HTC One: Stuck in Bootloader and Can't get into Recovery. HELP!!

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One Stuck in Bootloader and Can't get into Recovery. HELP!!

Its happened before it looks like the EMMC might be corrupt

ok then. well I found these sites and asked if anyone figured out how to get the recovery back since that would be a start. If the EMMC is corrupt then we need the recovery according to the first website.
Android Revolution HD | Mobile Device Technologies: How to: fix a corrupted DATA partition on the HTC One
Bootloop - Recovery not working - Page 4 - xda-developers

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

ok then. well I found these sites and asked if anyone figured out how to get the recovery back since that would be a start. If the EMMC is corrupt then we need the recovery according to the first website.
Android Revolution HD | Mobile Device Technologies: How to: fix a corrupted DATA partition on the HTC One

What version of recovery are you using? Is your bootloader still unlocked? Can you unlock it?

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

What version of recovery are you using? Is your bootloader still unlocked? Can you unlock it?
Just replied to you over at xda but I'm pasting it here as well.
I'm using the TWRP recovery for HTC One Sprint. And yes I'm still unlocked since it fails to lock every time I try to lock it (also fails to unlock again using the unlock code); like it fails with everything else ha
Here is the file name: openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7wls.img

I'm going to go into sprint today. I've wasted enough time on this. Hopefully they can help somehow.

piftoffpenguin

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

GEEZ! I have this exact same issue. Caused by the battery dying as well. Stupidest hardware bug I have ever seen. My post is over here:
[Q] HTC One (T-Mobile) soft bricked - Page 9 - xda-developers

Did you ever get an answer or at least find out what it actually was? If I have to replace the damned thing I'd rather not waste more time fighting with it. Going on 3 days now. HTC told me to blow off or spend $250 because it was "tampered". Tmobile told me to blow off because of the same thing, but as far as I can tell this has happened to a TON of people on TMobile who havent even rooted. At my wits end here and tempted to take it to HTC real good legally since there is likely enough trail with others having this problem to PROVE its a hardware/design flaw.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried flashing a different recovery (maybe CWM) or event he stock recovery? Then maybe clearing the cache and trying again? Just throwing out ideas.

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

GEEZ! I have this exact same issue. Caused by the battery dying as well. Stupidest hardware bug I have ever seen. My post is over here:
[Q] HTC One (T-Mobile) soft bricked - Page 9 - xda-developers

Did you ever get an answer or at least find out what it actually was? If I have to replace the damned thing I'd rather not waste more time fighting with it. Going on 3 days now. HTC told me to blow off or spend $250 because it was "tampered". Tmobile told me to blow off because of the same thing, but as far as I can tell this has happened to a TON of people on TMobile who havent even rooted. At my wits end here and tempted to take it to HTC real good legally since there is likely enough trail with others having this problem to PROVE its a hardware/design flaw.

Just read through you entire post over at xda. You have exactly the same problem as me except I never got mine into recovery. I tried flashing different version of TWRP and CWM but even when I tried CWM it tried to boot into TWRP and then boot looped. I didn't get it fixed since nothing worked. I tried RUU, All in one toolkit, flashing, etc and they all boot looped.

I filed a claim with Asurion and should get a new phone tomorrow. It was 150. Sprint is supposed to service rooted phone. I have a document saying so but they said no to me. They wouldn't even try when I said I would pay for the service since it would have been likely less than 150.

I would like to try that philz recovery but I don't think there is a compatible version for m7wls, I checked. As for the battery issue, did yours die extremely fast? and then you had to charge it up? Mine was fully charged, I went to school and after a 3 hr class I pulled my phone out only to notice it was dead. It wasn't glitchy at all that morning so a random battery fail and possibly causing damage to the phone makes perfect sense. I initially thought it had gone into a boot loop for a random reason and that's what killed the battery, but your discovery makes sense too.

Have you gotten any closer to get it running? The first thing you need to fix after the recovery is that boot loop issue and getting it locked. The boot loop is just going to screw you over every time you try a new approach.

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

ya i tried CWM and it didn't change the recovery at all even though it said it flashed successfully. I think this issue is some kind of special brick for HTC Ones going by what @piftoffpenguin is saying about it being a battery failure that starts it.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

ya i tried CWM and it didn't change the recovery at all even though it said it flashed successfully. I think this issue is some kind of special brick for HTC Ones going by what @piftoffpenguin is saying about it being a battery failure that starts it.

Interesting. I keep trying to think of ideas but get stuck since you are S-ON. I feel like it could be fixed it you were S-OFF. Just out of curiosity, have you tried running one of the S-off tools? I have no idea what it will do but it could kick your device back into booting or at least allowing you to fastboot oem rebootRUU. Just thinking out loud. Also, since you are unlocked have you tried fastboot oem readcid and fastboot oem writecid 11111111 and then write it back. It might not do anything but I am just thinking it could help kick it back to life. Also, I would be curious to what all that does.

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Interesting. I keep trying to think of ideas but get stuck since you are S-ON. I feel like it could be fixed it you were S-OFF. Just out of curiosity, have you tried running one of the S-off tools? I have no idea what it will do but it could kick your device back into booting or at least allowing you to fastboot oem rebootRUU. Just thinking out loud. Also, since you are unlocked have you tried fastboot oem readcid and fastboot oem writecid 11111111 and then write it back. It might not do anything but I am just thinking it could help kick it back to life. Also, I would be curious to what all that does.

I did some research and it seems on rumrunner will do s-off for hoot 1.55, which is what I have, so I could give that a try. Not sure if it will work since I think it requires adb and my phone isn't working with adb, only fastboot. What would that allow me to do exactly that I haven't tried before?

And I haven't done anything with the cid, another thing i could try. Even if I get this working, which is doubtful, I still have to send it in since I'm getting a new one from Asurion tomorrow. The only plus would be being able to help anyone else who meets this misfortune. It seems that piftoffpenguin has gotten closer to a fix for this issue than I have since he got recovery to work even with his s-off getting set to s-on again.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

I did some research and it seems on rumrunner will do s-off for hoot 1.55, which is what I have, so I could give that a try. Not sure if it will work since I think it requires adb and my phone isn't working with adb, only fastboot. What would that allow me to do exactly that I haven't tried before?

And I haven't done anything with the cid, another thing i could try. Even if I get this working, which is doubtful, I still have to send it in since I'm getting a new one from Asurion tomorrow. The only plus would be being able to help anyone else who meets this misfortune. It seems that piftoffpenguin has gotten closer to a fix for this issue than I have since he got recovery to work even with his s-off getting set to s-on again.

With recovery working and an unlocked bootloader you could use adb sideload in recovery to flash a custom rom. Like cyanogenmod or something similar. Then your phone might end up booting up. Make sure to clear dalvik cache prior to flashing to make sure there aren't any issues.

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

With recovery working and an unlocked bootloader you could use adb sideload in recovery to flash a custom rom. Like cyanogenmod or something similar. Then your phone might end up booting up. Make sure to clear dalvik cache prior to flashing to make sure there aren't any issues.

no luck trying rumrunner. It failed since it couldn't connect using adb. and trying to write the cid failed as well, all I could do is read it.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

no luck trying rumrunner. It failed since it couldn't connect using adb. and trying to write the cid failed as well, all I could do is read it.

Have you tried the unlock process again through fastboot with your identifier token?

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

ya that fails too :/

dang. The last thing I could possible think of would be to try and reset it through QPST to see if that worked. Probably too much trouble at this point since you are already getting a replacement.

Greg Williams7

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

I was in this same situation and just used the unlock bin from htcdev to unlock again. The problem was that it was locked again which prevented the custom ROM I had on there from booting.

Melvin Fletcher

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I am sorry, I do not post in forums like these very often, and im a super noob, but I was having the exact same issues as you. I tried everything I could find, to no avail.

There was one thing i did that seemed to work though. As I was trying the fastboot commands proposed by benny3, and trying some things on my own, I managed to get back into my recovery. These are the exact steps I took that let me get back into my recovery, where i was able to flash a new rom:

fastboot erase cache (of the commands proposed by benny3, this was the only one that worked for me)

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (I flashed the latest CWM recovery for HTC One)

after that, i rebooted to recovery from the bootloader, and it came right up.

maybe this could work for you!

Cyal Siwek

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

i have an HTC ONE SV, i never rooted the phone or did anything to it that would void the warranty, it updated the firmware once but that was months ago. i let the phone die one night while i was doing hw and i had this exact same problem, ON MY STOCK PHONE, it just power cycles and shows the htc inspire screen over and over, occasionally it will boot a black home screen with nothing there for a moment only to show a "process system has failed, wait or kill process" then just go back to booting and rebooting, grrr. anyway boost and htc gave me the runaround for awhile, eventually a nice guy from htc told me to just send it in and they'd reflash the disk image, so i send it in and they want 150 dollars saying they wont fix it unless i also get the screen fixed(small crack) , i argued that they didnt need to fix the screen just reflash it and send it back to me, they didnt... they sent me my phone back, still with a corrupted disk image. they nice guy on the phone said "it isnt supposed to happen at all unless you root your phone because there'd be no way to access critical files, but very rarely it does happen"... THAT SOUNDS ALOT LIKE A DESIGN FLAW TO ME... so for now i have a sh**tty samsung galaxy rush untill i can afford to buy another nice phone, im still trying to get the thing to work out of spite, if any of you guys have any bright ideas let me know! :)

aplekan

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

when you have all that done open a cmd prompt and with the phone in fastboot usb mode type these cmd's

fastboot erase cache

fastboot erase userdata

fastboot erase system

fastboot reboot bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip rom.zip

with the last cmd, if it comes back with a error about flushing or something like that just type the cmd again

okay so im having the same problem. im on hboot 1.56 it says tampered, relocked and security warning
im stuck in bootloader. i did everything you said.. when running the last command it sends it to my phone okay but i failed because the signature verify fail.
is there a fix or am i S.O.L?