HTC Mail Memory Leak/Bug ("Phone Storage Getting Low")

mike_k#AC

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
workaround

I think I finally found a workaround. Go to the mail app, open the trash folder. I had ~3000 files. Don't use the multiple delete as this will increase the apps size and lockup the phone (mine ran out of space). If you delete these individually it will start to decrease the size used.

If you use the multiple delete it increases the mail app data size, not sure why. If you go back in and delete a few individually it will bring it back down.

Recommend only deleting them individually.

Hope this helps.

HTC where is the fix, I've seen postings for March of last year on this problem.

Mike

Shaner

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Now when you say "wipe the phone" is that like a factory reset? If this is done you will have to reinstall everything? Not a big deal I guess, but just wondering. I too am having a "low memory" issue and currently researching possible reasons and solutions. I have a HTC Desire Android 2.2. I just want to get all my facts somewhat straight before I wipe the phone clean and try using third party apps for email, like K9.

Ferg

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone ever Powered off their phone, removed their SD and then boot to see if the message goes away?
I wonder if there are some apps that even though are on your SD card, they still add files to the phone's internal memory?

skmadden1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Low on Space Fix

I was able to resolve the Low on Space issue by deleting all of the text messages. This made the error go away. I had alot of text message, but still had plenty of space available.

I also made a change to save attachments in text messages to be saved on the SD card. This can be done in the options located in the text message app.

I hope this fixes your issue too.

Ferg

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think deleting 3000 msgs from the Trash folder is "the solution" or "work around" ??? That's sort of obvious, isn't it??? LOL The issue is about the phone having plenty of space, yet still receiving the warning.

mike_k#AC

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
workaround

Ferg, I agree, not a very good workaround, however it did allow me to get my mail app space back down to 6 MB from ~70MB. They should really have an option whether you even store deleted msgs. or how about fix the multiple delete function.

As for android, not sure why there it even a limitation on the app space when you have plenty of space left.

In either case, it did prevent me from having to wipe my phone.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I used the multiple delete function, and had no issues at all. That Trash folder is definitely a storage-eater though!

aaron_h#AC

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Easy Fix****

The problem is the cache is full and needs to be cleared out. *I have hundreds of Apps and that is NOT the problem. *
Here is how you clear out the cache and this sorts out the problem:
From the home screen > Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
Wait for all the icons of your Apps to appear then touch the Running Tab at the top
Click Menu then Sort by Size (the largest apps will appear at the top)
Select each app and then CLEAR DATA.
Till clear your cache and solve the "Low on Space" problem. *The biggest cache users are your email apps.

Ferg

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
What you are saying is that it is a cache thing as opposed to apps. I say this because when you click on the warning, it takes you to all your apps. Even apps that are on your SD card.
Does this mean that even though apps are installed to the SD, the apps cache still affects the internal space???
I'm not sure of what I just said, but I've always wondered if there are some apps that can "bleed" over to the Internal side?

Last edited:

srgsparky

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Phone low on space twice now

About a year ago I was receiving the "LOS" prompt...then eventually wasn't able to send any text messages from the (stock) phone message app...Upon reading and needing to text, i ultimately did the master reset. After that i did NOT use the onboard email client anymore not even setting up pop, used K9. Just a week ago i got the Low on Space again. As of today i could text (apparently same problem). I can however text with a dif app called "handcent"...Doing the master reset again. Bummed.

Ferg

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The thing with the "LOS" message has been so frustrating to thousands since the phone's release. Deleting apps really does not "fix" it either.
What is more insane is that even though you can move some apps to SD, those app will STILL affect the supposed Low Storage Crap! Ever notice during a reboot that the message does not appear until your SD card is fully recognized? In fact, take out your card and reboot. You likely will not get the message! The "problem" is that even with most of your apps on your card, it's the D-A-T-A associated with each app that causes the shortage. Next instead of deleting apps, go to Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications. Select the ALL tab at the top and then "Sort by Size" Click on each app and notice how much DATA the app stores. THIS is what the message refers to. Yes, it is possible to rid yourself on the message by deleting app but, it's the DATA portion of the app that causes this "shortage of space" The app may be on your card but, the DATA goes to internal memory. This is why it is so frustrating to see you have 675mb of space left, yet the message says your low! AND...when you click the message it takes you to your apps but it does not explain that it is the4 DATA part of the apps that causes the issue! So here we all go deleting app that we like!
Is this exclusive the the Incredible??? I ASS-ume that it cannot be fixed with any sort of an update? I mean the phone has been out almost a year!!!

note: remember when deleting DATA for an app, that you are deleting your saved settings etc. Deleting DATA from some apps might not delete the app itself but, the next time to start the app it might be like the first time you installed it.

srgsparky

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
faulty phone

Okay, here's the deal...spoke with a Verizon tech yesterday and mentioned my issues above...She directed me to Messages (All messages), Click "menu" and "settings" Top column on my faulty phone (incred) says "SMS settings" and not what it is suppose to say "Phone Storage" where you can have your deleted text messages deleted after what ever you choose....Also, she had me go to "about phone" under main "settings" and read off software information....it should be 2.2....mine wasn't updating from 2.1...so she checked to see if she could "push" the update w/o success....so my new Incred just arrived FED EX...with 2.2...Stay tuned.......

srg

Ferg

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
"Okay, here's the deal...spoke with a Verizon tech"

Rarely, has a Verizon tech solved a major issue. Although it is possible to cause the error with mail or text, the majority have addressed that "solution" as their first try.

read my lips D-A-T-A

lol

Good Luck just the same. Report back after 30 days, not mins!

MikeOM

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The only way I can get this to disappear is to delete all data from the facebook app. The moment I log in again though it comes back. It's really annoying since I have a ton of space on my phone.

david5624

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I was suffering low phone memory to the point where I could not receive a text. regardless of how many emails, texts etc I dleteted the problem persisted. From reading this thread, I deleted all HTC mail data and force closed the app. Advance task killer keeps it killed. I setup my email using K9 and I have had no memory issue since. Poor reflection on HTC that this issue has gone on so long.

David

Ferg

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Drath - You have to read my post, a few above. I'm sure you have some apps that you can delete the DATA only from. Same thing happened to me again last night after installing a bunch of apps. Mostly my problem is that I should have moved them to my SD as I was installing.
Also, you might want to get App 2 SD.

Last edited:

MikeOM

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have moved as many apps as I can to the SD card and removed data on apps as well. Interesting thing is if I get gmail, a text or almost any type of data I get the out of memory error.

I erase data a lot, but it does not seem to do much. Thanks for the tips though.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Weird how phones differ because I dont have any apps on my sd card(on purpose) , I dont use a task killer and I get about 50 emails a day and sms messages vary (30-60). Never got this error and I normally dont clear out the caches unless im bord

MikeOM

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah even though our phones are alike they can still be different. I have not had the error since the last time I posted so maybe it has gone away for awhile!

LOL :D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shellycharls9