HTC chief says U.S. is not a major focus.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I dont blame them.

EU+Asia- 2.5 Billion people- Same 3 phones everywhere (One X, One S, One V)
US-300 Million people- One S, One XL, Droid Incredible LTE, One V, EVO LTE.

In the US they have to deal with LTE and CDMA, things they arent accustomed to dealing with anywhere else. Then they have Apple up the A$$ stopping their products from entering the US for a week. We arent worth the hassle.

That's an interesting angle.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
HTC should just hire XDA devs!

HTC makes great hardware and durable devices. Its their software glitches is what needs improvement.

How come XDA devs can fix issues, but HTC can't? They need the right people.

Because XDA devs don't need to go through several layers of corporate bureaucracy, through the marketeers and the bean counters, rigorous stability/compatability testing, then to the carriers for packaging, more testing, more bureaucracy, then finally to the consumer. OEMs and carriers are monetarily liable for their products and therefore manage risk much more conservatively than a dev has to.
All a dev has to do is post on XDA, put a "flash at your own risk" disclaimer on it, and let people report bugs and make corrections on the fly. I know I oversimplified it, but you get the point. If you've ever dealt with flaky ROMs that took several iterations to get right, you'd understand.

Reactions: Ry

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I've also had all three EVOs, and despite their quirks, I've liked them all. Just finally rooted my EVO LTE and installed MeanROM ICS and I couldn't be happier (except if Sprint would light up LTE in my area sooner than August/September).

As of now, I don't have any reason not to buy another HTC next time around, provided one's available.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, remember they were in pretty good position when WinMo phones were still relevant.

But when Samsung engulfed Android, there's really no way they can compete.

HTC didn't become a relatively well-known brand in the US until Android.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think they can. People thought the same of the iPhone, and Sammy is really taking it to Apple now. It took some time, and HTC to lead the way honestly, but Samsung is getting the job done, no doubt.

Eh, that's not the same fight. It wasn't Samsung vs Apple, but Android vs iOS. Samsung is a massive company that produces pretty much every kind of electronic device at a staggering rate. HTC is a tiny handset manufacturer.

HTC has a couple hiccups and people question their ability to survive let along compete with Apple or Sammy. They may be able to carve out a nitch with their high end handsets, but they will never be at Samsungs level. They're just too small.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Eh, that's not the same fight. It wasn't Samsung vs Apple, but Android vs iOS. Samsung is a massive company that produces pretty much every kind of electronic device at a staggering rate. HTC is a tiny handset manufacturer.

HTC has a couple hiccups and people question their ability to survive let along compete with Apple or Sammy. They may be able to carve out a nitch with their high end handsets, but they will never be at Samsungs level. They're just too small.

Economies of scale.

Sadly, I don't think anyone will be able to compete with Apple and Samsung.

It's basically what killed WebOS devices.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Sounds like HTC has been doing the questioning. To the extent that they decided to remove focus from the states because they decided they couldn't compete with Sammy and apple.
A couple hiccups and HTC folds. That's not how you win. Or even carve a niche.

odice4

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I never understand all the praise for Samsung. I've owned two of their Androids: the Moment and the Nexus S 4G. The Moment was the worst Android I've ever owned. The Nexus was a close second. I've owned the Evo, the Evo 3D and now the LTE. The 3D and the LTE have both had their issues, but it terms of build quality and reliability in use, both are better than either Sammy.
The Evo 3D was a horrible built phone. I had it and I went back to the original Evo. So i have to disagree with that statement about the EVO 3D.:eek:

anon(280955)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Get in where you fit in. They are a business, after all, and those are lucrative markets. This doesn't mean they're giving up on the U.S., simply that they're going to focus a larger percentage of their efforts other places.

I, for one, think they should stick it out (to a certain extent). Not everyone is going to want a got damn Galaxy S ... especially when they see that everyone else on the block has one. If anything, they should concentrate more on advertising/marketing. Samsung phones are not the hit they are because of their lack of problems ... let's be honest

Last edited:

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
The Evo 3D was a horrible built phone. I had it and I went back to the original Evo. So i have to disagree with that statement about the EVO 3D.:eek:

EVO3D was a very well-built phone. With MeanROM and MeanROM ICS, it was a very good phone, although it sucked pretty hard running stock.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Economies of scale.

There is plenty of room in the market to compete with Apple and Samsung. But it requires offering something different and compelling. If they expect to offer the same thing and come out ahead, that won't happen.

Besides, there is no "win" or "lose". They can make a sizable profit by being #3.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

Totally disagree. I used an Evo 3D for over a year without a single issue. The build quality was just as good, if not better than the Evo 4G. And it was a much better phone in most ways- faster, more memory, higher res screen, dedicated photo button.

Reactions: quicksilver53

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I had the Evo 3d and it was great what i didn't like was the camera sammy has let me down on many occasions even now i have the tab 10.1 no update i am not heavy into rooting so dont give me that as a solution

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Htc needs to continue with updates and marketing is the key the one x should've had expandable memory cause people could deal with non removable battery but the memory is another issue

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
A little too pro-USA are we?

US population: 300 million
China + Europe population: 2.5 billion

Seems good business sense to me to concentrate on the market that is almost ten times the size.

I agree. It makes great financial sense as a business to concentrate on the areas where you will make the most profit.

I never understand all the praise for Samsung. I've owned two of their Androids: the Moment and the Nexus S 4G. The Moment was the worst Android I've ever owned. The Nexus was a close second. I've owned the Evo, the Evo 3D and now the LTE. The 3D and the LTE have both had their issues, but it terms of build quality and reliability in use, both are better than either Sammy.

I don't even understand how you can put the moment in with other devices. That device is old and it was a low end device.

Couldn't be more true.

Was there an HTC phone that didn't have issues?

Nexus One: They probably used the worst touchscreen/digitizer that was on the market and didn't even set the capacitive buttons right.

EVO 4G: Out of memory all the time, thanks to Sense. I have to walk my mom through this weekly to help her fix it.

Incredible: Same issue, even worse, and they shafted everyone on the battery even though it could have handled the same one as the EVO 4G.

EVO 3D: ttttty camera (not just MP, but quality overall), zero support, horrible touchscreen that broke down for many, and they haven't updated it like they should have. Oh and they crippled the unlocking on it for most people.

One X: Good hardware, storage capacity of Apple's top phone from 2008.

EVO LTE: They didn't do their homework and shortchanged it on memory when they should have known that S4 (high video ram stolen from base ram) + even more bloated sense + many bloated HTC background apps + aggressive settings = a horrrible experience.

And just in general HTC has been bad about releasing source, fixing issues, and generally once you buy their phone you are screwed and left for dead. It's no surprise people wouldn't support getting burned again and apparently I'm one of the rare few who have bought an HTC phone more than once (Nexus, EVO 3D, LTE).

I can definitely say never again. I'd buy motorola or Sony before I bought another HTC

What phone doesn't have issues? I mean really now. Motorola and Sony are sh@$ as android phones. HTC and Samsung are way better. Especially when it comes to high end android devices.

Yep. Plus they have to deal with one of their top phones getting returned due to Sprints current network woes. Add to that Apple's shenanigans and the US is probably more headaches than its worth.

Obviously not because they are still releasing phones in the US.

I interpret this as a long term strategy, by focusing efforts where they strongly believes they can make a profit. But I have to ask why they even bothered with the US market if they weren't willing to invest in advertisement?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

A lot of the blame for advertisement should be put on the carriers. Not HTC.

Economies of scale.

It's basically what killed WebOS devices.

Palm killed WebOS. Not apple or Samsung. WebOS devices had crap hardware. It could have been huge if Palm hadn't effed it up.

Htc needs to continue with updates and marketing is the key the one x should've had expandable memory cause people could deal with non removable battery but the memory is another issue

Yes, not having expandable memory is a deal breaker for most people. Oh, wait..... iPhone.......

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Palm killed WebOS. Not apple or Samsung. WebOS devices had crap hardware. It could have been huge if Palm hadn't effed it up.

Crap hardware? They couldn't get the good stuff because of Apple.

The Verge has a great read on the life and death of Palm.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There is plenty of room in the market to compete with Apple and Samsung. But it requires offering something different and compelling. If they expect to offer the same thing and come out ahead, that won't happen.

Besides, there is no "win" or "lose". They can make a sizable profit by being #3.

What do you think "different and compelling" for HTC would be?

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
What do you think "different and compelling" for HTC would be?

I'd say the EVO 4G LTE fits that bill.

Let's call a spade a spade - the S3 is trying to be a bigger iPhone, from its pearly whiteness to its physical home button to its push of S-voice and all its other gimmicky tricks. And it does it well. Why do you think there's a ton of iPhone to S3 switchers over on the S3 forum? And don't forget the white earbuds... Add in Samsung's vast resources and there you go.

If Sprint would have done a much better job at marketing and hyping the EVO as something "different" we may not be having this conversation. They need to fire the ad company that came up with that embarrassing commercial.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd say the EVO 4G LTE fits that bill.

Let's call a spade a spade - the S3 is trying to be a bigger iPhone, from its pearly whiteness to its physical home button to its push of S-voice and all its other gimmicky tricks. And it does it well. Why do you think there's a ton of iPhone to S3 switchers over on the S3 forum? And don't forget the white earbuds... Add in Samsung's vast resources and there you go.

If Sprint would have done a much better job at marketing and hyping the EVO as something "different" we may not be having this conversation. They need to fire the ad company that came up with that embarrassing commercial.

I don't agree that the S3 is trying to be a bigger iPhone. I think that they have taken the good from iPhone and put it into android. I don't see a problem with this. Have one phone with the good from multiple platforms. Sounds great to me!