How to delete + or +1 in front of incoming calls?

Broccoli Man

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Gal S7 Edge - As stated above, all call or texts coming in have + or +1 in front of the number, so a fast easy redial is out of the question. If whoever is calling is not in my contacts, I have to write down the number then call it back pushing each number individually. Not an easy task when driving, and it defeats the purpose of automation. When I first called Pure Talk about this, the initial contact (the ones who try and sell you plans and phones) said she had heard this is a common problem with these phones. She transferred me to Tech Support; I hung up after a 30 minute wait. I called back just last week, went right to Tech Support, no one there knew what I was talking about. I was put on hold and after 20 mins was automatically transferred back to the original initial customer service! Forty five minutes, and nothing was accomplished.

Please please please, someone knows how to fix this, please help!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The phone won't let you redial a number with a +1 in front of it? That's odd, because it shouldn't make a difference.

Last edited:

Broccoli Man

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I am registered here as Broccoli Man.

When I try to respond the phone thinks I'm trying to call an international number and I'm being asked to please check my rate plan, blah blah...

I looked on the AT&T forums for this issue; 11 pages and 5 years after the original post, no one has come up with a solution. I'm hoping someone has fix for this!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I rearranged your thread a little -- your initial post was as a guest, which was why I had initially replied with a link to register. Then you posted a duplicate thread, this time after registering. So I ended up editing this thread by making you the owner of the original guest post, and then edited out my link in my reply, and deleted the duplicate thread.

The menu might be a little different on my phone (Pixel 3 XL), but try opening your Phone app, then tap Menu>Settings>Assisted Dialing, and turn that off.

Broccoli Man

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy, thank you for your replies. For some reason I couldn't log in the first time when I posted my question, then I got myself logged in and gave it a second shot.

I cannot find the Assisted Dialing setting, although I did manage to get into it previously. I turned that off as I saw suggested earlier to no avail. Also on that same screen, I limited the numbers to 10 numbers only to no avail, I deleted the country code (1) because I never call international, and that doesn't help either. The Techie at Pure Talk even sent me a few texts to see if she had found a solution, and they all came through with the + in front of the number.

First of all, I need to get into Assisted Dialing again, and I can't figure out how to do that. Settings>Assisted Dialing... There is something before the Assisted Dialing that I am missing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What other options do you have in the Phone app's Settings menu? Could it be embedded in the Call menu?

Broccoli Man

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
The Assisted Dialing path is Phone>Settings>More Settings>Assisted Dialing. Whew, got that figured out, lol!

I have disabled the AD
The Country Code is blank ( it was 1 until I deleted it.
IDD Prefix is blank
NDD Prefix is blank
City/Area Code is my 10 digit number
National Number Length is 10 digits

Broccoli Man

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
We're looking at the same info from Verizon, this doesn't seem to help. I'm wondering if it's an AT&T issue; I never had this problem when I was on the VZ plan.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
For Samsung it's under "other call settings".
70e19576fbceed5402f5f374a792659e.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And the problem persists?

The odd thing is that it's pretty normal for the +1 to show in the incoming call. That's how it works on my Pixel 3 XL on T-Mobile, and I'm able to return the call without problem. This makes me think it's an issue with the Pure TalkUSA firmware (or perhaps some preinstalled system app from Pure TalkUSA) that throws up this warning since many customers might not have an international calling plan).

Also, did you dig through the options in your My Account website for Pure TalkUSA? https://www.puretalkusa.com/account/login

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
More information suggesting it's an issue with how Pure TalkUSA works (from this website: https://www.letstalk.com/cellphones/carriers/pure-talkusa/pure-talkusa-plans/):

"Pure Talk has minimal international service options. You can make international calls (for standard costs) if you purchase an “international PIN,” but you cannot send texts. In that regard, Pure TalkUSA is made for those interested in communicating with friends and family within the U.S. and U.S. territories. When compared to other MVNO carriers with included international options, like Mint Mobile or Cricket, this can be considered a real drawback."

Since international calling and texts are so restricted, that may be why it always prompts you. Hopefully there's a way to prevent the message by removing that country code, but it might not be possible -- this conflict could be an oversight by the Pure TalkUSA engineers.

Broccoli Man

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
More information suggesting it's an issue with how Pure TalkUSA works (from this website: https://www.letstalk.com/cellphones/carriers/pure-talkusa/pure-talkusa-plans/):

"Pure Talk has minimal international service options. You can make international calls (for standard costs) if you purchase an “international PIN,” but you cannot send texts. In that regard, Pure TalkUSA is made for those interested in communicating with friends and family within the U.S. and U.S. territories. When compared to other MVNO carriers with included international options, like Mint Mobile or Cricket, this can be considered a real drawback."

Since international calling and texts are so restricted, that may be why it always prompts you. Hopefully there's a way to prevent the message by removing that country code, but it might not be possible -- this conflict could be an oversight by the Pure TalkUSA engineers.

I never call International. As I said previously, I went to AT&T forums (Pure Talk uses the AT&T network) and people 5 years ago were asking the same question. If this is an oversight by engineers it may be AT&T engineers, but one would think they would have figured this out by now? And an update with the fix would have come across? I don't know. I will try Pure Talk Tech Support again if this problem persists. And as far as the +1 being OK to redial and getting through, I never had this issue when I was with VZ, so I didn't notice if the +1's were coming through or not. I'm glad it works for you, but not on my Samsung. The customer service gal even said she was hearing that about these phones...ARGGHH!

I like your avatar BTW, those guys are great!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with @B. Diddy that it sounds like a limitation of Pure Talk and its restrictions on international calling. I used to have a postpaid account with actual AT&T, not any of its MVNOs, and I did not have those issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, frustrating. Let me see if any of the other Ambassadors on AT&T have encountered this.

EDIT: Laura Knotek was reading my mind ... ;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I went to AT&T forums (Pure Talk uses the AT&T network) and people 5 years ago were asking the same question.

Do you know for sure if those people were on typical postpaid AT&T accounts, or could they have been using the prepaid accounts (which might be more likely to have similar international call restrictions or warnings)?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174