How can I stop my (Samsung) Camera app from closing every 2 minutes?

ship69

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello

How can I stop my (Samsung) Camera app from closing every c. 2 minutes?

Background
I am trying to take videos using a tripod, and I have discovered the "Video Pro" mode, which gives a lot of extra features (including being able to see which microphone(s) are connected and changing it if required).

BUT it keeps kicking me out every c.2 minutes, back to the home screen (I think). This is extremely irritating because each time it kicks me out it forgets what my zoom setting was.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

J

PS I have set the screen not to close for 10 minutes, so that's not the issue.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you actively recording? If not, the camera app is hard-coded to close in that time and cannot be changed. You can, however, set the 'Settings to Keep' in the camera Settings so that you can return to where you were before it timed out. If it's stopping while recording, I'd make sure you're using a suitable video resolution and that you have enough storage left.

ship69

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Are you actively recording? If not, the camera app is hard-coded to close in that time and cannot be changed. You can, however, set the 'Settings to Keep' in the camera Settings so that you can return to where you were before it timed out. If it's stopping while recording, I'd make sure you're using a suitable video resolution and that you have enough storage left.

No, it is kicking me out in between recording sessions.

It is deeply irritating of "Big Brother" Samsung to have hard-coded this setting, if that's what they've really done.

Either way, I can't find any way to go back to my previous zoom setting that I set within Pro Video mode.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Problem isn't time-out of the screen; the app itself closes after a hard-coded-and-cannot-be-changed period of inactivity/recording.

ship69

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Problem isn't time-out of the screen; the app itself closes after a hard-coded-and-cannot-be-changed period of inactivity/recording.

A 2-minute timeout may suffice for taking selfies, but as any professional can tell you, when you are trying to shoot some video in any remotely serious way, a 2-minute timeout that resets your zoom is TOTALLY insufficient. [GRRRR!]

Samsung has obviously failed to do user trials with any serious users.

Anyone here know how and where we complain?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A 2-minute timeout may suffice for taking selfies, but as any professional can tell you, when you are trying to shoot some video in any remotely serious way, a 2-minute timeout that resets your zoom is TOTALLY insufficient. [GRRRR!]

Samsung has obviously failed to do user trials with any serious users.

Anyone here know how and where we complain?

Use the Samsung Members app to give feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

darthbiden

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
Im having the same problem and made this account to hopefully share a possible solution. Instead of leaving your phone open on tripod set your camera up and close the phone so the timeout doesn't happen. If you set your settings appropriately you can open your phone with the remote and it opens to the camera as you left it. I hope this works.

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I also find this annoying on my S20 FE.

It doesn't seem to have a Camera Timeout setting as mentioned above.

Device interfaces keep getting worse. Stripping away and hiding features and settings.