If you like to back up you photos and such to physical storage

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
So the other day I tried connecting my external hard drive to my v20 via normal USB to USB Type-C and realized that as long as the hard drive is in the right format, it works! Only issue I noticed is that it drains battery like a mofo so I'd only with a decent amount of battery and only for transferring of data. I wouldn't watch a movie or play music that's on the hard drive. It also works with USB thumb drives and that will use less battery

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, those will work... however, remember that if the external drive is a powered one (draws more than standard power from the port) it won't work unless you supply the power from another source.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Yup, those will work... however, remember that if the external drive is a powered one (draws more than standard power from the port) it won't work unless you supply the power from another source.
The external hard drive I have is USB port driven so works just fine though it wasn't in the correct format so I had to transfer everything to my computer then used phone to format and there retransfered everything back to hard drive

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Even USB port ones can be powered drives! It's usually the case with older drives (mechanical), but some are still 'powered' as in they draw more current from the USB port than the standard spec to power themselves. Most desktop computers have all ports (or some) that can deliver such power, but mobile devices are limited in that regard.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Even USB port ones can be powered drives! It's usually the case with older drives (mechanical), but some are still 'powered' as in they draw more current from the USB port than the standard spec to power themselves. Most desktop computers have all ports (or some) that can deliver such power, but mobile devices are limited in that regard.
True. It is an older hard drive. Seems to work fine though