How's the 4XL holding up?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What's the problems with a curved screen? Just curious, as I am very interested in the new 6 series.

There's nothing "wrong" with them at all! Personally, I really enjoyed using the curved screens on my Honor 8 and S10. The only issue is that the curved screens make fitting screen protectors difficult.

My S10 was a joy to use but screen protectors not only had to work with the in-display fingerprint sensor but also had to fit the curved edges. Due to the biometrics, lots of tempered glass screen protectors just wouldn't work. I tried a few glass and plastic film protectors in the 19 months I had the phone. The plastic ones (the ones that I had to end up using) would all curl up at the edges after a while. However, the last film protector I used - by Skinomi - took a good eight or nine months before it started to curl up at the edges. It also depends on what kind of a case you're using.

But all is not lost! I truly think it depends on the biometrics of each device. My husband has an LG Velvet and has been able to use tempered glass screen protectors for the almost-year that he's had the device - and he uses rugged cases. The edges don't curl up, perhaps because it's glass, and the in-display fingerprint sensor still works. It could be something with the manufacturer and how they set up their security on their screens.

Don't feel dissauded to try phones with curved edges! Wait and see what the 6 line is like. Google is pretty good about offering quality screen protectors with their products in the Google Store.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I don't like curved screens and it has nothing to do with screen protectors. I just think that when you're looking at a full screen image and the parts at the side are "warped" around the edge it looks terrible.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
My issue with the curved screens is they are more prone to accidental touches and breaking if dropped. It's just not necessary in my opinion, all it does is cost the user more to repair and it looks cool for marketing. Don't get me wrong I think it's great that they can do it but I don't want one. That said I was pleasantly surprised by how little the screen on the S21 ultra curved, it was a tempting device, but ultimately the price and size were more than I wanted.

Since my original post I have fully embraced the Pixel 4XL and really for the first time ever since getting my first smart phone I'm using it within it's limits with no modifications, hacks or any changes outside of what is offered. I love the gesture navigation system, just wish I could add custom icons to the launcher. Unfortunately third party launchers just don't work well with the gestures anymore so I've had to abandon them because I'm not willing to go back to buttons. So I've had to adopt a bit of an IPhone approach to my home screen because I'm not a big fan of folders but it works. Turns out I'm not there long anyway, just long enough to find the app I need. Overall I'm happy and it's working well though I wish I would have gotten more storage as I can run with 64GB bug for travel it can get a little tight putting things on it to watch.

I don't miss my 8T, this is a superior experience and everything works well together. I still get tempted by the S21+ though, in that phantom black it just looks sexy but I don't think I can bring myself to go back to Samsung software and I really don't like the squircle icon look.

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
In response to your comment about third-party launchers, I have been using Nova Launcher with zero issues. Great post by the way.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
My 4XL is doing very well. I'm test driving the Beta 12, and that is going well also. But, by Fall, I'll have the itch for a new phone. Hopefully, the 6 Pro. We'll see.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My 4XL is doing very well. I'm test driving the Beta 12, and that is going well also. But, by Fall, I'll have the itch for a new phone. Hopefully, the 6 Pro. We'll see.
Google trade in is horrible, probably if we lucky get 125.00 for pixel 4xl

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
In response to your comment about third-party launchers, I have been using Nova Launcher with zero issues. Great post by the way.
Thanks. Guess I need to try it again. Last time I tried nova a few months ago it was glitchy and lagged at times. Biggest issue was the recents screen.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Been playing with Nova 7.0.27 beta this morning. Idk guys, its functional but the transitions and animations are nowhere near as smooth or quick as the Pixel launcher. It takes a solid second when swiping up to go home, and the recent apps take a second too. Everything that is listed as an issue in the discord is there.

- Notable issues with gestures on third party launchers include, but not limited to:

- Close all/Clear app button not appearing(scroll all the way to verify it's not there)

- Not being able to tap icons for a short time after returning to the home screen

- Animations not being as fluid as expected

- Home screen icons flashing

- Home screen redraws

Can you use it? Yes but it's not as fast or fluid. I might keep it for a bit because I did miss icon packs (good grief Google, just let us use icon packs if you won't fix yours) and other things like changing the grid, gestures, removing the at a glance widget but I'll probably end up back on the Pixel launcher just because it is significantly smoother with gesture navigation.

Just my $0.02.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Been playing with Nova 7.0.27 beta this morning. Idk guys, its functional but the transitions and animations are nowhere near as smooth or quick as the Pixel launcher. It takes a solid second when swiping up to go home, and the recent apps take a second too. Everything that is listed as an issue in the discord is there.

- Notable issues with gestures on third party launchers include, but not limited to:

- Close all/Clear app button not appearing(scroll all the way to verify it's not there)

- Not being able to tap icons for a short time after returning to the home screen

- Animations not being as fluid as expected

- Home screen icons flashing

- Home screen redraws

Can you use it? Yes but it's not as fast or fluid. I might keep it for a bit because I did miss icon packs (good grief Google, just let us use icon packs if you won't fix yours) and other things like changing the grid, gestures, removing the at a glance widget but I'll probably end up back on the Pixel launcher just because it is significantly smoother with gesture navigation.

Just my $0.02.
Im on beta12 with Nova 7 so far pretty good

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Swappa shows a 64gb selling for $294 a few days ago, and a 128gb for $349.33

However, both in mint condition and there are a heck of a lot of them for sale at this time.

So a trade in would be in the 100s and come the time the 6 is released; who knows.

One thing I have learned about my first (and most likely last) Pixel phone is, although a good phone (one I truthfully like) it was not worth the price paid, and I'll be damned if I ever pay over 600 for another pixel phone.

Comparing to an older Moto Z Force, this phone does nothing more than that one did and not worth difference in price.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Swappa shows a 64gb selling for $294 a few days ago, and a 128gb for $349.33

However, both in mint condition and there are a heck of a lot of them for sale at this time.

So a trade in would be in the 100s and come the time the 6 is released; who knows.

One thing I have learned about my first (and most likely last) Pixel phone is, although a good phone (one I truthfully like) it was not worth the price paid, and I'll be damned if I ever pay over 600 for another pixel phone.

Comparing to an older Moto Z Force, this phone does nothing more than that one did and not worth difference in price.

Fair enough. However I believe a lot of Pixel phone buyers get them with the intention of keeping them for awhile too so when they do upgrade they have gotten their money out of them. Yes, they don't hold their value like iPhones but I guarantee you the 4XL is a better phone than the Z Force.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Same here! I've tried the Google launcher a few times and within an hour I always return to Nova.
I've had absolutely no issues at all.