How's the 4XL holding up?

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough. However I believe a lot of Pixel phone buyers get them with the intention of keeping them for awhile too so when they do upgrade they have gotten their money out of them. Yes, they don't hold their value like iPhones but I guarantee you the 4XL is a better phone than the Z Force.

Really? Who would have thought a phone released four to five years after another phone would be better. Glad to hear it! One reason the Pixel is better is it can be updated to a later software version; not sure if the Z could be; haven't tried; it's not connected to a network.

I was discussing my needs and in reality, the needs of most people who actually use a smart phone. That old Z force (used now as a clock in one of my rooms). For the majority of people who use a smart phone, all that is needed is something that will connect for phone calls, texts and for internet usage. If looking for a gamer phone, not sure either would be the best idea.

Not sure if pixel owners purchase a phone to hang on to for a long period of time. Any information on that from reliable sources? Maybe they do, maybe they don't; maybe they do just due to the fact, they are updated for a longer period of time than most (not all) phones; however, there sure are quite a few for sale on Swappa. I guess if they are financing through a provider, they might hang on to them longer; however, everyone I personally know as an actual friend, purchases phones outright.

However, as noted, I have had no problem with this 4XL; other than facial recognition sometimes is slow to react or just does not work and the phone screen goes off and I am force to hit the power button to get it to recognize me. It sure has made me a believer in no more facial recognition for this guy; and after having a Samsung S20 for a few days, have no interest in screen finger print readers.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Really? Who would have thought a phone released four to five years after another phone would be better. Glad to hear it! One reason the Pixel is better is it can be updated to a later software version; not sure if the Z could be; haven't tried; it's not connected to a network.

I was discussing my needs and in reality, the needs of most people who actually use a smart phone. That old Z force (used now as a clock in one of my rooms). For the majority of people who use a smart phone, all that is needed is something that will connect for phone calls, texts and for internet usage. If looking for a gamer phone, not sure either would be the best idea.

Not sure if pixel owners purchase a phone to hang on to for a long period of time. Any information on that from reliable sources? Maybe they do, maybe they don't; maybe they do just due to the fact, they are updated for a longer period of time than most (not all) phones; however, there sure are quite a few for sale on Swappa. I guess if they are financing through a provider, they might hang on to them longer; however, everyone I personally know as an actual friend, purchases phones outright.

However, as noted, I have had no problem with this 4XL; other than facial recognition sometimes is slow to react or just does not work and the phone screen goes off and I am force to hit the power button to get it to recognize me. It sure has made me a believer in no more facial recognition for this guy; and after having a Samsung S20 for a few days, have no interest in screen finger print readers.
I just want to mention that my facial rec has always worked flawlessly and fast until one day it didn't.
I wiped the radar area clean and it went back to being awesome.
TBH.. never a fan of FR. I always liked LG's FP reader. It came with the 4XL. I had no choice. But, it does work well.
But, I'm sure you have already cleaned the radar area.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I loved my Z Force. It was a tank and the mods were neat. Battery life was crazy. But....camera sucked.

Had Z force. z force 2. Got a Pixel 2xl and never looked back. Got the 4xl....it's fine. Battery is okay and face rec only sucks because of app support.

My 2 is used as my business line and it's still flawless.

I'd keep the 4 longer but I'm having to do too much maintenance for storage and the rumors on the 6 have me interested. We'll see.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I loved my Z Force. It was a tank and the mods were neat. Battery life was crazy. But....camera sucked.

Had Z force. z force 2. Got a Pixel 2xl and never looked back. Got the 4xl....it's fine. Battery is okay and face rec only sucks because of app support.

I'd keep the 4 longer but I'm having to do too much maintenance for storage and the rumors on the 6 have me interested. We'll see.

The 2 (do you mean Pixel 2?) is definitely amazing! I loved mine so much, and when I gave it to my brother (who despised using a phone), he liked it, too!

The 6 lineup is definitely a compelling one. Hopefully we will get more answers about it soon, since October isn't *too* far away, now!

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site

I have had the same phones as you, Photo_Drew. And feel the same way. I still have my Z force 2 and all the mods that I bought. I've enjoyed the Pixel 2XL and now 4XL. But, it's time for a new one. I hope that the 6 Pro will not disappoint and am looking forward to it.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I know it's only about 5 Pixel 4XL owners left , but mine is still going strong. I just love this phone. It was getting full on storage so I had to delete some things which you should do every once in a while anyway. Still today I'm not interested in any other phone yet.
giphy.gif

ben55124

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
P4xl forever... or until the battery goes out, 5g becomes important, android after updates end is compelling, or I get envious of everyone else having new phones. Glad I didn't need to get a p6.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
still on the 4XL here too. I have noticed it's a bit slower now because of Android 12, so I'm interested in upgrading but not sure about the P6. Thinking I'm going to hold out till Pixel 7 and see what that phone is all about.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Still plan on keeping mine. Battery is good but not doing as well as it used to since Android 12. There are also some weird after image issues when minimizing apps post Android 12, but nothing I can't live with.

I don't want to give up my zoom capabilities. It seems like all phones with decent zooms go for a minimum $900 these days.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm planning on picking up a few for the simple fact that it has unlimited storage saver photo backups. $200 on Amazon renewed makes it a no-brainer for a side-side-side phone (currently carrying a P6 with SIM and N10+ for wifi use and gaming, with a Pixel 3XL for that photo storage) and also a decent emulation machine.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, I traded mine in to Samsung last week. It was doing ok but once in awhile didn't want to charge and since it was my third one replaced for battery issues and I'm traveling for work now it was time to get something else. Plus I'm not a big fan of android 12 on the Pixel, it feels like a cartoonish and full of pastel colors and design choices I'm just not a fan of.

So it got traded for an S22+ that I'm liking so far. Good luck to all you 4XL long haulers!

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Still plan on keeping mine. Battery is good but not doing as well as it used to since Android 12. There are also some weird after image issues when minimizing apps post Android 12, but nothing I can't live with.

I don't want to give up my zoom capabilities. It seems like all phones with decent zooms go for a minimum $900 these days.

When saying weird image issues to you mean when you close an app, the app screen minimizes for a second or two then closes? If yes, I have noted that on some apps, but not all the time, and never on some apps.

I have also noted from time to time the right side of the screen shrinks inward and eventually widens back out to fill the entire screen. This bug has just started well after Android 12 was loaded.

I'm also getting some screen flickering.

However, battery is still going strong and cameras working as expected. Overall, it has been a very good and reliable phone.

But next month it will be relegated to being a clock and an emergency backup. Hopefully, this time for good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter