HTC chief says U.S. is not a major focus.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
What do you think "different and compelling" for HTC would be?

Very good question. Perhaps they should pay me a consulting fee and I will tell them ;)

They could have, for example, offered some interesting local weather sensors- like temp, humidity, and barometric pressure. Perhaps an IR emitter to use it as a remote control. Or battery that would have aced the competition. Stereo speakers with better sound to make it great for use as a mini "boom box". Inductive charging. A micro mag-stripe reader that could be used for credit card transactions. Built-in IP printing. A companion synced watch. An ASTC tuner. A matching physical keyboard. A solar back panel. A pull out, wireless HID dongle that turns the phone into an instant kb/mouse/pad/remote for any computer.

There are tons of "different" things that could be applied to appeal to different customer bases.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree that the S3 is trying to be a bigger iPhone. I think that they have taken the good from iPhone and put it into android. I don't see a problem with this. Have one phone with the good from multiple platforms. Sounds great to me!

I agree wholeheartedly with that point. I didn't say it was a "bad" thing that Samsung is doing with the S3. If it brings more people to Android, it's good for us all. My point is that S3 appeals to the same crowd that would consider an iPhone, as well as the die-hard Android fanbase. It's a true cross-over. Put an SLCD2 display on that phone and pay a little more attention to the radios, and the S3 would be much closer to perfection (OK, and do something about TouchWiz).

Now what spurred that on was the question of something "compelling and different" from HTC, and I tried to convey that with the right marketing the EVO fits nicely into that niche and could still be successful.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd say the EVO 4G LTE fits that bill.

Let's call a spade a spade - the S3 is trying to be a bigger iPhone, from its pearly whiteness to its physical home button to its push of S-voice and all its other gimmicky tricks. And it does it well. Why do you think there's a ton of iPhone to S3 switchers over on the S3 forum? And don't forget the white earbuds... Add in Samsung's vast resources and there you go.

If Sprint would have done a much better job at marketing and hyping the EVO as something "different" we may not be having this conversation. They need to fire the ad company that came up with that embarrassing commercial.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Here's the thing with the EVO 4G LTE. It's exclusive to Sprint.

BTW, if you're going to call out Samsung for using gimmicks to "be like Apple", look at Google Voice Actions and Google Now. All platforms are working on similar features.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
BTW, if you're going to call out Samsung for using gimmicks to "be like Apple", look at Google Voice Actions and Google Now. All platforms are working on similar features.

Good point, but let's not forget that Android/Google was doing that sort of thing (albeit not as refined) before Apple took the idea, improved it a little, and hyped/marketed the hell out of it. From what I've read, Siri and S-voice have very limited true usefulness (hence the gimmick label), where Google Now is reported to be the real deal. Time will tell whether that bears true.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Very good question. Perhaps they should pay me a consulting fee and I will tell them ;)

They could have, for example, offered some interesting local weather sensors- like temp, humidity, and barometric pressure. Perhaps an IR emitter to use it as a remote control. Or battery that would have aced the competition. Stereo speakers with better sound to make it great for use as a mini "boom box". Inductive charging. A micro mag-stripe reader that could be used for credit card transactions. Built-in IP printing. A companion synced watch. An ASTC tuner. A matching physical keyboard. A solar back panel. A pull out, wireless HID dongle that turns the phone into an instant kb/mouse/pad/remote for any computer.

There are tons of "different" things that could be applied to appeal to different customer bases.

But can those things be different and compelling while still being mass market?

Other weather and temp sensors could be good for getting exact temperatures, but I wonder how they would be affected by the heat a phone emits.

Don't really see a need for IR as equipment in the home gets more and more integrated. Most cable and dish providers have apps where you can control your set top box from your phone or tablet.

Battery? This part of tech hasn't really improved much. All HTC needs to do is follow the DROID RAZR MAXX for current tech.

Speaker quality could be another thing, but HTC bought Beats. They've even bundled red Beats headsets with some phones - to be like Apple.

I find it weird that Verizon seems to be the only carrier supporting inductive charging, even though they don't really push it.

Credit card transaction? With PayPal and Square, there really is no need to build that into a phone.

IP printing? That could just be an app. I'm pretty sure that's how Motorola does it with MOTOPRINT.

Doesn't Sony already have an Android watch companion?

ATSC TV tuner doesn't feel like the right fit for mobile.

Matching physical keyboard doesn't really add value since you can use any Bluetooth keyboard.

Solar would probably negate cases.

And I wouldn't want to use my phone as input for a computer, but that sounds like it can be easily done with an app and Bluetooth.

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
A little too pro-USA are we?

US population: 300 million
China + Europe population: 2.5 billion

Seems good business sense to me to concentrate on the market that is almost ten times the size.

Regardless of markets wherever the phone sells it'll be good as they will still need to compete and make there phones better in general against competition. I don't see a problem here :D

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
But can those things be different and compelling while still being mass market? [...]

Perhaps. But anyone can find faults with anything that is proposed. Many of the features I listed would be immediately of interest to me and perhaps others too.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with that point. I didn't say it was a "bad" thing that Samsung is doing with the S3. If it brings more people to Android, it's good for us all. My point is that S3 appeals to the same crowd that would consider an iPhone, as well as the die-hard Android fanbase. It's a true cross-over. Put an SLCD2 display on that phone and pay a little more attention to the radios, and the S3 would be much closer to perfection (OK, and do something about TouchWiz).

Now what spurred that on was the question of something "compelling and different" from HTC, and I tried to convey that with the right marketing the EVO fits nicely into that niche and could still be successful.

Absolutely. This latest iteration of the Evo would have been a monster hit had HTC/Sprint saturated the media with the right marketing. Especially playing up the fact that it's different.
Much as I like HTC, moving forward I might have difficulty supporting a company that no longer finds the American market place a viable focus.

Reactions: kbp08tls

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
But can those things be different and compelling while still being mass market?

Other weather and temp sensors could be good for getting exact temperatures, but I wonder how they would be affected by the heat a phone emits.

Don't really see a need for IR as equipment in the home gets more and more integrated. Most cable and dish providers have apps where you can control your set top box from your phone or tablet.

Battery? This part of tech hasn't really improved much. All HTC needs to do is follow the DROID RAZR MAXX for current tech.

Speaker quality could be another thing, but HTC bought Beats. They've even bundled red Beats headsets with some phones - to be like Apple.

I find it weird that Verizon seems to be the only carrier supporting inductive charging, even though they don't really push it.

Credit card transaction? With PayPal and Square, there really is no need to build that into a phone.

IP printing? That could just be an app. I'm pretty sure that's how Motorola does it with MOTOPRINT.

Doesn't Sony already have an Android watch companion?

ATSC TV tuner doesn't feel like the right fit for mobile.

Matching physical keyboard doesn't really add value since you can use any Bluetooth keyboard.

Solar would probably negate cases.

And I wouldn't want to use my phone as input for a computer, but that sounds like it can be easily done with an app and Bluetooth.

I think you guys miss the boat. Evo need not employ any of that. They need to capture mind share with innovative, creative thought provoking commercials that create interest. The device is an unknown to the masses.
I bet you could go to walmart and have a table with the S3 and Evo lte side by side and ask the first 100 customers to name each device. I'd be willing to bet that less than 5 would be able to name evo yet the vast majority would recognize the S3 from commercials.
The Evo is already cutting edge. We'll forgive it for not being able to watch your every move. It just needs a coming out party.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys miss the boat. Evo need not employ any of that. They need to capture mind share with innovative, creative thought provoking commercials that create interest. The device is an unknown to the masses.
I bet you could go to walmart and have a table with the S3 and Evo lte side by side and ask the first 100 customers to name each device. I'd be willing to bet that less than 5 would be able to name evo yet the vast majority would recognize the S3 from commercials.
The Evo is already cutting edge. We'll forgive it for not being able to watch your every move. It just needs a coming out party.

Were you satisfied with how they've advertised any of the other phones in the Evo line?

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
HTC said their poll showed customers wanted thin. Not removable batteries, nothing else, just thin. Does that sound like quietly brilliant? Or even like they were trying to carve out a niche? It took Sprint to force SD and battery upgrades. Features that American customers value. Apparently features that HTC did not, on their new, shiny line of "hero devices".

And let's not forget the self inflicted gunshot wound that is Sense...not that it's bad in itself, but that it's a crappy, usability killing resource hog. That's software, and it can be fixed. They didn't.

I like the look of HTC's devices, and their build quality, but it's the features they leave out, and the software fixes they won't do, that keep me away.

That, IMO, isn't brilliant at all. Focusing on markets where expectations may not be as high...that may save them.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd say the EVO 4G LTE fits that bill.

Let's call a spade a spade - the S3 is trying to be a bigger iPhone, from its pearly whiteness to its physical home button to its push of S-voice and all its other gimmicky tricks. And it does it well. Why do you think there's a ton of iPhone to S3 switchers over on the S3 forum? And don't forget the white earbuds... Add in Samsung's vast resources and there you go.

If Sprint would have done a much better job at marketing and hyping the EVO as something "different" we may not be having this conversation. They need to fire the ad company that came up with that embarrassing commercial.

At least Samsung had some direction. Some purpose in their design. With the Lte, it seems like HTC had no direction or purpose at all. Perhaps they lost their way trying to be too different. In the end they might have succeeded in turning off a large segment of the buying populace

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why people get on carriers for not marketing any Android phone enough. It's not like when the iPhone was unique where it was worthwhile for AT&T to push the hell out of it. Notice when the iPhone went to Verizon AT&T abandoned advertising for the iPhone and instead went with marketing being able to use voice and data simultaneously on your iPhone. Sprint pushed the OG Evo because it was the first 4G phone.

But now, since Android phones are so prevent, it's difficult to push any one particular model. Sure, everyone here knows the difference between a Super LCD screen and a AMOLED, but 95% of customers probably don't. We count down days until our upgrade is up for the next monster phone but most customers are content with their three year old LG feature phone. Sure there are more Android phones out there, but how many friends do you have that don't use theirs past 10% of its actual capabilities.

Bottom line is carriers couldn't care less what phone you use as long as you're paying that monthly bill. It doesn't behoove them to spend millions of dollars marketing phones in a way that only a handful of customers would understand.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
At least Samsung had some direction. Some purpose in their design. With the Lte, it seems like HTC had no direction or purpose at all. Perhaps they lost their way trying to be too different. In the end they might have succeeded in turning off a large segment of the buying populace

No OEM has the clout that Apple and Samsung have. If HTC was right up there with them, Sprint would have got a One X and Verizon would have a One S.

With the One series, HTC does have direction. They're just not strong enough to push that direction out to all of the US carriers.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't be more true.

Was there an HTC phone that didn't have issues?

Nexus One: They probably used the worst touchscreen/digitizer that was on the market and didn't even set the capacitive buttons right.

EVO 4G: Out of memory all the time, thanks to Sense. I have to walk my mom through this weekly to help her fix it.

Incredible: Same issue, even worse, and they shafted everyone on the battery even though it could have handled the same one as the EVO 4G.

EVO 3D: ttttty camera (not just MP, but quality overall), zero support, horrible touchscreen that broke down for many, and they haven't updated it like they should have. Oh and they crippled the unlocking on it for most people.

One X: Good hardware, storage capacity of Apple's top phone from 2008.

EVO LTE: They didn't do their homework and shortchanged it on memory when they should have known that S4 (high video ram stolen from base ram) + even more bloated sense + many bloated HTC background apps + aggressive settings = a horrrible experience.

And just in general HTC has been bad about releasing source, fixing issues, and generally once you buy their phone you are screwed and left for dead. It's no surprise people wouldn't support getting burned again and apparently I'm one of the rare few who have bought an HTC phone more than once (Nexus, EVO 3D, LTE).

I can definitely say never again. I'd buy motorola or Sony before I bought another HTC
Agreed. HTC gets soooo close to making a good phone and then completely drops the ball. My EVO had button light lead and dead pixels...no thanks.

If HTC pumped out a high QC'd EVO LTE with stock 4.1, it be the best selling phone...period.

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps. But anyone can find faults with anything that is proposed. Many of the features I listed would be immediately of interest to me and perhaps others too.

And conversely they would be of almost no interest to me. And therein lies the problem. You can't make a phone that makes everyone happy.

Reactions: Ry

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why people get on carriers for not marketing any Android phone enough. It's not like when the iPhone was unique where it was worthwhile for AT&T to push the hell out of it. Notice when the iPhone went to Verizon AT&T abandoned advertising for the iPhone and instead went with marketing being able to use voice and data simultaneously on your iPhone. Sprint pushed the OG Evo because it was the first 4G phone.

But now, since Android phones are so prevent, it's difficult to push any one particular model. Sure, everyone here knows the difference between a Super LCD screen and a AMOLED, but 95% of customers probably don't. We count down days until our upgrade is up for the next monster phone but most customers are content with their three year old LG feature phone. Sure there are more Android phones out there, but how many friends do you have that don't use theirs past 10% of its actual capabilities.

Bottom line is carriers couldn't care less what phone you use as long as you're paying that monthly bill. It doesn't behoove them to spend millions of dollars marketing phones in a way that only a handful of customers would understand.

Your point is taken, but I think you miss the larger picture. The issue is general advertising that creates interest in the public. That comes from a steady dose of advertising to get the product entrenched in the public mind. No company can thrive without a healthy dose of marketing. People don't pay bills on phones they don't know or care about. HTC launched a huge ad campaign ahead of the OG Evo. If you owned a tv set in this country, you knew what an Evo was. The resulting financials speak for themselves. Right now Samsung is making sure everyone with a tv will know what a Galaxy S3 is. Do I even need to mention the first iPhone ad?
You don't promote your product, you dig its grave.
In terms of the Evo in the states, HTC has already grabbed the shovel.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If HTC pumped out a high QC'd EVO LTE with stock 4.1, it be the best selling phone...period.

On one, dying carrier.

It certainly wouldn't outsell the DROID RAZR MAXX on Verizon. Or the iPhone on any other carrier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174