How to make Note Pro 12.2 a Powerbook with Flash & QuickTime in browser?

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
BACKGROUND:
I bought the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 LTE version from Verizon the first day that it became available. It cost me a grand with Zagg keyboard and tax. I bought it as a Powerbook replacement (I could have easily bought a thin and lightweight Lenovo) and now I am regretting it and hoping that collectively we can resolve the issues that make this tablet so annoying for media professionals like myself and so many of you.

CORE ISSUES:
1- Constant "video can't play warnings" on any browser.
2- No system wide flash support, hence YouTube videos (owned by Google the maker of the Android OS) can't play in browser. This is just too weird, if Google hates Flash then why do they use it as formatting on YouTube?
3- No support for QuickTime (.mov), one of the most popular video formats out there for music, video, TV and film professionals. I can't watch anyone's reel, because they are all in .mov, which of course plays fine on all Apple mobile devices but not at all on my supposedly top of the line tablet. :mad:
4- Verzon tech support and Samsung support (level 2) not helpful in this regard. Actually Samsung level one can't tell the difference between a fridge and a tablet. The higher ups are much better, but can't help with issues mentioned above.

TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD:
Please let's not have 100 comments of bickering, I have gone through so many threads and still can't decide what's the best solution.

Let's please share absolute best practices currently known to us, for resolving the above issues and turning this tablet closer to a Powerbook as it was designed to be.

Thank you, :)

Last edited:

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm a media professional, too, and I find the 12.2 note pro wifi version to be a joy with no issues whatsoever. In fact, I sold my macbook air and use the 12.2 as its replacement. For flash I use the app called flashfox. It works perfectly. I'm a writer, so my basic use besides consumption of entertainment, email, research etc is writing and editing using hancom word (free) which is compatible with my work on my desktop mac. Maybe you should just return or sell it and go for a laptop and avoid the frustration -- clearly it's your tablet or you not knowing how to use it properly.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I want to be able to run flash and quicktime on the tablet on any browser. that's not much to ask for such a versatile tablet. I think that my original post is not complicated and easy to understand and I am looking for best practices. any other type of comment is not relevant to my post.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Just looked up Flashfox browser. Seems like a good suggestion, thanks, haven't tried it yet. Of course we have specialty lesser known browsers that allow flash to be played, such as Dolphin and Photon and now Flashbox, but I was hoping for a system wide flash plugin, which is not available.

Is it totally hopeless to want QuickTime access on this tablet?

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Is it totally hopeless to want QuickTime access on this tablet?

In browser? Yes it's hopeless.

You could always download the .MOV files and play them using 3rd party players. Playback is sometimes hit and miss there too though if the settings used during encoding of the media aren't supported by the player.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's a perfect example of shortcomings re video.

I want to watch the new episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jon Stewart. I tried it on Chrome, Opera, stock and Flashfox browsers and it wouldn't play.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Watching it right now in Dolphin. Not sure about the other browsers, I don't use them.

My primary browser is Chrome though, and I'll only switch to Dolphin for things like this. Like I said it's hit or miss but for this show it worked perfectly. If its not working for you even in Dolphin w/ jetpack then I'd suspect the Flash plugin install.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Update: Yes, I have now tried 5 browsers (firefox, chorme, stock, flashfox, dolphin) and the only one that plays the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee web series is Dolphin. Thanks!

Last edited:

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Update: Yes, I have now tried 5 browsers (firefox, chorme, stock, flashfox, dolphin) and the only one that plays the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee we series is Dolphin. Thanks!

Or you could just use the crackle app..the have that show on their streaming service for free :)

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii