[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Woody_Thrall

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Hanging on factoryfs.rfs

First off I'd like to thank this community for all the support they've provided all along. I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to help me out today. I've used Odin before, but this time around I've hit a wall.

I'm trying to Odin SPH-D700-EC05-8gb-REL.tar onto my Epic and I'm constantly hanging on the factory.rfs portion.

I'm using a WinXP 32 bit desktop with the correct drivers.
Anti-Virus disabled.
Battery and SD card removed.
Have successfully Odin'd with this cable before and have tried multiple USB ports.
Can power phone into Download (digger) mode and Odin 1.61 recognizes it.
I select the file above in the PDA field, no PIT.
Check only Auto Reboot
Start
Everything if fine until I hit factoryfs.rfs whih then hangs without a failure (15 minute wait time)
Pull the plug on the phone, try again. I've been at it all day at this point.

I've tried variations with and without a PIT, but I'm still stuck in no man's land.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Woody_Thrall

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow... interesting footnote for other people getting hung part way through the Odin process.

On a whim I plugged the Rock Band USB hub into my computer, my phone into that. Odin completed in 2 minutes, 41 seconds. If you're having hang troubles see if you can dig up some sort of extra USB bridge (external hub, monitor, etc).

:-$

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow... interesting footnote for other people getting hung part way through the Odin process.

On a whim I plugged the Rock Band USB hub into my computer, my phone into that. Odin completed in 2 minutes, 41 seconds. If you're having hang troubles see if you can dig up some sort of extra USB bridge (external hub, monitor, etc).

:-$
I have heard this before people using a powered USB hub/extender and it pushing it to work.. Odin comes all down to connection, bottom line. If your computer isn't putting out a strong enough feed through the cable to the phone its just not gonna work.

Reactions: Woody_Thrall

ShIzNiTs

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So I had DK28 running Truly Epic Rom v1.2 and I just Odin to the EC13 because the EC05 tar file kept crashing in Odin before it even got up and running.

I am currently doing the OTA update.

When I had DK28 with Truly Epic Rom my phone was rooted, is it still rooted? Also does root = ext4, or no, ext4 and rfs are completely separate topics.

I am not sure what I have now that I have Odin'd with EC13; but what I would like is EC05 rooted running ext4. So now what do I do? TIA.

EDIT: So the OTA is done and now its running Froyo EC05. So is my filesystem still EXT4? Am I still rooted? Is ClockWorkMod still installed?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So I had DK28 running Truly Epic Rom v1.2 and I just Odin to the EC13 because the EC05 tar file kept crashing in Odin before it even got up and running.

I am currently doing the OTA update.

When I had DK28 with Truly Epic Rom my phone was rooted, is it still rooted? Also does root = ext4, or no, ext4 and rfs are completely separate topics.

I am not sure what I have now that I have Odin'd with EC13; but what I would like is EC05 rooted running ext4. So now what do I do? TIA.

EDIT: So the OTA is done and now its running Froyo EC05. So is my filesystem still EXT4? Am I still rooted? Is ClockWorkMod still installed?

You will need to root your phone again. Go to the Rooting for EC05 sticky thread and jump straight to procedure #2. That will root/EXT4 and CWM 3.0.0.6.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
First off I'd like to thank this community for all the support they've provided all along. I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to help me out today. I've used Odin before, but this time around I've hit a wall.

I'm trying to Odin SPH-D700-EC05-8gb-REL.tar onto my Epic and I'm constantly hanging on the factory.rfs portion.

I'm using a WinXP 32 bit desktop with the correct drivers.
Anti-Virus disabled.
Battery and SD card removed.
Have successfully Odin'd with this cable before and have tried multiple USB ports.
Can power phone into Download (digger) mode and Odin 1.61 recognizes it.
I select the file above in the PDA field, no PIT.
Check only Auto Reboot
Start
Everything if fine until I hit factoryfs.rfs whih then hangs without a failure (15 minute wait time)
Pull the plug on the phone, try again. I've been at it all day at this point.

I've tried variations with and without a PIT, but I'm still stuck in no man's land.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

The exact same thing happened to me. Turns out the USB cable I've been using all this time went bad (didn't know that was possible). Bought a Blackberry USB cable from Amazon, and Odin is working perfectly now.

eozdalga

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Quick question, is there a way to know what file system you have? I'm was just planning to odin from EC05 back to EB13 to start fresh before reinstalling back to EC05 but was wondering if this ever changes the file system back to RFS?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If you use Odin to return to a stock form of OS then your filesystem will be reset to RFS filesystem which is what it came formatted from factory. The only way it wouldn't is if you used an Odin package that was prerooted and already converted EXT4 filesystem.

