How to customize notification sound using MY SOUNDS?

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
All I want to do is change the notification sound to my own custom file. I thought this would be easy - go figure?

I see that the Pixel 3 uses the new sound interface when you go to alter the notification setting. When I choose the My Sounds folder nothing is there except the Google Hangouts tone. I also notice that if I go to change my ringtone and then select the My Sounds folder I see a different list of available sounds than the notification one.
Ah ha - so the My Sounds is sort of like a place-holder. So, how do I get my audio file to appear here?

Here's what I've tried so far:
I notice the pre-existing files is: hangouts_message.ogg
So, I've tried both MP3 & OGG variants of my file.
So - where to place the custom file? I've placed my file in the \android\media folder where I see the hangouts_message.ogg file - that didn't work though.

I've googled this issue and some people said they made a "ringtone" and "notification" subfolder in android\media - that didn't work for me.

One person said the file showed up when he placed it in the "download" folder - that didn't work for me either.

I also tried a copy in the "notifications" folder off of the root - no luck.

Oh - and I've rebooted the phone each time I try a new location.

My guess is that some process has to happen to get an audio file "registered" to show up and appear in the My Sounds folder. Sort of like registering a DLL file in Windows. Either it has to be placed in a specific location (I rather doubt that now) or it has to be recognized by the android o/s somehow. Once it's properly recognized, it will appear in My Sounds. At least that is my guess.

I've also tried renaming the file. Since the hangout one appears and is named "hangouts_message.ogg" I tried naming my to "test_message.ogg" (I converted it to an ogg file format first) and that didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Settings>Apps & Notifications>(whatever app you are trying to set)>Notifications>Default Notifications Channel>(Advanced Pulldown)>Sound

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Settings>Apps & Notifications>(whatever app you are trying to set)>Notifications>Default Notifications Channel>(Advanced Pulldown)>Sound

Thanks for your reply, but I think you missed my point.
When I go through these steps to select the notification sound I want to be able to choose my own custom sound file. How do I get my own sound files to appear as a choice verses the Pixel defaults?
I'm assuming that is what the "My Sounds" folder is intended for.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, but I think you missed my point.
When I go through these steps to select the notification sound I want to be able to choose my own custom sound file. How do I get my own sound files to appear as a choice verses the Pixel defaults?
I'm assuming that is what the "My Sounds" folder is intended for.
Yeah, you want to have individual files created in your audio folder, ringtones and notifications. If you have some sort of file app like esfile or something like that it should be easy to do.
9cb34be48eedc43238915094bf5fa34d.jpg

Gingersnaps35

Mar 27, 2019
Visit site
I have a Pixel 3 on VZW and I don't see these menus that you are speaking of in this post. Granted, I just came over from iPhone but I am not a stranger to Android. I just don't understand why I don't see the options that your screenshots show in this thread.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
All I want to do is change the notification sound to my own custom file. I thought this would be easy - go figure?
I've googled this issue and some people said they made a "ringtone" and "notification" subfolder in android\media - that didn't work for me.

I'm not sure about it needing to be in a "media" folder but I have mine in a folder STRUCTURE under a media folder under a custom directory I set up, and it has worked for all versions of Android over many years. It might take a bit to be detected, try reboot as well.

I've also tried renaming the file. Since the hangout one appears and is named "hangouts_message.ogg" I tried naming my to "test_message.ogg" (I converted it to an ogg file format first) and that didn't work.

The name of the sound will be in the title metadata. The NAME of the file is IGNORED (maybe not if the metadata doesn't exist).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meta321