Question How to delete sdcardbackup

jcasqueiro

Jul 14, 2023
Visit site
Hi All !
I have switched mobile phones using smartswitch and I have seen that my sdcard was backed up to a internal folder sdcardbackup which I am not able to delete, I don't know why.
Can anyone give me pointers on how to delete this folder?
Thanks/Brgds
jc

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. Just a couple of quick questions.

Is this backup on your old device?

What are your plans for the old device?

Is the old device also a Samsung?

How you locating the file on the device? File manager, a settings tab or indicator which says there is a backup or some other way?

Not knowing your answers to my questions I will be making assumptions to offer some basic and generic advice. First if you are returning or fully decommissioning the device a factory reset should eliminate the back up as it should wipe all personal data from the device. Factory resetting the device should also void the encryption association between the card and the device. So if the backup is not removed for some reason the encryption needed to read the information will be lost making the data useless. If you do not intend to reset the device, although it is highly recommended, the use of a file manager, usually called File, My Files or File manager depending on the device, can be used to navigate to the folder and delete its content. If you cannot find the exact path, most file manger apps have a search function which, if the name you provided in your post is accurate, can be used to locate and delete the folder and/or the file within.

Let us know what you find and we can offer more advice with better information.

Best wishes

jcasqueiro

Jul 14, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

Is this backup on your old device?
jc] No, it's on the new one

What are your plans for the old device?
jc] It has already been decommissioned

Is the old device also a Samsung?
jc] Yes, it was a A16 and the new one a A23

How you locating the file on the device? File manager, a settings tab or indicator which says there is a backup or some other way?
jc] Via file explorer on my windows PC (connected through cable). When I go to internal storage, I see this sdcardback folder which is occupying a lot of space that I need.

The issue is that when I press DELETE, it says it can't delete because the phone is disconnected or something like that (but it is connected and I can browse and edit files etc.)

Thanks/Brgds
joao

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I asked the phone stuff because I thought it might be on the old device. Since we're talking the new device it doesn't matter. In the meantime try from your onboard file manager app. On Samsung it is just called Files you can find it in your app drawer by swiping up from the bottom of your home screen or typing files into settings search bar on the device. From there you can follow the path you mentioned or type the file name into the search bar you find in the app and the file manager should allow you to delete the file. One thing though if it created this backup without your permission or not at your request it will likely create another at the next backup interval. I don't know how to turn that off...?

Reactions: jcasqueiro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter