Impressions of One Plus?

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Long-time Android user here. Crap, I'm not even sure I remember my first Android. Probably a Sammy S3 or something. And generally, I've used a lot of Galaxies...in fact, all of the S's and a couple of the Notes. Also have run Sony, LG, Moto, Pixel, and even once owned a ZTE. But the 6T rumors are ticking all of the boxes for me and as much as I have liked my S8+ and been surprised by it's longevity in battery life and performance, I think I am going to jump on the 6T bandwagon if the rumors are true about its features.

But I'd like to hear about impressions of the One+ brand compared to the premium brands (mainly Samsung) in terms of both build and function. Any Apple user impression comparisons would be useful too.

There was a time with Samsung and Google were considered second rate but they are considered top or near top quality now. Will I be taking a step back with One Plus?

Thanks in advance!

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm really interested in the 6T too. My next phone will either be the 6T, P20 Pro, or Mate 20. I can't wait any longer. S6 is aging bad. Good thing with the 6T, is it'll be on T-Mo so I'm hoping I'll actually get the chance to have hands-on with it in store and check it out myself.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
One plus is a great product. I'll be getting the 6t when it drops. Usually fast and fluid. Build quality is great and they update regularly. I wouldn't be concerned.

DelayShite

Sep 17, 2018
Visit site
Also switching to the 6T from an S8+. Partially cause the features look very very enticing, partially cause I'm annoyed with Samsung cause they refuse to fix my Indian S8+ over in Australia. Broke the screen and they say the only option I have of getting it fixed officially is to take it back to India lol.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Eh, I like the bang for the buck aspect of the OP series. But no water proofing, screen resolution not as high as other flagships. Limited to GSM networks, etc. I always back away from OP in the end. Considering the 6T though again this time around. Then again just wait 6 months and see what the OP7 offers. :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm very pleased with my 1+6 8gb ram
fastest andriod I've used and I have lot of phones to compare it with , and also the build quality top notch. software experience the best I've seen so far even against my pixel 2 xl...and the price for what you get is awesome.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm very pleased with my 1+6 8gb ram
fastest andriod I've used and I have lot of phones to compare it with , and also the build quality top notch. software experience the best I've seen so far even against my pixel 2 xl...and the price for what you get is awesome.

Have to agree, I've had all of the Samsungs, LG's HTC's, etc. and I am more than happy with the OP6's lower price point without skimping on its performance and software support!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't say enough good things about OnePlus - and I have yet to use a product from them, so this is not a case of user bias.

OnePlus is definitely a "flagship killer" for a reason. Quality products with decent specs, at a fraction of the price of their competitors. I really like OnePlus and have been following them more intently since the 5; but was also interested in the 3/3T and thought that line was awesome.

I think OnePlus sometimes gets a bad rep for things like camera, not having AOD/water resistance/other flagship specs - but at the end of the day, it still delivers. Their cameras are good (they're not Pixel- or Samsung-level, but they're good); they have an alert slider which is intuitive and unique; and not everyone needs or wants all of the bells and whistles of a flagship phone (nor do they want the price that goes with one). Potential customers will pick and choose which specs they want and which ones they can live without; and it's obvious that OnePlus works for many, because they always fly off the shelves with each new release.

You'll still get a good phone that is smooth and quick (and I've heard that Oxygen OS is smooth and even close to stock Android, which is a big plus in my book); and they come in decent sizes with beautiful designs. I really wanted the 5T and the 5 (moreso the 5) but waited too long both times. That's one thing with OP: you gotta jump on those phones when you want them; because once they're gone, they're gone!

All in all, I'd recommend OnePlus for sure; and would also use their product in a heartbeat.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Many times, when people talk about their OP6 they feel the need to add a caveat, "For the price." That may have been true with OP's inception, but now their phones are well above $500. It wasn't that long ago that was flagship pricing. The era of phones costing over $1000 is upon us and I'm thankful that OP is marketing phones for those of us that think a grand is simply too much to spend on a phone. (I'm using the term phone loosely since they are much more than that)
The OP6 is simply amazing and will compete favorably against any of those $1000 and above phones.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm finally pulling the trigger on a OnePlus device when the 6t drops. I've been a Galaxy note/LG V series guy for a couple of years, and I really don't find myself using most of the software "features", I just want smooth and fast. I also think that the Note series has just gotten too pricey for someone who doesn't use the Spen as much as I used to. I'm actually pretty excited to check out OnePlus

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Many times, when people talk about their OP6 they feel the need to add a caveat, "For the price."

Well yeah, no wireless charging, no waterproofing, display and sound not as good as other flagships, GSM only. So you are in fact, settling for less.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Well yeah, no wireless charging, no waterproofing, display and sound not as good as other flagships, GSM only. So you are in fact, settling for less.

Well, sure doesn't seem like I've settled. I've owned phones with wireless charging, yawn. I believe the OP6 is waterproof albeit not certified. Sound and display are subjective. GSM only, if you want to run that other band go buy a Verizon phone. Oh, and I've got a headphone jack (that's a hot topic now) so there. :D

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

Too each their own, I guess as I don't feel I settled for less at all, wireless charging I don't use (didn't use on my S8+ either) not waterproof, I've used my OP6 in the rain and it survived off and on downpours at my 3 youth football games last Saturday in my back pocket of a socked pair of jeans with out issue, screen not as good as my sammy S8+, but close enough that it doesn't bother me and sound is fine for me when listening to music or during a long call. So for me I'll take the OP6 Red 8/128 at a significantly lower price point for the WIN!

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, sure doesn't seem like I've settled. I've owned phones with wireless charging, yawn. I believe the OP6 is waterproof albeit not certified. Sound and display are subjective. GSM only, if you want to run that other band go buy a Verizon phone. Oh, and I've got a headphone jack (that's a hot topic now) so there. :D
OP6 is absolutely not waterproof.

anon(391898)

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It's true that the OP6 isn't certified waterproof, OnePlus does say you can get it lightly wet. However, you just have to be aware that if water does enter the phone somehow it isn't covered under warranty.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I was giving some credence to the YouTube evidence otherwise. Do you have some other information besides it's lack of certification?
I mean, seems pretty common sense that it's water resistant at best, not waterproof. I've seen plenty of videos showing its water resistance and not a one claiming or showing that it's waterproof.

Would be happy to be shown otherwise but as of now, I'm not buying it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was giving some credence to the YouTube evidence otherwise. Do you have some other information besides it's lack of certification?

I thought I read somewhere that it's *maybe* "splash proof" as far as having undergone unofficial testing... But I still wouldn't test that theory.