[How-To] Wireless Tether for VD

ws1088

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Sprint will not be able to differentiate between this data and data you'd use on the browser on the phone. To them it all looks the same, data is data.

That's not quite true, IMO. I think they can (and they have) sniff your traffic to see which browser you are using when you surf (thus whether you are surfing from your phone or laptop)

s33ker

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
That's not quite true, IMO. I think they can (and they have) sniff your traffic to see which browser you are using when you surf (thus whether you are surfing from your phone or laptop)

Proof of this? I think Kevin is correct, data is data.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

Flaw in that theory is one can change the user agent of a mobile browser to be the same as a desktop browser. Also, for a Sprint everything data plan, you cannot add DUN so why check?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

Theoretically, any data across any network can have the packets captured and sniffed (yes, I work in IT ;) ) but Sprint is not in the habit of doing this. I did this on my Q, my Q9c, my mogul, my curve, my treo pro, my pre, my hero, my evo, and now my optimus.

Anyone that has concerns should just pay the monthly fee. WT should only be used in small amounts anyway. People that use it grossly, some have posted pictures of their bill with 30 gigs in a single month, those people are begging for trouble. If you're using a minimal amount (read, under 5 gigs) your completely fine.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
any details from someone who got this to work? I configured mine with WPA2 on the device, it connects, PC says successful connection to WIFI, but it NEVER gets a DHCP lease from the device, thus cannot connect to the internet.

Edit: nevermind, apparently I have to manually release and renew the DHCP via ipconfig.

JHBoricua

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Oh Oh, an OTA update popup just came in.

Update LS670ZV9, 19.7MB in size, brings swype functionality and 'enhancements to Active Sync'. Is this the one that will kill the loophole? :)

brit

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about getting the Optimus S soon (Free on Black Friday), and am really hoping the hotspot works. Does anyone know if it is a true hotspot access point, or an adhoc one? I want to connect to my Wii, but it does not work with adhoc connections.

Thanks

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I am thinking about getting the Optimus S soon (Free on Black Friday), and am really hoping the hotspot works. Does anyone know if it is a true hotspot access point, or an adhoc one? I want to connect to my Wii, but it does not work with adhoc connections.

Thanks

IIRC its a true connection according to windows 7. I can check tonight when I get home.

brit

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, please let me know if you can verify this. When I was with T-Mobile, my wing could only do an adhoc hotspot. If the Optimus S can do the normal hotspots, then I am definitely getting one.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, please let me know if you can verify this. When I was with T-Mobile, my wing could only do an adhoc hotspot. If the Optimus S can do the normal hotspots, then I am definitely getting one.

Looks like its not an adhoc network.

blackwaterstout

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I just installed the hotspot widget. Yesterday my phone downloaded the newest update that included swype.

It appears to work however I don't have my laptop with me to test for a wireless connect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali