How do I go on about updating AOKP when a new version is released?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Currently I am running AOKP latest version(stable) and I was wondering how to update when a new version of the ROM comes out? do I have to wipe my phone every update or is there an app that will let me update OTA? I also have Franco kernel, if there is an OTA app then will it mess with franco kernel and mess my phone up?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Always make a backup first in your recovery.

Next if your staying with the same ROM like AOKP you can normally dirty flash into a new update. Wipe dalvik and cache partition and flash.

Just don't wipe data/factory reset and 99.9 % if the time you will be good

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Always make a backup first in your recovery.

Next if your staying with the same ROM like AOKP you can normally dirty flash into a new update. Wipe dalvik and cache partition and flash.

Just don't wipe data/factory reset and 99.9 % if the time you will be good
So make back up, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, flash new version of ROM and I'll be good?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes that is how I do it when I'm just updating a ROM.

Signs of a bad flash... won't boot or problems with play store or other apps force closing. In that case return to your recovery and restore your backup. Then you may want to do a full wipe data, etc and start from scratch. In this event don't forget you can always restore app data if you used titanium backup or my back up root to save your apps/data.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Everything Paul said.... to expand, any ROM update could potentially require a clean flash or you will experience issues similar to what Paul said in previous post, even a small update. If one sensitive part of the system code gets changed and you keep old bat data in there, you always run the risk of an issue. That said, yes you can usually dirty flash (flash without wiping data) for incremental updates and be alright.. but if you get weird random issues, force closes, etc, you must assume it is due to the dirty flash and not the ROM. This is why the developers recommend you clean flash (full wipe) every time.

Personally since I don't have a ton of time, I update my ROM only about once a month or less often.. and because of this I never dirty flash. I rather take the time when I have it to set everything up again (it's not hard if you use Titanium Backup and once you get used to the process it takes about 20-30 minutes) than screw something up and be required to do a clean flash when I might not have the time later. I also never make backups anymore so that's another reason I want to do what I can to ensure the flash is stable - though I recommend all users make nandroid backups until you reach a high comfort level where you can troubleshoot your own issues.

:)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Everything Paul said.... to expand, any ROM update could potentially require a clean flash or you will experience issues similar to what Paul said in previous post, even a small update. If one sensitive part of the system code gets changed and you keep old bat data in there, you always run the risk of an issue. That said, yes you can usually dirty flash (flash without wiping data) for incremental updates and be alright.. but if you get weird random issues, force closes, etc, you must assume it is due to the dirty flash and not the ROM. This is why the developers recommend you clean flash (full wipe) every time.

Personally since I don't have a ton of time, I update my ROM only about once a month or less often.. and because of this I never dirty flash. I rather take the time when I have it to set everything up again (it's not hard if you use Titanium Backup and once you get used to the process it takes about 20-30 minutes) than screw something up and be required to do a clean flash when I might not have the time later. I also never make backups anymore so that's another reason I want to do what I can to ensure the flash is stable - though I recommend all users make nandroid backups until you reach a high comfort level where you can troubleshoot your own issues.

:)

I feel I'm getting to the level where I won't need much help, I'm pretty comfortable with CWMR and I've tried out plenty of ROMs and kernels so I'm getting comfortable. But if I have a major issue I'll come running back to you guys:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov