[How-To] Root the LG Optimus V

topdawg661

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Very very much a newbie here, and I'm embarassingly already stumped.

I'm following the original post on this thread in order to try to root my LG Optimus V.

First, under "things I'll need" - I downloaded and installed the Sun JDK. All good. Yay!

Next, I downloaded the Windows SDK bundle. I unzipped it into the c:/ folder -- it's called "adt-bundle-windows-x86_64". Inside that is "adt-bundle-windows". Inside that are two folders for "eclipse" and "sdk".

So the next thing the instructions tell me to do is open the SDK manager. Presumably, based on the instructions, for me that would be "c:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\SDK Manager.exe", but no such file exists. Nor in c:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows either. Nor in the sdk folder inside of that. It's not obviously in "tools" or "platform-tools" inside THAT, either.

Did I install the Android SDK properly? Simply by copying and pasting the files into c:/, is that installing? If so, where is the SDK manager?

You need none of that now. Just Download an app called gingerbreak to root:)

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Code Putnam

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
a little help, i was following the guide and i get to the point of chmod 555 busybox and it says "unable to chmod busybox no such file or directory"

and stupid me decided to go ahead and adb reboot, and then my phone goes to a black screen, and well....thats it. wont power on, or power off, and the lights under the buttons wont light up.

hmmm, nvm, after if bricked i pulled the battery and rebooted it, and now i have root, thanks.

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: Info previously posted was not needed (didn't read last post all the way through).

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

DarthSigma

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I know it's been 2 years since this thread started, but I just rooted my VM Optimus V late last night. Thanks so much Revolution Red! On the first try I didn't get the message that it rooted correctly. I went ahead with the rest of the steps, and nothing happened when I ran super user. I then did a hard reset and started over. I still didn't get the message but I followed the rest of the steps. I then remembered that I didn't install titanium back up. Once I did that and ran that first, it worked! Thanks so much. Now I just need to install the best ROM for the V.
One more thing, can you point me in the right direction to get my Thrive tablet back to 3.0 from ICS? Half my apps freeze up now for some reason; I believe it has to do with the tablet not recognizing internet and GPS sometimes.

James Reid

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Well I tried what is written here and it too awhile to get to the point that I couldn't get SuperOneClick to run to completion or to the point that said it had temp root access. I tried everything I could think of from rebooting the phone to rerunning SuperOneClick (about 10 times) and still not luck. Didn't do any damage but didn't get it rooted either. I used the options on SuperOneClick as mentioned and also tried the Auto option neither worked. Right after rebooting the phone it went a little farther but then stopped dead. When I run SuperOneClick a second time it just hangs up at the same place

Just thought you'd like to know.

Jim:'(

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
this thread is ancient :)
superoneclick only works on the older OV's
try gingerbreak, it's supposed to work on all but the newest version of the phone.
in the sticky posts at the top of the rooting roms and hacks forum, are up-to-date methods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia