How good is the Gorilla Glass 3 ?

WP_290

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I now this is a common future since a good time, but is my first time with a cellphone with gorilla glass, I would like to know what to expect. I usually use my phones without any protection, I dont like bulky phones.

For the very first time I tried to use a screen protector but the thing was bigger by a hair than the screen and I had a big bubble...so I get rid of it. I just want to know how much abuse in your experience the GG3 can withstand? I usually carry my phone in my right empy pocket (jeans)

The phone is a Moto X 2013

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It is pretty scratch resistant, but hat is just it, resistant. I can also understand the dislike for bulky cases. Something I started doing a while ago was putting my case on my phone when I leave the house, but pulling it off when I get home. My place is mostly carpeted, so drops aren't much of a concern. As for cases, I get ones that have a protector integrated in them, that way the screen still gets protected when I am out and about, but at home, I can enjoy the glass.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't care what glass you use, even sapphire glass, if you drop it on the right little pebble, at the right angle, it'll shatter. Even the tempered glass screen protectors will break if hit right. A TPU case, OTOH, will usually keep the glass from being hit, and will absorb enough shock so that nothing in the phone breaks.

I don't like wearing a helmet when on a motorcycle, but if I'm ever thrown off one and hit a tree head first, I'll be really glad that I was wearing the hot bulky thing. Now, while it's true that it's cheaper replacing the glass on a phone, or even the whole phone, than my head, I always use a screen protector (a properly fitting one isn't larger than the screen) and a TPU case. They're cheap insurance. Sure the phone is bulky, but after using one on a Note 3 for about a year, holding the phone without the case on it feels "wrong". That's not my phone, that's a thin plastic thing that works like my phone. You got used to adult teeth, you can get used to a phone case too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DnsBlk