FYI, first procedure in this thread haas stock EC05 so you can Odin to that to reset/wipe your system then you just need to root/EXT4 again and your done. Eliminates the need to go back to EB13 and then upgrading to EC05.

Reactions: eozdalga

eozdalga

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
If you use Odin to return to a stock form of OS then your filesystem will be reset to RFS filesystem which is what it came formatted from factory. The only way it wouldn't is if you used an Odin package that was prerooted and already converted EXT4 filesystem.

FYI, first procedure in this thread haas stock EC05 so you can Odin to that to reset/wipe your system then you just need to root/EXT4 again and your done. Eliminates the need to go back to EB13 and then upgrading to EC05.

As always thanks Paul!

ShIzNiTs

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried to Odin straight to the EC05 Sprint Stock from the DK28 Truly Epic ROM, but Odin kept failing before it could launch. I ended up doing the EC13 Sprint Stock then doing OTA. Not sure why it worked with one versus the other, but either way I am very happy. Also thanks to Paul and Rag since you both are still here helping. The best thing is the broken down tutorials, I forgot how to do anything since I last flashed some months back.

maxertx

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello.. Ok trying method #1 and it hangs and my screen goes green.. I have tried both with battery pulled, with battery in.. is there a zip file I can put on my sd card and boot from recovery and try that?

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So my phone's speakers look like they are blown for some strange reason. I usually stream via BT so never noticed it before.
I'm gonna take it back to Sprint in a few days. From what I've read, it looks like the easiest path is to Odin back to EB13 then OTA to EC05 right?
Will this also unroot the phone too?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So my phone's speakers look like they are blown for some strange reason. I usually stream via BT so never noticed it before.
I'm gonna take it back to Sprint in a few days. From what I've read, it looks like the easiest path is to Odin back to EB13 then OTA to EC05 right?
Will this also unroot the phone too?
See OP in this thread. Procedure #1 will take you straight to EC05. You will be fully stock/unrooted.

WesR6

Mar 6, 2011
www.wmriders.com
Wifes phone had issues since she got it and it seemed to get worse after the OTA from 2.1 to 2.2 .
I was attempting to ODIN stock ec05 into her phone and now it hangs up on factoryfs.rfs and the screen turns blue. I've tried multiple times with battery, without battery and I cannot get it to go and each time it hangs up there with either 3-6 green progress bars and once the screen goes blue, the progress bars stop and it just sits.. I've tried to reboot and now I get a black screen that shows a phone icon needing to be connected to a computer icon.

Any ideas??

WesR6

Mar 6, 2011
www.wmriders.com
EC05 never did work. I downloaded ec05 twice without any luck. I downloaded the EB13.tar and was finally able to restore her phone using ODIN. Now onto my next problem. I used the file from the original post and now when I tried to update OTA it would fail on validating current system. I then downloaded the update.zip and it again failed on system verification.. Any ideas? I thought these were stock .tar files..

Error as follows..

Verifying current system...
"assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/MusicPlayer.odex" , "777bd04ec4c9a65b5cd158b8b04dc5efc48959ce1" E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7) Installation aborted.

-Wes

-Wes

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Her phone will not take the update OTA to froyo, also cannot use Update.zip. I used the eb13 tar file from the original post but now when I try OTA or update.zip I get a message saying that it failed system verification. Any ideas??

verifying current system....

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/MyMusicPlayer.odex" (then some long strings of numbers)
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted
Wes, since it seems to be having issues with Froyo try using Odin to go back to Eclair 2.1 (DI18). Then from there you can attempt the OTA updates. Worst case if it doesn't want to receive the updates then you have something solid to stand on then with Sprint/Sammy. You can tell them look she can't update her phone from Eclair and they should honor that somehow with an exchange for a refurb or something I would think....

I have no idea why its giving you issues with EB13 because that is the official .tar file. EC05 I have heard isn't an official .tar, so I can understand if its causing some issues.

Reactions: WesR6

WesR6

Mar 6, 2011
www.wmriders.com
Thanks for the info Paul. Never did get the phone working. She took it into sprint and they said it was a hardware problem (which is why I was trying to odin, it had been acting up lately and was hopeing a clean install would fix it) they replaced the guts in the phone. So far so good!

-Wes

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgibbs83