[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

psho

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

So I have researched this a good bit...and would like to lay out my scenario to see if anyone has experienced a similar situation.

We have two smartphones (4S) through Verizon with the old Family Unlimited Data plan. We both have our available upgrades, but wish to keep our unlimited data. Here is what we plan to do:

- Add a new line to our account and purchase the Galaxy Note 3 at the lower price.
- Switch the Galaxy Note 3 from the new line to my current line (keeping my unlimited data)
- Transfer my wife's upgrade to the new line we just purchased
- Use that upgrade to buy another Galaxy Note 3 at the lower price
- Switch that Note 3 to my wife's line.
- Put a cheap flip phone (which I have at home) on the new 3rd line that we just bought...and switch the plan to just talk/text...which should be $9.99.

Anyone foresee any problems with this working? Has anyone tried this with sucess?

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

After activating online on the dumb line, how long one should wait before going to the next step, to be sure that activation actually "took" at Verizon? P.S. I guess I should've asked how that first activation can be verified?

Last edited:

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Ok. So another question..... I was going to choose to bill my account when I order my phone...Do you think doing that may complicate things with regard to switching the phone around?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Galaxia

May 24, 2013
Visit site

My girl at Verizon said new rule is you have to wait 24 hrs before switching numbers on new phones because of unlimited data fraud. Anyone know if this is true?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

My girl at Verizon said new rule is you have to wait 24 hrs before switching numbers on new phones because of unlimited data fraud. Anyone know if this is true?

I waited about 8 minutes total.

altjeff

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

I don't think this is true. I just did the switch today. I kept the new phone on the 2GB line for about 15 minutes. I made a call and sent a text to make sure it was activated and waited for the new phone to show up in MyVerizon. Then I switched it over to my unlimited line and now MyVerizon shows the new phone with unlimited data intact.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys. I got some great advice on this thread about ugrading both my wife's and my unlimited plans. I was going to knock her down to a 2 GB tiered since she doesn't use much data and then switch my upgrade to her line and have her activate it and deactivate it and then use it on my line keeping my unlimited in place. I called sales at Verizon online and they guy told me that I could just have my wife order the upgrade online and choose the 2GB tiered plan but when the phone arrives make sure that she doesn't activate it and I can take the phone and first activate it on my existing line and since she didn't activate it her plan won't change. Then when she wants to upgrade her line. I use my upgrade to order her ohone online and do the same thing. Choose the new 2GB tiered plan and when the phone arrives I make sure not to activate it on my line and just have her activate it on her line, thus my unlimited won't change since I never activated the phone on my line. Both lines contracts will extend for another two years but our unlimited data won't change since we never activated the new phones we ordered on the line we order the upgrade on. I asked him repeatedly if this would keep our unlimited plans in place and he assured me it would. I just want to check on this forum if this sounds correct and if anyone has ever tried this. It would be great if this worked since we would both get to keep our unlimited data.

cc1995: Did you ever go ahead and try this method you described? Did it work okay?

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Anyone try this using Comcast's deal? Get $100 prepaid card for buying a phone through "them", which looks like just some ghetto version of Verizon's online shop. I'm all for making an easy $100 on something I'm going to try anyway but I don't want to make a family member stuck with a smartphone they don't want because I somehow messed it up and didn't take the sure thing (going directly through Verizon).

Linky to the deal: http://www.comcast.com/wireless.html

Also, for what it's worth, I went to a Verizon corporate store today and the dude I talked to (just a guy who asks "What are you here for today?") said there wasn't any way to keep unlimited without buying a phone at full retail. I didn't feel like waiting in line to have a talk to someone at the desk, but he said it was due to their system, and he said that perhaps authorized retailers could, but he didn't really know. Currently not sure to give the Comcast route a try, talk to a hopefully competent employee at Verizon, or just do the whole damn thing online.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Anyone try this using Comcast's deal? Get $100 prepaid card for buying a phone through "them", which looks like just some ghetto version of Verizon's online shop. I'm all for making an easy $100 on something I'm going to try anyway but I don't want to make a family member stuck with a smartphone they don't want because I somehow messed it up and didn't take the sure thing (going directly through Verizon).

Linky to the deal: http://www.comcast.com/wireless.html

Also, for what it's worth, I went to a Verizon corporate store today and the dude I talked to (just a guy who asks "What are you here for today?") said there wasn't any way to keep unlimited without buying a phone at full retail. I didn't feel like waiting in line to have a talk to someone at the desk, but he said it was due to their system, and he said that perhaps authorized retailers could, but he didn't really know. Currently not sure to give the Comcast route a try, talk to a hopefully competent employee at Verizon, or just do the whole damn thing online.

I recommend to just do it online. Less likely to get spooked by misinformed Verizon CSR's or CSR's trying to pad their commissions by steering you in the wrong direction.

psho

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I called Verizon on 9/23/13 and talked to a guy that sounded....hip?...to this situation. He basically told me (whispered to me) over the phone that Verizon employees could lose their job if they tell you it's possible to upgrade and keep your unlimited data via loophole. I told him I understood, then I proceded to ask him if the individual loophole steps were possible...being carefule to use the word "hypothetically" many times. Basically...you can do it, you just have to find the right Verizon employee who isn't scared of losing their job.

jmd471

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

It worked perfectly! New Iphone 5S with unlimited data. Can't thank you all enough.

Hopefully I'll be able to say the same tonight. Anyone know if you can use wirefly to 'transfer' upgrade on the final phone? I have 2 unlimited smartphones, and 1 dumbphone. After I upgrade the 2 smartphones through verizon by transferring upgrades through the dumbphone....can I use wirefly to purchase my last dumbphone that will stay on that line? At that point I will have 1 upgrade eligle smartphone that I will have to transfer over to the dumbphones line in order to upgrade.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

No issues with wirefly as long as the device stays on the line is upgraded to for 6 months.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Verizon CEO: Unlimited data plans just aren't sustainable
"If you allow unlimited usage, you just run out of gas," says Verizon chief Lowell McAdam. Oh, and don't go looking for a price war anytime soon.

Verizon CEO: Unlimited data plans just aren't sustainable | Mobile - CNET News

If they take my unlimited data I'm leaving. Just hope T-mobile ramps up and improves 4G service, density soon.

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

If they take my unlimited data I'm leaving. Just hope T-mobile ramps up and improves 4G service, density soon.
Same here. Speed isn't really that big of a deal as long as it's not some horrendous 3G crap. It just sucks for Verizon customers, especially those who have been with them for a long time. My family has been with them since 1998, but that was back in the analog days and before that specific company got bought by/merged with Verizon. You'd really hope that a company people have spent upwards of $10k on would treat customers a little bit better. Nope. I hope they die a slow, painful death. Lose 80% of their customer base and then end up filing for bankruptcy. I'd dance on their grave.

WaddyPeytona

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

I'm trying to re-activate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line and it seems to be requiring me to pick a data plan. I'm getting: dumb activate.JPG
I thought reverting to previous no-data would be presented as an option?

MaverickJJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

Several forums have indicated three retailers will allow you to do this upgrade workaround without an additional penalty for taking your new device off the data plan: Costco, Best Buy, and the Verizon Store. Best Buy has the HTC One in a very spiffy anodized blue, on sale through Saturday for an amazing $49.99, even as an upgrade! I'm ready to pull that trigger and retire my Galaxy Nexus, which lately thinks things like Bluetooth, GPS and 4G are just suggestions.

Can anyone confirm that Best Buy will not charge an extra fee if the phone is immediately taken off the dumbphone line and put onto my unlimited number? Wirefly and several other retailers are clear that there will be an additional charge if it happens earlier than six months.

If you do confirm this, can you tell me how you found out?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Several forums have indicated three retailers will allow you to do this upgrade workaround without an additional penalty for taking your new device off the data plan: Costco, Best Buy, and the Verizon Store. Best Buy has the HTC One in a very spiffy anodized blue, on sale through Saturday for an amazing $49.99, even as an upgrade! I'm ready to pull that trigger and retire my Galaxy Nexus, which lately thinks things like Bluetooth, GPS and 4G are just suggestions.

Can anyone confirm that Best Buy will not charge an extra fee if the phone is immediately taken off the dumbphone line and put onto my unlimited number? Wirefly and several other retailers are clear that there will be an additional charge if it happens earlier than six months.

If you do confirm this, can you tell me how you found out?

This thread references BestBuy and Cosco and both being safe many times.

jmd471

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

I'm getting the same thing....when I go to reactivate the dumbphone on the line, it is asking me to select a data plan?? wtf?
I'm trying to re-activate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line and it seems to be requiring me to pick a data plan. I'm getting: View attachment 83062
I thought reverting to previous no-data would be presented as an option?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred