How to increase call volume for Galaxy S8 Active?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Here is what I've already done to attempt to solve the problem per the numerous articles referencing these steps:

1. Restarted the phone in safe mode: issue still persisted
2. Cleared default phone app cache in app settings: issue persisted
3. Use a third party volume boosting software to enhance call volume: issue persisted
4. Please do not tell me to turn on Dolby Atmos as when I click on that option it tells me exactly: "This sound effect works in earphone and Bluetooth headset mode only." I am NOT using a headset or Bluetooth, I am trying to put the phone to my face and use the built in ear speaker.
5. Turned on and off hearing aid mode: neither way increased the volume of the call
6. All apps both through Samsung and through Google Play are up to date
7. I have factory reset the phone: issue still persisted
8. I have used a soft toothbrush and a low amount of water and alcohol to clean the ear piece grill, it is not dirty or clogged.
9. I have checked for updates and I get a notification that my phone is up to date for the software it is running

I am running Android version 9, it literally just has the number "9" not 9.0 or any other numbers.

At this point it is either a bug with the software or it is a physical problem. I've seen many other posts across numerous forums, this website included, and there have been plenty of people who have said none of these problems have fixed their issue. I'm not hopeful my post will be any different, but if anyone has any additional insight into this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

dlwoodson2

May 29, 2020
Visit site
mustang7757:
I have seen you reply with your Dolby Atmos answer and it really just doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand how it can help if I press the button to turn it on and it literally says, "This sound effect works in earphone and Bluetooth headset mode only." as I said in my post. After hitting the button and getting that notification it does NOT turn on. There is no way to turn it on. If I go to the advanced sound options and navigate to the switch button for dolby atmos the entire option is grayed out and not able to be interacted with. Thus it cannot help. It simply cannot.

I have done two factory resets and neither fixed the problem. So it really seems that my phone is physically defective.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
mustang7757:
I have seen you reply with your Dolby Atmos answer and it really just doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand how it can help if I press the button to turn it on and it literally says, "This sound effect works in earphone and Bluetooth headset mode only." as I said in my post. After hitting the button and getting that notification it does NOT turn on. There is no way to turn it on. If I go to the advanced sound options and navigate to the switch button for dolby atmos the entire option is grayed out and not able to be interacted with. Thus it cannot help. It simply cannot.

I have done two factory resets and neither fixed the problem. So it really seems that my phone is physically defective.
Hi welcome!
I'm not going get into it about Dolby Atmos setting , im long time Samsung guy , it does make difference , maybe because something wrong your device you don't see it.

Now , I think before you send for repair or move on from your device , you can try flash the stock firmware see that could help, that way we know for certain not a software issue.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Let's rule out a couple of things.
Using a Bluetooth headset, is the volume OK?
Using the headphone jack, to a known headphone, is it okay?
Under Sound Quality and Effects, is your EQ at least level on the graph?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with methodman89 -- if the sound seems normal through wireless or Bluetooth headphones, then the problem may be with the earpiece speaker itself. If that's the case, it would probably have to be replaced.