How to update a rooted Moto G2?

nacheoreom

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I own a Moto G2 and I rooted it approximately 4 or 5 months ago. However, I keep getting system update notifications and when I tap "I'm in" to let it update, when the phone reboots it takes me to the bootloader menu and makes my phone reboot nonstop until the system says it was unable to update and only then the constant rebooting will stop.

I'm new to all of this, I mostly just know how to follow tutorials (lol :'( ) so I was wondering, could someone enlighten me with some knowledge on this? Do I have to un-root my phone to update it and re-root it again? Will I lose all of my data doing so? Or should I use Titanium Backup (or maybe another back-up app?), un-root, update and re-root it? Or is there an easier way?

The current android version on my phone is the Lollipop 5.0.2 and the system version is 22.21.28.

Thank you in advance for any help and I did look around first before posting this new thread but unfortunately I was unable to find anything related to this. If there is indeed a thread somewhere about this, I'd really appreciate it if you could share the link with me! :)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You should go to the Moto G 2014 XDA forums, find the factory firmware image and flash it via fastboot. You will lose everything, it will return the phone to it's out of box state.

Sorry, this is a Moto G 2015 forum, not for the 2014 model. If you need more detailed information or this answer isn't enough for you, I suggest you ask in the Moto G 2014 (2nd Gen) groups.

nacheoreom

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
It's been a while and I'm sorry if replying this late isn't allowed.

In case anyone sees this in the future: I managed to update my rooted phone by unrooting it and flashing the update/new system via "Restore" option on TWPR (Google it or Youtube it for links, there are plenty). It only deleted a few apps, but all the settings, media and everything else was left untouched. However, it didn't work for my cousin's phone, which is the same model, and it ended up bricking. Had to flash the whole new rom to fix it, which was alright too, no big deal.

Have a good day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssiinnoojjandriod