How-To : Removing sprint bloatware (with root)

edbtzy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I was about to take that approach. Do I need to do anything to my phone before I redo most of the steps ( restore back to stock) or should I just do the steps all over again

Land Master

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
We really have derailed this thread. I sent a reply to your PM but it doesn't appear in my sent items. PM me to let me know if you got it. We can stick to PM's so as not to muck up this thread. Sending another one now.

everfine

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What I had to do was press the Mount R/W button twice. Do not press Mount R/O back until you are done because it reboots the phone.

Also in the /data/data/ folder try search for the sprint applications. They aren't labeled as you would think. com.handson, com.telenav....

Last edited:

ret2961#AC

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
great work guys! I'm sorry, I still didn't see how to make then stay "gone". You all tempted me too much and I dove in, did the simple SD card root, Titanium backup, (couldn't figure out what nand was or how to use it) and they apps reappear.

Sorry to bother, just trying to ride your coattails...

Thanks!

ret2961#AC

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Also, I did the root and what not, and now there is almost constant data connection with the "sync" circle on the top of the task bar. I don't know what's syncing, did I bust something?!?

Battery manager has something I've never seen before, "android.process.acore" running...

Last edited:

chris9876

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm ROOT'ed - What happens when SPRINT OTA updates?

So, I've rooted my EVO... got wireless tether working (sweet).. And, actually, IMO - I LOVE the ability to now reset the Phone, using an app... instead of pulling the friggin battery.

But, I haven't found the answer to this. When Sprint pushes the next update (perhaps froyo?) will I revert back to non-root SPRINT? Do I have to re-root every time Sprint updates. Is there an effective way to prevent sprint from updating (I read that you could rename a file (don't remember file name) eg. sticking .bck on it.... but I've read that's not efficient and actually causes the phone to keep trying to apply the update (or something like that).

So my question.

How do I stay rooted...? Can I prevent Sprint Updates? Is it a forever battle? I root, sprint updates, I root, etc.????

I used to have a Palm Pre... with the pre I'd apply patches, Sprint would update, and I'd re-apply the patches...

Personally, I'd like it if I could block Sprint! and control my own phones destiny. Any informative response would be greatly appreciated.

ret2961#AC

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, definitely some odd stuff going on...No matter if I restart or kill the data connection, as soon as its back on the sync icon appears and data starts running. Phone is running a little hot now and it is sucking the juice.

Any ideas? Or did I skunk myself?

Thanks

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
So, I've rooted my EVO... got wireless tether working (sweet).. And, actually, IMO - I LOVE the ability to now reset the Phone, using an app... instead of pulling the friggin battery.

But, I haven't found the answer to this. When Sprint pushes the next update (perhaps froyo?) will I revert back to non-root SPRINT? Do I have to re-root every time Sprint updates. Is there an effective way to prevent sprint from updating (I read that you could rename a file (don't remember file name) eg. sticking .bck on it.... but I've read that's not efficient and actually causes the phone to keep trying to apply the update (or something like that).

So my question.

How do I stay rooted...? Can I prevent Sprint Updates? Is it a forever battle? I root, sprint updates, I root, etc.????

I used to have a Palm Pre... with the pre I'd apply patches, Sprint would update, and I'd re-apply the patches...

Personally, I'd like it if I could block Sprint! and control my own phones destiny. Any informative response would be greatly appreciated.

You will stay rooted until you run an RUU or update via OTA. Best way, just don't accept the OTA and the RUU you run off your computer so it shouldn't be a problem.

coxcj77

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm so thankful for all the work everyone has put into this, however I'm still having problems. I am not familiar with any of the coding abilities to truly understand what I'm doing, but have been able to successfully root my Evo, back it up with Titanium backup, and even downloaded Root Explorer. In root explorer I changed the mount to r/w and "tried" to delete the Sprint programs. When I reboot the phone, they all come back.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong (being that I am a complete idiot that only knows enough to be dangerous)

Thanks

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, definitely some odd stuff going on...No matter if I restart or kill the data connection, as soon as its back on the sync icon appears and data starts running. Phone is running a little hot now and it is sucking the juice.

Any ideas? Or did I skunk myself?

Thanks

SYNC will continuously run if you delete certain apps, then try to use an app that relies on the app you deleted. I think I covered an example or two in the tutorial but ....

If you delete friendstream, then try to use any of the social networking features like HTCfacebook or HTCflickr, you will be stuck in an endless sync loop. The reason is, is these 2 apps actually rely on friendstream to function. Because they can't find friendstream, they keep trying and trying until you have a dead battery within a couple hours.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
great work guys! I'm sorry, I still didn't see how to make then stay "gone". You all tempted me too much and I dove in, did the simple SD card root, Titanium backup, (couldn't figure out what nand was or how to use it) and they apps reappear.

Sorry to bother, just trying to ride your coattails...

Thanks!
The reason they keep appearing for you is you need to do part 2 of toasts root and unlock NAND.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Want to provide some clarification for the two guys above ...

What you have done so far is only root your phone. This allows you to run certain apps that need root access to the phone. What you need to remove the bloatware is to unlock NAND after you've rooted (part 2 of toast). What unlocking NAND does is give you r/w permissions to the system directory. Until you unlock NAND you only have read access which is why it looks like you delete the app but they pop right back up.

Hope this helps

coxcj77

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Want to provide some clarification for the two guys above ...

What you have done so far is only root your phone. This allows you to run certain apps that need root access to the phone. What you need to remove the bloatware is to unlock NAND after you've rooted (part 2 of toast). What unlocking NAND does is give you r/w permissions to the system directory. Until you unlock NAND you only have read access which is why it looks like you delete the app but they pop right back up.

Hope this helps

This is the part where I'm lost. What part unlocks NAND? I thought I followed the instructions to the letter, even though I "coding illiterate"

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This is the part where I'm lost. What part unlocks NAND? I thought I followed the instructions to the letter, even though I "coding illiterate"

unrEVOked is a simple root. Does not unlock NAND. You could follow the instructions all day and it's not going to help you. Well i take that back, they may have changed things these days but originally it was a simple root, no NAND unlock. I don't follow their work so i wouldn't know if things have changed. Judging by what your experiencing, i would guess no.

Depending on your software number would determine how you should unlock NAND. Theres the old way (toast part 1 (root) and toast part 2(NAND)) and the new way for OTA folks, SimpleRoot OTA.

Search around theres thousands of threads discussing the stuff.

If you go back to my tutorial and click the link for the old method ... as long as you have root (yes, even unrEVOked simple root) and some general knowledge of ADB, that method will work for you.