I like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain.

jsonnebe

Aug 28, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I am from Michigan. I am using a Moto G5+ with Android 8.1.0.

I'm here because I have run into a few things that really irritate me. Ads. Yep, I know they make the internet go round. But I try and get rid of em whenever I can.

Recently, I have been seeing these two things when visiting some of my regular haunts - A banner ad across the bottom of my phone and a white bell surrounded by red circles acting as a notification icon. I want both of these things to disappear. :) pop up ads.png
I am sure these problems are due to user error. Anyone help a guy out?

Thanks for your time and energy! :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Which browser are you using? Are you getting those banners and icon on every page you open?

jsonnebe

Aug 28, 2019
Visit site
I have two browsers - chrome and opera. The notification icon happens with both browsers. The banner ads seem to be chrome only.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have two browsers - chrome and opera. The notification icon happens with both browsers. The banner ads seem to be chrome only.
It you get the icon with Opera it probably means it is part of the page code. I don't think there's much you can do. Maybe using a browser like Brave.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome!
I see the same thing but only on some sites. I agree that it's just part of the site's programming and either accept the nuisance or don't go to that site.

jsonnebe

Aug 28, 2019
Visit site
Yea, I didn't have too much hope of eliminating the bell icon. Trouble is, it's big and I hit it every time I scroll. Thanks.

jsonnebe

Aug 28, 2019
Visit site
I just downloaded AdBlocker Ultimate Browser and my banner ads and notification icon have disappeared. Not sure if this new browser will cause problems of its own, or if it works similar to what I am used to, but we are liking it for now.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Ah yes, ads are very bad. Rest assured that you are not the only user to encounter ad troubles - I believe we have a few threads on here about ad blocker apps.

Have fun around the forums! :)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome aboard.

Yes, I myself had trouble with a certain app recently whose unblockable ads I found intolerably intrusive. I uninstalled it.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I'm here because I have run into a few things that really irritate me. Ads. Yep, I know they make the internet go round. But I try and get rid of em whenever I can.

Recently, I have been seeing these two things when visiting some of my regular haunts - A banner ad across the bottom of my phone and a white bell surrounded by red circles acting as a notification icon. I want both of these things to disappear. :) View attachment 308359

Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!
Ads are a very bad internet experience for sure, hope that new browser works for you.

Sent From my TARDIS Blue Note 9

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
It you get the icon with Opera it probably means it is part of the page code. I don't think there's much you can do. Maybe using a browser like Brave.

I second this. I use Brave on my Android devices (phones and tablet) and my Windows laptop and it is the BEST browser ever, with the BEST ad blocker on the market. No need for third party ad blocker add-ons!

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

Recently, I have been seeing these two things when visiting some of my regular haunts - A banner ad across the bottom of my phone and a white bell surrounded by red circles acting as a notification icon. I want both of these things to disappear. :) View attachment 308359

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29