Important app not compatible with Pixel 6 for some reason (Dexcom G6 app)

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Long story short, I got jumped last night at a gas station and the perp got my phone from me and threw it 40 feet across the highway. Imagine my surprise when I picked it up and other than the case being cracked, there wasn't a scratch on the phone. Only issue is it would not recognize sim card, so I bought a new Pixel 6 this morning. Issue is that the Dexcom G6 app doesn't come up in the play store on the Pixel 6 for some reason. Was using the app without issue on now-broken Galaxy S21 5G. I can't find any option to allow 3rd party app installation, not even in the developer options on Pixel 6. I really need the app, as it's a glucose monitoring app I use multiple times each day. Anyone know how to enable 3rd party app installation on Pixel 6? Only other phone choice is the Galaxy S22, which isn't even available yet, so no idea if the Dexcom app will be available through Play store on that phone.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
If you have the apk file and know that it is safe and trusted then yes you can install it. Open Settings and search for unknown and that will take you to the setting for Install Unknown Apps and allow access

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
If you have the apk file and know that it is safe and trusted then yes you can install it. Open Settings and search for unknown and that will take you to the setting for Install Unknown Apps and allow access

Thank you for that. I found it per your suggestion. I always forget about searching the settings. How do I know if an apk is safe?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What I've done for apps no longer available is backup the apk file using a file or app manager app that allows backing up the apk. If it was good on the last phone, a copy of it should be good on the new phone. With one proviso - it is possible that older apps might not run appropriately on the new Android or OS.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
APK Mirror is one popular place to get apk files for apps
What I've done for apps no longer available is backup the apk file using a file or app manager app that allows backing up the apk. If it was good on the last phone, a copy of it should be good on the new phone. With one proviso - it is possible that older apps might not run appropriately on the new Android or OS.
Agree

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Well, since I got the Pixel 6 Pro last week, I'm up on moving/copying older, no longer available apps. I found a few apps that I use regularly missing after the change in devices. Looking for them in the Google Store found them gone or updated in some fashion. Back to the Pixel 3, find the app and "backup" the apk file, copy apk file to new phone and install. Meet with warning "this might not run, install anyway?" Now, again, it might be prudent to try finding a more modern app that accomplishes the same thing. Or stick with what you like and deal with the consequences.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
My concern in doing this is that maybe these apps were removed from Google Play for a good reason, such as containing malware it spyware?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
My concern in doing this is that maybe these apps were removed from Google Play for a good reason, such as containing malware it spyware?

I don't think so. They just aren't compatible with the device I'm on, but the app is still available for my wife's older Galaxy S10 in the play store.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. They just aren't compatible with the device I'm on, but the app is still available for my wife's older Galaxy S10 in the play store.

If you'd like I can send you a link for a build your own app for the Dexcom G6.

Dexcom hasn't updated their app to work with Pixels.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good grief, I'm glad you were unharmed! I hope the scuzzbag who assaulted you gets what's coming to him.:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali