HTC One: Stuck in Bootloader and Can't get into Recovery. HELP!!

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One Stuck in Bootloader and Can't get into Recovery. HELP!!

okay so im having the same problem. im on hboot 1.56 it says tampered, relocked and security warning
im stuck in bootloader. i did everything you said.. when running the last command it sends it to my phone okay but i failed because the signature verify fail.
is there a fix or am i S.O.L?

Reboot back into the bootloader and when the security warning is gone try again

Taylor Coffin

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

I am sorry, I do not post in forums like these very often, and im a super noob, but I was having the exact same issues as you. I tried everything I could find, to no avail.

There was one thing i did that seemed to work though. As I was trying the fastboot commands proposed by benny3, and trying some things on my own, I managed to get back into my recovery. These are the exact steps I took that let me get back into my recovery, where i was able to flash a new rom:

fastboot erase cache (of the commands proposed by benny3, this was the only one that worked for me)

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (I flashed the latest CWM recovery for HTC One)

after that, i rebooted to recovery from the bootloader, and it came right up.

maybe this could work for you!

Thanks so much. I've been at this for hours trying to get out of the bootloader. I think this is what I had to do last time too. Now just to get the custom rom back on

brandilyn

May 20, 2014
Visit site

I am having a similar issue with my inspire. I was able to get it to load after I took out the battery, SD and SIM for a few hours but now phone is in safe mode. If I try to restart to get out of safe mode it will get stuck in the boot screen again. I was given this phone so don't know if anything was done to it other than a factory reset. Any suggestions would be AWESOME!!

Tim2006

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I had almost the same problem last night. I have a HTC one S (s4). After I installed a new rom, the system will stop at the HTC logo. Also I can not mount the USBSTORAGE to computer in recovery. So I decided to intall a new recovery from the fastboot. I tried the newest CWM recovery, but after I installed that using fastboot commands, I coundn't enter the recovery and the system kept to reboot again and again. Finally, I tried an older version of TWRP recovery, and it worked and I was able to enter the recovery and mount the usbstorage to computer and copy other ROMs to the SD card.

I guess maybe its because my hboot version is too old, so it is not compatible with the newest recovery and ROMs. So if you have the same problem and the can not enter the newest recovery, you may try an older one.

ReeVky Muntazbillah

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I am sorry, I do not post in forums like these very often, and im a super noob, but I was having the exact same issues as you. I tried everything I could find, to no avail.

There was one thing i did that seemed to work though. As I was trying the fastboot commands proposed by benny3, and trying some things on my own, I managed to get back into my recovery. These are the exact steps I took that let me get back into my recovery, where i was able to flash a new rom:

fastboot erase cache (of the commands proposed by benny3, this was the only one that worked for me)

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (I flashed the latest CWM recovery for HTC One)

after that, i rebooted to recovery from the bootloader, and it came right up.

maybe this could work for you!

I have same problem with my international HTC One, I tried all the best I can do, but nothing work, I tried this method too, but it seems not work for me :(

Jiber Magdiell

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
You are just using the wrong RUU zip file. You need to find out your original software version and google the apropiated RUU zip for your Phone. If your software version is 5.03.651.3, what you need to get is 5.03.651.3 RUU HTC ONE zip file. Then if you got 5.06.651.6 you'll need 5.06.651.6 RUU HTC One zip file. Otherwise is NOT going to work.

run this command on adb:

fastboot getvar all

a list will be displayed. Look for the "version-main: x.xx.xxx.x". Once you know your software version: then go ahead and google the proper RUU.zip for your software version. Download it, unzip it, and run ARUWizard.exe contained in the extracted folder. Conect the phone to the computer via USB, get into the bootloader (make sure to put the phone in fastboot usb mode.) then just fallow the easy steps at ARUWizard software.

If everything goes all right at this point you'll see an HTC logo in a black background and a green installation bar showing you the the progress of the installation.

i know it would be too late for the guy who started the gap; but i am aware that there is more people who also have the same issue. I hope I have helped someone. Greetings from Miami, fl. My best wishes to you all!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I need some serious help, I been at this since August ! all help appreciated.

hers what I'm running, HTC ONE M8 2014 Verizon, S- off, Unlocked. H - Boot 3.16.0.0000 It's my friends, here's what I know, was running GPE rom. phone died now stuck in bootloader fastboot. I can't ADB, Can't erase Chace, can't flash a recovery, can't access recovery , when I try to flash I get failed error, I can't get to a black htC screen. I tried several RUU on sd card I get PU_error update. if I run get Var I get what's below, there is no main version btw. please help, I think emmc is corrupt.

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: INVALID_VER_INFO
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno:Removed
(bootloader) imei: Remved
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: Removed
(bootloader) product: m8_wlv
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B20000
(bootloader) cidnum: VZW__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: fd3e0448
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.016s

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Can you tell me some of the things you have tried and the cmds you used doing it, First you use fastboot cmds while in the bootloader and not adb. adb is used while in recovery or booted into the system. So if you want to flash the recovery img i always name it recovery.img and put it in the adb/fastboot folder on the PC and type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell me some of the things you have tried and the cmds you used doing it, First you use fastboot cmds while in the bootloader and not adb. adb is used while in recovery or booted into the system. So if you want to flash the recovery img i always name it recovery.img and put it in the adb/fastboot folder on the PC and type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

yes I understand that fastboot and adb are different, it was pretty late when I typed, I may of misworded, sorry. I can't have my device found If I try to access it in ADB. I have rand multiple commans, all you posed and I get fails. failed to erase cache, failed to write, access denied. I run the flash recovery command your talking about and it fails to write. I just can't seem to get anything to run. emmc testing through the emmc commands turn up odd results. i'll post all my findings below.

my downloads folder is where my SDK is btw

C:\Users\Keith\Downloads>fastboot erase cache
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
erasing 'cache'...
FAILED (remote: erasing error!)

C:\Users\Keith\Downloads>fastboot erase userdata
erasing 'userdata'...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.000s

C:\Users\Keith\Downloads>fastboot erase system
erasing 'system'...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.000s

C:\Users\Keith\Downloads>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
target reported max download size of 1830727680 bytes
sending 'recovery' (15220 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.352s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: image update error)
finished. total time: 1.445s
C:\Users\Keith\Downloads>fastboot oem check_emmc_mid
(bootloader) eMMC Manufacturer ID: 45
(bootloader) eMMC should be Sandisk
OKAY [ 0.016s]

C:\Users\Keith\Downloads>fastboot oem get_ext_csd_emmc
(bootloader) [DEBUG] Cmd8 polling status timed out, MCI_STATUS: 0x4C20
(bootloader) [DEBUG] sdcc_command: sdcc_poll_status error, rc: 2
(bootloader) get_ext_csd_emmc fail
OKAY [ 0.016s]

C:\Users\Keith\Downloads>fastboot oem get_sector_info_emmc
(bootloader) Available eMMC Sector = 61071359
OKAY [ 0.016s]

C:\Users\Keith\Downloads>fastboot oem get_wp_info_emmc
(bootloader) eMMC write protection group size = 32768
OKAY [ 0.016s]

C:\Users\Keith\Downloads>fastboot oem load_emmc
(bootloader) command format: load_emmc [len] [start]
OKAY [ 0.016s]

C:\Users\Keith\Downloads>fastboot oem send_wp_info_emmc
(bootloader) Invalid parameter
(bootloader) command format: send_wp_info_emmc [wp_start] [CMD31?]
OKAY [ 0.016s]

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Check out this thread. There are some options you can try. I would try the recovery first. The problem you are having with the recovery is failing is the hboot you have does not have the all the fastboot commands needed so using the zip he has posted and renaming it to "0PB6IMG.zip" and putting it on the external sdcard the bootloader will flash it. Or you can use the method he posted Flash in RUU mode

EDIT:
Here use this zip, I named it already just put on the external sdcard boot into the bootloader. it will scan the zip and ask if you want to update, yes you do. after it updates shut the phone off and either leave the sdcard out or rename the zip or remove it. then see if you can boot in to recovery

https://db.tt/l5fYghId

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Didn't work, I get image is wrong error. keep in mind this is a Verizon HTC M8.

Edit :: got zip to load, you typed the file name. update tried yo run then failed [1] recovery -fail - pu, partition update fail !

you never linked a thread so I can read up. thanks for all the help in advance.

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Didn't work, I get image is wrong error. keep in mind this is a Verizon HTC M8.

Edit :: got zip to load, you typed the file name. update tried yo run then failed [1] recovery -fail - pu, partition update fail !

you never linked a thread so I can read up. thanks for all the help in advance.

This is for the vzw m8. inside the zip is a infi.text file the main ver, needs to match that of the phone
EXE/ZIP RUU M8_VZW 4.4.4 (s-off only)(newest… | Verizon HTC One (M8) | XDA Forums

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
This is for the vzw m8. inside the zip is a infi.text file the main ver, needs to match that of the phone.

maybe I'm doing this wrong, I open in win rar, open in notepad make main ver blank since mine is blank on get ver all. save it then same results fail to update.

glya1

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

Dear friend, this work for me too. Thank you very much !
I used recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.8-m7.img for following device :
version: 0.5
version-bootloader: 1.57.0000
version-baseband: 4T.28.3218.04
version-cpld: None
version-microp: None
version-main: 6.14.206.2
version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
serialno:
imei:
meid: 00000000000000
product: m7_ul
platform: HBOOT-8064
modelid: PN0710000
cidnum: O2___102
battery-status: good
battery-voltage: 4281mV
partition-layout: Generic
security: on
build-mode: SHIP
boot-mode: FASTBOOT
commitno-bootloader: dirty-6d8a0b9b
hbootpreupdate: 11
gencheckpt: 0

Have a lot of fun !

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

haha ok no repeats.
Well the thing is after I run "fastboot oem lock" it goes into a boot loop on the htc screen (trying reboot, reboot-bootloader, recovery and factory reset all send it in a boot loop). Once I get it back into the boot loader it still stays tampered and unlocked at the top. I would assume after locking it should be booting back into the bootloader by itself or starting up the phone like normal but my phone won't start up normally.

Last edited:

JameSiu

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem that you had. It took me one day to figure out how to do it was a hard time for me i would said :)
the bootloader was relocked and also i can even click on factory reset
send your email if you needed help it's very simple for me :cool:
I definitely would try my best to help you

dcgamer

May 7, 2015
Visit site
C:\Users\David\Desktop\htc>fastboot devices
HT34RW908404 fastboot

C:\Users\David\Desktop\htc>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.57.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.28.3218.04
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 6.14.206.2
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT34RW908404
(bootloader) imei: 354436054260821
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: O2___102
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4268mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-6d8a0b9b
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.039s

i have same problem pls help m if you can

Svetli Ivanov

May 10, 2015
Visit site
JameSiu please share your experience! It will help to many people!

I manage to unlock my relocked boodloader with JBFWTOOL21. You will find it in google, I can not post a link here.

Great thanks to stuart0001!

Last edited: