for asking this but I have seen some lag on the device; both in videos and playing with it. Browsing the web seemed to produce the most lag. It just didn't seem as zippy as it should. I know the device as a Qualcomm Processor which isn't as powerful as the Exynos processor but I didn't think you could tell a difference. Can I get some feedback on this before I purchase the device tomorrow? Thanks

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
It just didn't seem as zippy as it should.

What exactly is the standard for zippy? I personally do not think any Android device is going to be "as zippy" as an IOS device (assuming that's the standard), because the way you use them is vastly different?

This is just one persons opinion, but I think too much effort is spent on how fluid or zippy the device is.

Granted no one wants a device that's stalling every 5 seconds and renders it useless for any real pleasure or productivity, but afterall, unlike an IOS device that is basically a screen with a bunch of icons, an Android device is processing a whole lot more of information at any given moment.

Most Android users are running fancy live wallpapers; widgets; multiple email accounts, facebook, twitter, switching between various launchers, and who knows what else all at the same time, and that requires a bunch of processing power. An IOS device is a still photo background with rows of icons. How much processing power does it take to manage that?

I'm no tech person, and I agree that IOS is a nice and fluid operating system. I own an iPod Touch and Ipad 2, so I get what people are saying. But in my opinion, because the two OS's are used so differently the comparisons are really not apples to apples (no pun intended).

I believe you will find the Note to be a very fluid and "zippy" device. Is it equivalant to IOS; I'd say no. But what makes the Note worthy of consideration is not merely how zippy it is, but rather the productivity, convenience, and portability it affords the user.

I have had mine now since release day in the USA on February 19. When running a bunch of apps, live wallpaper, multiple live widgets, and pushing 7 email accounts, I have run across the occassional lag. But nothing so noticible that it has caused me any concern.

The benefits I derive from this all-in-one device, far exceed any occassional lag here or there that is only really noticable when I stare intently at the screen waiting to say "Ah Ha! I just saw some lag".

Froid

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
There is definitely some lag on this phone and certain apps are glitchy. I just returned my s2 for the note and I'm starting to regret it. I've also used an iPhone and the s2 was by far the winner IMHO. If I didn't own an s2, I may have never noticed the lag, but I guess I was spoiled by it. I'm really starting to like the screen size of the note so it would be hard to go back to anything smaller. Hopefully a future update will fix the issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully I won't get attacked for asking this but I have seen some lag on the device; both in videos and playing with it. Browsing the web seemed to produce the most lag. It just didn't seem as zippy as it should. I know the device as a Qualcomm Processor which isn't as powerful as the Exynos processor but I didn't think you could tell a difference. Can I get some feedback on this before I purchase the device tomorrow? Thanks

If the lag bothers you, you might want to wait for ICS. Reports are the leaked version is smoother. I have no illusions that this phone is for everyone. No attacks here.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
ive said it before and ill say it again, there is something up with the mem managment in the OS on the note.. it gets higher than it should and gets really laggy.. hopefully they fix it in the ICS release

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, does any have the Note, stock, i.e. no 'personal' apps installed yet?

If so, do you see a lag of any sort?

I played with a Note in BestBuy today for a good 15 minutes or so, and not once did I notice any lag. And, wait for it, there was NO connection, i.e. no SIM card, and no WIFI.

So, I guess if people are seeing a 'lag', I wonder, is it to do with a connection interruption or something else?

Mind you, I'm a serious gadget user, and Network Admin, so troubleshooting is my thing. Hence the curiosity about the connection causing a lag, if any...

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
mine runs fine. Every once in a while it will lag a little but nothing major. Every computer lags at some point so i dont get the big deal.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I'm having lag too. If I pay $650 for a new phone and it lags, it's going back to the store.

Not meaning to be funny or anything, but either your Note doesn't really have lag or you didn't pay $650 for it?

Otherwise, based on your statement, you would have returned it?

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Let me first say the GNote is my 2nd Android phone, the first being the S2SR and I don't think the GNote has more lag than the SkyRocket had - but that was the same processor. I know that the S2 sounds as if it's the Gold Standard for Android and I never had the pleasure of playing with it.

I didn't think the GNote was laggy until I flashed the Saurom on and things really picked up, so I would say stock GB with TW has a bit of lag but there are things you can do about it if you want to. When the ICS leak dropped I flashed and that was again better than GB and have since gone with Nova Launcher based on comments I read on XDA and I would tell you this combo (Nova/ICS) really works. The trade off for now at least is a freeze a couple of times a day, that resolves back to the home screen.

All that said I wouldn't trade this phone for anything I have not had a phone I like more than the GNote.

Smidgerine

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I didn't really think my phone lagged on GB; maybe when I was doing a bunch of things. But, I would say that with the ICS leak, my phone is butter smooth.

Froid

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
That's good to know. I'm still debating on whether or not to wait for the official release. Thoughts?

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
That's good to know. I'm still debating on whether or not to wait for the official release. Thoughts?

I don't know that there is anything compelling about the ICS upgrade it's just that everything works/transitions a little nicer/quicker. I think the UI just works better on ICS.

I like the task manager that comes now with ICS instead of getting the last 4 apps in a box you get to scroll and see whats going on in the app, if you have a honeycomb tab you know it. Gmail is easy to use/read. You get to use the new Chrome Beta which I really like as it syncs the browser across all my devices/computers.

Data management is cool if you need it.

Thats what I have noticed so far after using it for 2 weeks on my GNote.

Reactions: Froid

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No lag on my end except a couple times in the texting app but that's not too much to worry about

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
As someone that prefers to thoroughly investigate a tech product before pulling the trigger, I have gone to the ATT store many times now to play around with these devices. Just yesterday I went to play with the Lumia 900 and HTC Titan II and then went to play with both the Skyrocket and Note again.

I DID in fact notice quite a bit of lag with the Note and a small amount with the Skyrocket, though nothing that is nasty. The size of the screen as it relates to the processor, or perhaps the Touch Sense UI may be the cause, but there is definitely lag.

On the other hand, my antique iPhone 3G running the OS designed for the iPhone 4 lags like an old woman, even with everything turned off. But even with the slug behavior, I do not experience any of the issues I see here in the various phone forums, which gives me cause for concern about buying a Note. The gamma clipping issue with the Super AMOLED screens is just one of many other elements keeping me from buying a Samsung phone, too.

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
The times I see lag on my AT+T Andriod Dell Streak 5, is when it is interacting with AT+T.
I expect it takes "More" to log into the network.
My live wallpaper stutters as I turn off airplane mode.
Peace