Infamous "package file is invalid"

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I started getting errors late last week with my first N7v2 (returned tonight) when updating Airdroid. I wrote the devs - what does leaving a filled-diaper 1-star review do for anything? - and they were back to me with suggestions quickly. They ended up sending me the 2.0.4 apk via email, but they're still having problems with Play because I couldn't do a fresh install on my new tablet; I had to use the APK again. I can't install Pocket and some others as well.

This is happening on my Nexus 4 as well both here and at my g/f's place. Sometimes installing/updating one at a time works; sometimes hitting update all repeatedly works; sometimes it never works. I was able to update 3 of 4 apps by going OTA last night, but the 4th bombed out. This is getting to be a real PITMFA.

EDIT: Also, my OG Nexus 7 has Google Play Store 4.2.3; the first N7v2 had 4.3.10 while the replacement has 4.2.9; my N4 was 4.2.3 and I manually updated via APK to 4.3.10. FWIW, I have Comcast with a Belkin router at home and my g/f has AT&T DSL with a 2Wire router.

EDIT #2: Changed my router DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and everything is still failing. Switched off wifi on my Nexus 4 and Opera updated. Tethered my Nexus 7 to it and Pocket and Google Keyboard updated. Obviously, this is highly impractical.

Last edited:

Goofball_Jones

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've tried a ton of stuff, and others are having the same problem, which leads me to believe it's not on our end or it's a bug.

I've had Google Books ready for an update on my new Nexus 7 for the past couple of days, and I keep getting this "Package file invalid" error every time it's tried to update it. I've tried rebooting, tried resetting the cache, tried logging out and back onto my google account....short of standing on my head I can't get this thing to update. And it's not just Google Books. I've tried installing some other apps and I get the same thing on some, while others install without a problem.

Also, I've had zero problems updating and installing apps with my HTC One. This is ONLY happening with my new Nexus 7.

john blake2

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I make / receive calls on my Sensation 4G using WiFi only (i have a $10 pay-as-you-go card to keep the phone active). Received the Package File error after trying to update Talkatone free-calling app on WiFi. Clearing Caches did not work, factory reset did not work. Installed Hideman VPN and the app installed perfectly. Interestingly, Talkatone was the only app to fail with the error. Other apps could download perfectly on WiFi and did require Hideman.

nextcity

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Install the Amazon App Store app...then download Netflix. It will at least allow you to install Netflix until the issue is resolved in the Google Play Store. I do believe it will be the non HD version...but at least you will be able to install it on your device.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Install the Amazon App Store app...then download Netflix. It will at least allow you to install Netflix until the issue is resolved in the Google Play Store. I do believe it will be the non HD version...but at least you will be able to install it on your device.

I was able to install Netflix (2.4.1, build 950) from the Play Store after a reboot. Of course, I'm not a subscriber, so I can't test much other than the opening screen that wants me to log in. :). I could sign up for a trial, but that is so much work. :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
This issue is more common than you may think. Just saw this is entry in the Google technical support area:

[#10230007] ?Package File Invalid? error when downloading or updating apps

We?ve received reports that some users are getting "Package File Invalid" while trying to download or update apps.

We?re currently investigating a permanent solution, and there are no workarounds at this time.

We?ll continue to update this page with developments, so check back soon.

Issue first reported on: August 7, 2013

Last updated on: August 9, 2013

Doesn't offer a solution. Think I'll just wait until Google figures it out.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
This {language removed by Moderator] has me seriously eyeing an iPhone 5S. This is so damn stupid. Does the iPhone ever have these issues pop up? My nexus tablet has been killing itself trying tp update these apps. the battery is lasting 3 hours of scree on time, and now I can't update or install anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
So no announcement from Google yet eh? And no fix?....just work arounds. I'll bet the Android developers are just loving Google right now.

gforce1963

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to say this is the surefire workaround. But I saw somewhere to clear data from Google Services Framework. I did this, rebooted the phone and successfully updated Kindle and Runkeeper. These two apps were giving me the Package File is invalid error message when I tried to update them.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
This [language] has me seriously eyeing an iPhone 5S. This is so damn stupid. Does the iPhone ever have these issues pop up? My nexus tablet has been killing itself trying tp update these apps. the battery is lasting 3 hours of scree on time, and now I can't update or install anything.

At least Google gives you a notification when an app crashes or doesn't upload, unlike another OS. ;)

Google did announce that they're working on an update for this problem so it is just a matter of patience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana