Interesting find on HTC incredible

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay, sorry everybody, i been a bit busy with some other things. But i just got around to posting on HTC's website forums to see what this port is, and also i just got off the phone with HTC and the guy told me he thinks the port IS in fact for an external antenna to be added. And the technical name for the port is an FME.

Ive never heard of that, so im gonna do some research right meow.

Be back later with research results. And then if i find out what i need im gonna buy an external antenna that i can fashion to this device. And hopefully be able to hide it beneath the battery cover backplate.

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
This is really exciting... and as it's been pointed out already, this is a GREAT opportunity for product development... anyone who has the resources to pump out a few batteries and battery covers that have room for the antenna could be making some decent $$...

Keep us posted, definitely checking in here a good bit, excited to hear what ya say!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
From the information you have given, an FME adapter typically hooks to an external antenna. They sell them for Motorola and Blackberry devices etc. Can't find anything on HTC so far, would be interesting but I don't see someone taking their back off their phone every time the need it to connect it, and I also don't see someone leaving it connected. Would be good if your phone stayed in the same spot however.

The battery + Antenna idea would be a cool idea for someone to make, would probably sell good to the people with bad reception.

Kerensky97

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think HTC puts an external antenna connector on all their phones. Of the 4 HTC phones I've had 4 have had external connectors (the last 2 hid them under the battery cover which doesn't make sense unless it's for testing).

My bedroom is also in a basement so I needed a better connection down there. Phone calls were fine but my battery was going dry trying to make the 3G connection.

So I just put in a wifi access point.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah WiFi AP will help you on the 3G connectivity draining your battery, not to mention much faster internet access. I'm starting to ponder what applications this could be used for.

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Here is the response i got back from HTC...I replied because they didnt really answer my question to what that port on the motherboard really is.

Hello *Threepio*,

I understand your interest in this mysterious rubber plug. After examining the plug, it seems like it was simply a design decision made in the process of creating the device. While removing it does allow access to a small part of the motherboard, it is unlikely that it was put there simply for that easy access as any operation that would require access to the motherboard would need more access than that. There seems to be no reason for it except design purposes; the rubber plug is a bit more interesting than a flat piece of plastic in that location. I apologize that it was nothing more interesting than that, but I thank you for the fun question. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us again. You can find additional support at support forums at community.htc.com. There is also a customer satisfaction survey for you to take if you are interested.

Philip HTC Technical Support HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs HTC (htc) on Twitter