How do i so my samsung s8+ from whistling at me?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've been searching countless threads about the Samsung whistle, and I have not found a single one that talks about the problem that I am having. Many of the posts are from 2015 and 16 and deal with the Galaxy S3. Some people say that the whistle sound has gone away with the S6, but the descriptive spelling they use is "de do" for the whistle or "bird call" so I'm not sure if this is the same whistle they're talking about. This is my first Samsung. It's more like a "whe-oo-wEET!" sound. I have a Samsung S8+ and just yesterday for no reason it started whistling at me. It is the "hey you" 3 note kind of whistle that you would whistle at a dog or to try to get someone's attention. My internet is connected with no additional things needed. The taskbar the top of my screen doesn't show any strange symbols indicating that something needs to be addressed. I've closed all the windows of apps that are active on my phone. I've gone to accessibility and turned off all notification sounds. I've individually turned every single app's notification rights to off. Nothing is set to a whistle anyway. It whistles about four times with a few seconds pause between each. And then it's silent for maybe a minute and then it starts whistling again. When I adjust the volume there are several different sliders for system, notifications, media, Etc. I've slipped them all down one at a time during the whistling series to see which one is causing it and it's coming from media, not notifications. It's as if it's a program, but nothing shows as being open. I have gone to the setting for my memory and click to clear background apps and the cache. Some people said a "whistle sound" that was annoying them was a Yahoo mail thing trying to connect, which I saw in the background apps list, so I cleared it. I thought that stopped the problem but a few moments later it started whistling again so I went back into that to see what was running and the programs were all still gone. I have spent hours trying to do different settings on my phone to get rid of the whistling but the only thing that works is muting all media, which is not ideal for the way I use my phone. Is this a virus? Is this an update? My phone is up to date. Having to do a factory reset would be completely obnoxious and I consider that a very last resort... But I was hoping anyone would provide insight into this. Is anybody else having this problem?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the problem, but in things like this where I can't find the culprit immediately, a system cache wipe through the recover menu is my go to option to clear it up.
I've been searching countless threads about the Samsung whistle, and I have not found a single one that talks about the problem that I am having. Many of the posts are from 2015 and 16 and deal with the Galaxy S3. Some people say that the whistle sound has gone away with the S6, but the descriptive spelling they use is "de do" for the whistle or "bird call" so I'm not sure if this is the same whistle they're talking about. This is my first Samsung. It's more like a "whe-oo-wEET!" sound. I have a Samsung S8+ and just yesterday for no reason it started whistling at me. It is the "hey you" 3 note kind of whistle that you would whistle at a dog or to try to get someone's attention. My internet is connected with no additional things needed. The taskbar the top of my screen doesn't show any strange symbols indicating that something needs to be addressed. I've closed all the windows of apps that are active on my phone. I've gone to accessibility and turned off all notification sounds. I've individually turned every single app's notification rights to off. Nothing is set to a whistle anyway. It whistles about four times with a few seconds pause between each. And then it's silent for maybe a minute and then it starts whistling again. When I adjust the volume there are several different sliders for system, notifications, media, Etc. I've slipped them all down one at a time during the whistling series to see which one is causing it and it's coming from media, not notifications. It's as if it's a program, but nothing shows as being open. I have gone to the setting for my memory and click to clear background apps and the cache. Some people said a "whistle sound" that was annoying them was a Yahoo mail thing trying to connect, which I saw in the background apps list, so I cleared it. I thought that stopped the problem but a few moments later it started whistling again so I went back into that to see what was running and the programs were all still gone. I have spent hours trying to do different settings on my phone to get rid of the whistling but the only thing that works is muting all media, which is not ideal for the way I use my phone. Is this a virus? Is this an update? My phone is up to date. Having to do a factory reset would be completely obnoxious and I consider that a very last resort... But I was hoping anyone would provide insight into this. Is anybody else having this problem?

Docpride1

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
Here's some more information ( because this is my question): turning the phone on airplane mode is another thing I tried to see if it was trying to connect to something, but airplane mode did not affect it. I have restarted my phone in Safe Mode and turned media volume back on and there is no whistling. Unfortunately that doesn't tell me what app is causing it and I haven't installed anything recently, but at least being able to start the phone in Safe Mode and have the noise not happen means I can remove whatever it is.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a notification from some app, so restart in normal mode, then open the installed apps, one bu one, go to the app's menu, to settings, to notifications and, if the app lets you choose the sound for the notification, choose the sound. Then see what sound it's using. (Tapping the next one, then tapping the original one will give you the original sound.) Unless you have dozens of apps, it shouldn't take long to find the one doing it. Then just change it.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Boot into safe mode, see if it still happens. If yes, it's a system notification you'll have to locate. If gone, it's an app you installed which has its own notification ability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174