Insane battery drain rate, 30%-0% in seconds

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

No idea how or why this is happening, but it started on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge about a week ago.

I can either have the phone awake or at idle; I've seen it both ways. I was on my email today and the battery was at roughly 32%. I got an alert from the build in power saver setting that it was below 15%. I looked at the toolbar and it said 9%, so I rushed over to the charger (fast charger capable), plugged it in, and got it charging as the phone hit 3%. Even on the fast charger the battery was still draining, so I turned on its "extreme power save" mode or whatever its called (where its black/white only, limited apps, no bluetooth/GPS, etc) and it stopped at 0% with 1h 40m till it was predicted to be fully charged.

I looked at the power usage and the top users were Android System and Android OS at 20% and 16% respectively.

Yes I do use AOS, but I have for 2 years now and never this issue. The phone isn't even getting hot. I installed an add-on battery monitoring app but my phone isn't rooted so it has no capability of singling out what app is causing it. It does, however, monitor temps so its typically 77-82 degrees. When this happened, the phone never exceeded 82. I didn't think it was physically possible for our battery to drain this fast.

Not kidding, the drain from ~32% to 0% took less than 15 seconds, and 5 of that was on the charger.

WTF is going on with my phone?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Battery seems to be failing, replace it before it lets you down at a most inconvenient time.
Probably back up all important stuff while you still can.
S7 should still be under warranty...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d