How's the 4XL holding up?

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Have had mine since March 2020, and only thing I find troublesome is that the facial rec is slow to operated some times (no mask on). Other than that, it has worked as required. Do with it had a finger printer sensor on the back since facial rec with a mask is not a good combination. However, that is not the fault of the phone, just a fault with the times.

same here, I've had my 4XL since March of 2020. It's held up pretty well I think. I miss my fingerprint sensor that I had on the 2XL, I'm not the biggest fan of facial recognition but it still works well. The phone definitely gets me through the day with battery life, and there has been no slowing down or sluggishness in Android 11.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Still the best phone I've had, no problems at all and not thinking of getting a new one yet.
giphy.gif

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Well i decided to give the 21 ultra a chance, and after ten days here I am back with the pixel. I'll miss the screen, but Google's software still makes for a much better use experience imo. The camera also sucked for capturing anything with movement, just like previous Samsungs.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Well i decided to give the 21 ultra a chance, and after ten days here I am back with the pixel. I'll miss the screen, but Google's software still makes for a much better use experience imo. The camera also sucked for capturing anything with movement, just like previous Samsungs.

Yep the software experience and support is what keeps me with pixels ;)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
With the success of Google's "a" lines, and the general welcoming by the public of the pixel 5, I wonder how far they'll want to stray from the mid-range category? They seem to have found their "niche".

I'd love to see some higher spec pixels show back up, but they never had much luck in that area, and I don't think they'll want to change what's working for them now. It would be nice to see the 6 a little more tarted up than the 5, with an XL version available though :D

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I think Pixel as an affordable phone with excellent cameras is a good position for them. The 4a is the 2nd most bought phone off Amazon US according to Unbox Therapy. So they are doing g something right in the market. I just love my 4a 5G and I am delighted with its speed and its hardware and software. Just a perfect mix of mid tier and flagship and even 5G which is not available around me. Battery life is stellar as well.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely superbly in all honesty...

No idea what phone I think could replace the 4XL; but what I do know is that if I did decide to move phones, I'd soon regret it

Having had the latest and greatest last year (Note 10+, Note 20 Ultra, iPhone 11 Pro Max etc); the 4XL just feels right.

Does everything I need and does it very well; great size even for my slab like hands; works as needed, takes fantastic pictures with great detail etc...

Plus it's bang up to date and well supported and cost me less than £350 UK Sterling as I bought it 'used' albeit it's well within warranty still and is immaculate/fully boxed!

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I'd be really grateful if you wouldn't mind expanding a bit on what you didn't like from the Ultra! I love my 4 XL but I have had my eye on the Samsung.

Never ever had a Samsung before though - I've always chickened out. Just don't know if I would like the duplicate apps and the camera quality for moving subjects e.g. kids, especially in indoor lighting...

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd be really grateful if you wouldn't mind expanding a bit on what you didn't like from the Ultra! I love my 4 XL but I have had my eye on the Samsung.

Never ever had a Samsung before though - I've always chickened out. Just don't know if I would like the duplicate apps and the camera quality for moving subjects e.g. kids, especially in indoor lighting...
I can't speak to the ultra but what I can tell you is I had an S20 for awhile last year and I really enjoyed the camera experience.

Now for the duplicate apps, while annoying you can disable or delete a lot of stuff and replace it with your favorites. That said the things I never loved was the phone app, the horizontal paginated app drawer and the squircle app icons. I love my Pixel but there are a lot more options on a Samsung which can be good and bad.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

The hardware is great, I'm just not a fan of the software. They removed the smart home controls from the Android 11 power menu and places it in the notification shade, which adds several extra steps to control my smart lights. The app drawer is still paginated for some reason. The camera, while good in certain scenarios, is too slow to shoot portraits and can't capture scenes with motion well at all.

The Duplicate apps aren't a huge problem, but why they don't just use Google's superior apps are beyond me. I obviously use Google photos, but the camera app defaults to the Samsung gallery. You can download the Google phone app, but it lacks the voicemail transcription feature. I actually like the pixel launcher, though you could replicate the experience with a launcher.

There are definitely things you'd like about the ultra like the screen and battery life, but I wasn't a fan of the day to day experience of using it.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Still enjoying my 4XL, but I am starting to get an "itch" for a new phone. Luckily, nothing interests me currently. I'm not a fan of Samsung which really limits my options. I'm hoping the 6 is another flagship, but I agree that it seems Google is content with a mid range phone. If they stay that course, I have no idea what I'll look at next...

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My husband just loves his 4xl. He doesn't want to replace his either. He loves the forehead rather than a notch of any type and it is fast and the screen is a great size. He really loves his phone.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I also love my 4XL, it's still running great. And with Google's feature drops every few months it has not started to feel boring yet. That's one of the reasons I finally switched to Pixels. But I am also starting to feel that new phone itch. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Pixel 6 this Fall. I'm one of those rare people that doesn't care about the camera at all, the only pictures I take are things I'm tearing apart in the garage for reference photos. I would personally prefer a notch over the large Soli sensor forehead, but can live with either design. All in all I am very happy I bought a Pixel 4XL early last year, it's been an excellent choice and a great phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I also love my 4XL, it's still running great. And with Google's feature drops every few months it has not started to feel boring yet. That's one of the reasons I finally switched to Pixels. But I am also starting to feel that new phone itch. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Pixel 6 this Fall. I'm one of those rare people that doesn't care about the camera at all, the only pictures I take are things I'm tearing apart in the garage for reference photos. I would personally prefer a notch over the large Soli sensor forehead, but can live with either design. All in all I am very happy I bought a Pixel 4XL early last year, it's been an excellent choice and a great phone.

The Pixel 6 line-up looks awesome! Which one are you interested in - the smaller 6 or the larger one? I read the smaller 6 will be 6.4", and the larger one is 6.7".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte16