How many want a phone to work out of the box vs those who like to fiddle/play with your phone a lot?

How do you feel about the time new technology is taking away from you to keep it working?

• Total voters

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I may be old school or less techie, but I like my phones to work reliably with little fiddling right out of the box. Coming back to android after years away I'm kinda bummed how much time is involved getting a new higher end phone up and running. I rarely download apps and don't play games, just use my phone for phone basics, and navigation once in a great while.
With all this tech in our lives now it seems like I don't have enough time for life....too busy always doing something at night or weekends trying to keep all the family tech stuff up and running, along with the rest of stuff in life that eats up your time. And I'm not picking on android, all tech I encounter is pretty much the same.

How do you guys feel about this?

To clarify.....my Moto X Pure updated from lollipop to Marshmallow straight out of the box, and has never worked right since. I know a factory reset is recommended after an os update, but it seems like that's the norm for most all electronics now days. And with a household full of electronics that I have to keep running because I'm the IT guy, it seems I'm always fighting with something.

Last edited:

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Huh? To me my phone is neither an entertainment device or fashion accessory. I have no idea what your are referring to when you say "up and running". When I fire up a new phone and put in my Google ID (gmail address) it asks me if if I want to transfer everything from my previous phone. I answer yes and go get a coffee while it grinds away. A few minutes later I'm ready to rock and roll.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Huh? To me my phone is neither an entertainment device or fashion accessory. I have no idea what your are referring to when you say "up and running". When I fire up a new phone and put in my Google ID (gmail address) it asks me if if I want to transfer everything from my previous phone. I answer yes and go get a coffee while it grinds away. A few minutes later I'm ready to rock and roll.

I clarified my post above.....you're right, I needed to be more specific ;)
It's not so much just about phones, it's also about all the tech in general that constantly seems to eat my time up keeping it all running, since no one else is able to :(

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I want both... reliability and customization. The LGV10 - Verizon setup I am on now provides me with enough of both to satisfy my needs 100%.

I never had to do anything other than a factory reset after the MM update.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow.....all I can say is I think Nexus needs to be my next phone......seriously :)

I also had no issues with updating a 2013 Moto X from KitKat to Lollipop, or updating my current Moto X Pure Edition from Lollipop to Marshmallow.

I've never done FDR on any of these Android devices.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've updated my Moto devices several times and never needed a factory data reset. I just cleared cache and wiped the cache partition and all was good.

About your original question. With a new phone I sign in, let Google run its restore magic, download my hand made widgets and launcher setups and in no time have a copy of my old phone. Not much work at all.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I also had no issues with updating a 2013 Moto X from KitKat to Lollipop, or updating my current Moto X Pure Edition from Lollipop to Marshmallow.

I've never done FDR on any of these Android devices.

I've updated my Moto devices several times and never needed a factory data reset. I just cleared cache and wiped the cache partition and all was good.

About your original question. With a new phone I sign in, let Google run its restore magic, download my hand made widgets and launcher setups and in no time have a copy of my old phone. Not much work at all.

You guys are giving me a complex :D ......all I did was start my phone up for the first time, it updated to MM, it synched my contacts, and I started using it. It was working fine till a few days later when I set up Moto voice and the other Moto options. It then quit giving me ANY audible notifications at all, not even vibration, and then the bluetooth function stopped working. So I ended up with a phone I could call out on only :(

I factory reset it yesterday....but I haven't set it back up for use yet. Part of me is afraid it's going to give me more problems, and I'll have to start the painful process of getting a NEW replacement from Lenovo....I mean Motorola lol. I know they'll want to ship me out somebody else's problem, and with a major back surgery coming up and a million other things to take care of, fighting with a phone or phone manufacturer isn't something I have the time or patience for right now :(

yogosans14

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Android is for tech nerds like me who like to customize there phone as much as possible, iOS bored me to death. But I know a lot of people who could care less about customizing and stuff so they obviously choose iPhone which is perfectly fine.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Android is for tech nerds like me who like to customize there phone as much as possible, iOS bored me to death. But I know a lot of people who could care less about customizing and stuff so they obviously choose iPhone which is perfectly fine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to customize your phone at all. I think everybody likes to fiddle with the things that interest them ;)
I have noticed a huge change in android since froyo tho, which is the last time I used it lol.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you actually. I'm more of a fan of simplicity. I like that my SE works out of the box well, I felt like I only had to do tweaks that I wanted to do, rather than feeling like I have to do them so that things would be okay. I do find iOS to be pretty boring though.

I voted for "I like the time" because to me, I kind of do but it depends how much I actually have to do. If I don't have to do much, great! If I have to do a lot, I get tired.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
You guys are giving me a complex :D ......all I did was start my phone up for the first time, it updated to MM, it synched my contacts, and I started using it. It was working fine till a few days later when I set up Moto voice and the other Moto options. It then quit giving me ANY audible notifications at all, not even vibration, and then the bluetooth function stopped working. So I ended up with a phone I could call out on only :(

I factory reset it yesterday....but I haven't set it back up for use yet. Part of me is afraid it's going to give me more problems, and I'll have to start the painful process of getting a NEW replacement from Lenovo....I mean Motorola lol. I know they'll want to ship me out somebody else's problem, and with a major back surgery coming up and a million other things to take care of, fighting with a phone or phone manufacturer isn't something I have the time or patience for right now :(

I'm currently using a refurbished MXPE. My original device that I got in October 2015 died in April 2016. I returned it for warranty service and got a refurbished device running Marshmallow out of the box. I set it up, and it's been running fine since. Although the device that died was running Marshmallow that I updated from Lollipop, the problems weren't from Marshmallow. The defective device had hardware problems; it had nothing to do with Marshmallow.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Not true, I like to customize my phone...to a point. After an initial set up and some Nova implementations I'm done, I have no time or desire to fiddle with this stuff incessantly, it's a work device for me, not a play thing. However, just some basic customization is enough to keep me away from Apple, nor do I want to be roped into the Apple ecosystem.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Not true. A lot of people use Android phones right out of the box, downloading a few apps and going on with their life. Or Android wouldn't sell as well as it does. A few people do use those outdated phones, the inexpensive phones like a Trac phone bought from a big box store with cheap plans. They don't care about much as long as it works and it does.

I like playing with my phone. I preferred it when Android didn't just drop an app on the screen when you downloaded as I prefer to customize it. But it's easier for others because it's there, somewhere on the screen. My dad's screens are a mess. He mostly used his samsung phone to make calls with a few games and apps my brother said he needed.

Posted via the *Note 5*

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I've always pre-ordered my phones and had it delivered to my home.

I enjoy fiddling with it and customizing it to my own taste.

To each their own??

Last edited: