HTC chief says U.S. is not a major focus.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Your point is taken, but I think you miss the larger picture. The issue is general advertising that creates interest in the public. That comes from a steady dose of advertising to get the product entrenched in the public mind. No company can thrive without a healthy dose of marketing. People don't pay bills on phones they don't know or care about. HTC launched a huge ad campaign ahead of the OG Evo. If you owned a tv set in this country, you knew what an Evo was. The resulting financials speak for themselves. Right now Samsung is making sure everyone with a tv will know what a Galaxy S3 is. Do I even need to mention the first iPhone ad?
You don't promote your product, you dig its grave.
In terms of the Evo in the states, HTC has already grabbed the shovel.

HTC is advertising the One series. Makes sense since they have the One X on AT&T and the One S on T-Mobile. Instead of taking the One X, Sprint made the decision to turn the One X into the EVO 4G LTE.

Also, IMO it doesn't make sense for HTC and Sprint to put a huge advertising campaign behind any Sprint LTE phone when their network just isn't ready.

Last edited:

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
And conversely they would be of almost no interest to me. And therein lies the problem. You can't make a phone that makes everyone happy.

But I never claimed one could. You are making my point for me.... Variety in design and diverse features are good things. There is room to innovate and add new stuff to be different from the "big boys" like Samsung. Just trying to make a phone that is like something Samsung offers is not a great idea- why would someone buy it instead of the Samsung?

Note that I am not advocating that HTC make tons of different models, but look at the landscape and try to value plus it- add some extra neat things that don't necessarily cost much and set them apart from the competition.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Your point is taken, but I think you miss the larger picture. The issue is general advertising that creates interest in the public. That comes from a steady dose of advertising to get the product entrenched in the public mind. No company can thrive without a healthy dose of marketing. People don't pay bills on phones they don't know or care about. HTC launched a huge ad campaign ahead of the OG Evo. If you owned a tv set in this country, you knew what an Evo was. The resulting financials speak for themselves. Right now Samsung is making sure everyone with a tv will know what a Galaxy S3 is. Do I even need to mention the first iPhone ad?
You don't promote your product, you dig its grave.
In terms of the Evo in the states, HTC has already grabbed the shovel.

All I said was that carriers shouldn't be blamed for lack of advertising for a particular phone model. Not sure what HTC or Samsung advertising has to do with that.

Also, I think you're being a bit ego-centric as far as the general public's passion for their cell phones. The vast majority of users buy their phones based on carrier and then cost. They're not like the people on these forums where we count down the days until our upgrades so we can get the next super phone. The average user keeps his or her phone until it dies and then gets the replacement that's free or $50. I that will change in the next few years as we get more digitally entrenched, but most out there are still plenty happy with their flip or slider feature phones.

Reactions: Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But I never claimed one could. You are making my point for me.... Variety in design and diverse features are good things. There is room to innovate and add new stuff to be different from the "big boys" like Samsung. Just trying to make a phone that is like something Samsung offers is not a great idea- why would someone buy it instead of the Samsung?

Note that I am not advocating that HTC make tons of different models, but look at the landscape and try to value plus it- add some extra neat things that don't necessarily cost much and set them apart from the competition.

It's harder to compete on hardware when you can't source parts in the numbers that Apple and Samsung do.

Which is probably why we see things in software like Beats Audio and Sense. The ImageChip system is nice, but while good - it doesn't completely blow any other smartphone camera out of the water.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All I said was that carriers shouldn't be blamed for lack of advertising for a particular phone model. Not sure what HTC or Samsung advertising has to do with that.

Also, I think you're being a bit ego-centric as far as the general public's passion for their cell phones. The vast majority of users buy their phones based on carrier and then cost. They're not like the people on these forums where we count down the days until our upgrades so we can get the next super phone. The average user keeps his or her phone until it dies and then gets the replacement that's free or $50. I that will change in the next few years as we get more digitally entrenched, but most out there are still plenty happy with their flip or slider feature phones.

Agreed. If a person can find a phone on the carrier they want for the price they want to pay and that phone has a good browser and access to an app store that has all the apps they need at the time, that regular person will be content.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. HTC gets soooo close to making a good phone and then completely drops the ball. My EVO had button light lead and dead pixels...no thanks.

If HTC pumped out a high QC'd EVO LTE with stock 4.1, it be the best selling phone...period.

Please... Sit outside a Sprint store and ask the first 20 customers going in the store what stock 4.1 means.

*crickets*

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I concur! Most everyone i know uses their phone till it dies, then purchases the 50 dollar or less bargain phone. Android central and tech geeks make up a minuscule percentage of smartphone users!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Gee wiz. Last year, for the first time smart phones outsold feature phones.
Who do you think bought those 35.1 million iPhones last quarter? Who purchased the millions of og Evos that smashed sprint sales records? Who is buying up these millions of Galaxy devices? Our grandparents, great aunts and uncles?

Be informed.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Gee wiz. Last year, for the first time smart phones outsold feature phones.
Who do you think bought those 35.1 million iPhones last quarter? Who purchased the millions of og Evos that smashed sprint sales records? Who is buying up these millions of Galaxy devices? Our grandparents, great aunts and uncles?

Be informed.

I was going to chime in and say that I see practically nobody with a feature phone anymore, but I live in an area that's a little detached from reality...

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
HTC is advertising the One series. Makes sense since they have the One X on AT&T and the One S on T-Mobile. Instead of taking the One X, Sprint made the decision to turn the One X into the EVO 4G LTE.

Also, IMO it doesn't make sense for HTC and Sprint to put a huge advertising campaign behind any Sprint LTE phone when their network just isn't ready.

IMO it doesn't make sense for HTC and Sprint to release an LTE phone when their network just isn't ready.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
IMO it doesn't make sense for HTC and Sprint to release an LTE phone when their network just isn't ready.

So you think that people should be limited to 3G phone choices only and locked into a two year contract with no upgrade possibility and no way to use LTE for years, while LTE is being rolled out??

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Over the original DROID?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I would agree with the EVO comment over the droid, one being, and correct me if I'm wrong the droid never had 4g which is standard for what all smartphones nowadays have. I don't know what the sales on each where however

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would agree with the EVO comment over the droid, one being, and correct me if I'm wrong the droid never had 4g which is standard for what all smartphones nowadays have. I don't know what the sales on each where however

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I just find it hard to believe that the top phone on Sprint would outsell the top phone on Verizon.

4G has nothing to do with it.

Trying to search for answers now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums