[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Okay I'm the new brave person everybody has been waiting to see put their money and plan on the line. Here's what I just did.

I have 3 phones on my family plan. 1 is UDP, 1 is 2gb tier, 1 is a feature phone (ignore this entirely right now)
I transferred the upgrade from my UDP line to the 2gb tier line on verizonwireless.com
I bought a LG G3 from verizonwireless.com on the 2gb tier line on 8/29/2014.
I took the SIM card from my UDP line and put it in the LG G3 (same size thankfully)
Turned on the LG G3 with UDP SIM. Phone recognized the SIM and activated the device on its own with my UDP phone #.
I went to verizonwireless.com to my account. Account shows LG G3 activated on my UDP line and still shows UNLIMITED DATA
Contract on the UDP line has been extended by 2 years.

Not gonna lie I was nervous as all hell from reading this flamefest about what works and this and that and speculation running wild. Took a chance and it worked. I trusted the SIM card to do the magic people were already vouching for. Althought I was considering returning this to try BB method but I wanted to stay strong. I can provide more proof if the vast majority of you don't believe it otherwise here's my device with UDP intact as of tonight.

View attachment 135263

I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This is the BB thread and you should have posted on the Verizon thread.

kil187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This is the BB thread and you should have posted on the Verizon thread.

Actually, this is the Verizon subforum and the title is vague "Verizon: How to keep unlimited data and get phone on subsidized price"

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Okay I'm the new brave person everybody has been waiting to see put their money and plan on the line. Here's what I just did.

I have 3 phones on my family plan. 1 is UDP, 1 is 2gb tier, 1 is a feature phone (ignore this entirely right now)
I transferred the upgrade from my UDP line to the 2gb tier line on verizonwireless.com
I bought a LG G3 from verizonwireless.com on the 2gb tier line on 8/29/2014.
I took the SIM card from my UDP line and put it in the LG G3 (same size thankfully)
Turned on the LG G3 with UDP SIM. Phone recognized the SIM and activated the device on its own with my UDP phone #.
I went to verizonwireless.com to my account. Account shows LG G3 activated on my UDP line and still shows UNLIMITED DATA
Contract on the UDP line has been extended by 2 years.

Not gonna lie I was nervous as all hell from reading this flamefest about what works and this and that and speculation running wild. Took a chance and it worked. I trusted the SIM card to do the magic people were already vouching for. Althought I was considering returning this to try BB method but I wanted to stay strong. I can provide more proof if the vast majority of you don't believe it otherwise here's my device with UDP intact as of tonight.

View attachment 135263

Awesome news!! I have 3 Udp upgrades to use on the note 4 i6 etc :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

replica9000

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: Unlimited data Plan - How Much Longer?

I hope VZW doesn't axe the unlimited plan. I've already used over 25GB this month.

I have a couple friends who are VZW reps. They're lucky to get information the day before any changes take place.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to make an update.

A few days ago I used my upgrade to go from a Droid Razr Maxx 2 to the Moto X. I had previously been grandfathered in with the Unlimited Data plan, and never once had an issue upgrading. When I went to upgrade, I didn't get any notifications about switching plans or features, nor any "by clicking this you agree to blah-blahs" and when prompted to pick a new plan, I chose "I do not wish to switch plans at this time."

When I got my new phone in the mail, I activated it and checked "My Verizon," and they had switched me to the 2GB data plan without notifying me that they would. I called Verizon support, and the rep (who claimed to be a tier-2 employee) told me it was impossible for me to keep my UDP and upgrade my phone, because they do not offer it anymore with the new phones.

I WAS told that I could go to a Verizon store, reverse the upgrade, and they could restore my UDP to my old phone, but I would not be able to upgrade and keep my UDP, because for some "reason" that the rep couldn't explain, the new phones are "not compatible" with the UDP. This sounded like utter BS, and I'm pretty pissed that VZ would do that.

I was also told that after reverting the upgrade, I would "lose" my free upgrade.

Yeah this sounds about right sadly. They will not let you keep it and upgrade. The compatible thing is definitely not true .. they just don't want to discount a phone and let you keep your UDP.

If I was you I would return the device .. get your UDP plan back .. and buy the phone full price. This is one way to keep it without going through hassle or risk.

texasdmh

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

Unfortunately, the solution is to choose a new device which BB shows available for shipping

Posted via the Android Central App

BB only has the Copper s5 "available for shipping," but I just tried going thru the process and it now says that while keeping my current plan, I cannot have it shipped but must pick it up in-store.

texasdmh

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

So, at this point, Best Buy will not allow me to both keep my existing plan and order any s5 for delivery. So is that option essentially gone? Is there another place I can go that has worked as reliably as at BB?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Actually, this is the Verizon subforum and the title is vague "Verizon: How to keep unlimited data and get phone on subsidized price"

Yes I know, the other thread is titled the same with (instructions) in front of it. I know it's confusing but one thread, this one, is about the BB method and the other is about switching upgrades on Verizon's website.

See its already confusing and though he is trying to help when you put posts in the wrong thread it can get even more confusing.

jonson74

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

I got a question about ordering a phone from bestbuy and exchanging it for a iPhone when it comes out as I assume they wont be available for shipping right away. I know I would put the sim from my current phone into the phone that comes from bestbuy, but when i exchange it at the store would they activate the iPhone with the new sim that comes with it? IF so wouldn't that get me off unlimited?

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Has anyone had success in their orders going through to a different address than the billing address on the account? I'm the only user on my account and I live in NY, the account is in my stepdad's name and the bill is sent to him in NC, even though I do the payments on it. I am an authorized user to talk with verizon about the account, my phone is only used in NY and I know all the pertinent account information. Would I run into any trouble having the phone shipped to me in NY, not sure if anyone's orders have been placed on hold or anything as a result? Just in case I need to return the phone fast to keep unlimited data, i assume I only have 14 days from purchase, not receipt of the phone?

If you're talking about ordering through Verizon, it's not a problem. I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. You will have to put in a security code that is sent to a phone on the line (not a problem), then it will allow you to have a different shipping address than your billing address.

I still have my UDP, but I haven't had my contract extended yet. I charged the phone to the account, which I suspect may be the reason why. I would suggest paying for the phone then if VZW gives you this option, or you may find yourself uncertain if it worked after the return date.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

If I was you I would return the device .. get your UDP plan back .. and buy the phone full price. This is one way to keep it without going through hassle or risk.

The Best Buy method seems to be reliable enough that I would say it's worth trying before buying a phone at full price. It could save $400+ on a new phone.

seabass

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

I got a question about ordering a phone from bestbuy and exchanging it for a iPhone when it comes out as I assume they wont be available for shipping right away. I know I would put the sim from my current phone into the phone that comes from bestbuy, but when i exchange it at the store would they activate the iPhone with the new sim that comes with it? IF so wouldn't that get me off unlimited?

let me know how that goes. thinking about doing the same thing. From what I'm reading it might just be easier to go through apple.com if you are looking to get a iphone shipped to you, but who knows.

Last edited:

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Care about your unlimited plan? send a complaint to the FCC

Everyone with an UDP needs to do this.

Posted via the Android Central App

ii2334

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price.

Hey everyone, this might be a dumb question. But, I notice that there have been multiple threads about SIM cards and that's the only way to keep unlimited data. I would really like have the new iphone, but it was my understanding that iphones do not have physical SIM cards. So, if I wanted to keep unlimited data for my iphone, what is the best way to do it?

I have 2 iphones with unlimited data with upgrades, 1 with tiered, 2 dumb phones.

Any suggestions is much appreciated! I am trying to think about this in advance.

Thank you!!!

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Hey everyone, this might be a dumb question. But, I notice that there have been multiple threads about SIM cards and that's the only way to keep unlimited data. I would really like have the new iphone, but it was my understanding that iphones do not have physical SIM cards. So, if I wanted to keep unlimited data for my iphone, what is the best way to do it?

I have 2 iphones with unlimited data with upgrades, 1 with tiered, 2 dumb phones.

Any suggestions is much appreciated! I am trying to think about this in advance.

Thank you!!!

iPhones do have physical SIM cards. Nano sims.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Thank you!!!

Which iphone do you have btw??

amandax53

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

If you're talking about ordering through Verizon, it's not a problem. I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. You will have to put in a security code that is sent to a phone on the line (not a problem), then it will allow you to have a different shipping address than your billing address.

I still have my UDP, but I haven't had my contract extended yet. I charged the phone to the account, which I suspect may be the reason why. I would suggest paying for the phone then if VZW gives you this option, or you may find yourself uncertain if it worked after the return date.

There's no way to order it through verizon and pay an upgrade price (as opposed to the full price)--AND keep unlimited data, right? I've had no problem in the past ordering my phones and having them shipped separate to me before they eliminated the UDP. I have been attempting to complete the bestbuy method of this and have been experiencing some issues. I'm not sure if it was due to verizon systems, bestbuy's systems maybe out of the S5 (for shipping at least), or some of the questions they asked about the coverage zip (with a hint that you are to enter the zip code in which you use the phone in the most) and then they asked for the billing zip. I know both of them, but something wasn't working out; I'm just not sure which. I will do whatever works successfully, but the warnings about amazon and costco have kinda scared me. I have a single line UDP eligible for an upgrade.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays