iPhone User, Thinking of crossing over

BrandonJay21

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
A lot of the outdoor shots and macro shots I've seen have been beautiful. I notice sometimes the outdoor shots don't show off the blue sky the way of like (could be a tap to focus thing or maybe HDR setting would help).

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
A lot of the outdoor shots and macro shots I've seen have been beautiful. I notice sometimes the outdoor shots don't show off the blue sky the way of like (could be a tap to focus thing or maybe HDR setting would help).

I get that a lot with my M8. Even when you tap to focus on the sky it gets the sky correctly but your landscape gets very dark. I get mixed results with HDR in those situations, sometimes sky is still not blue or too bright. Outside of that I think indoor and macro shots are on par with iphone.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Well as far as the blue skies go, some shots I have show blue skies and some show them a little greyed out for me. Not sure exactly how you like them to look, however. I'm guessing blue...

Another thing about the camera I'd like to point out are the after affects you can apply such as ufocus. It allows you to refocus an image and it does it pretty well most of the time. I've never ever tampered with pictures after the fact before. But with this phone I find myself messing with the editing features quite often now, and I've been able to create some fun, interesting, and good looking pictures from it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
No brainer. Switch!

I switched from an iPhone 5 to note 3 a few months ago and love it!

Convinced a friend to go from iPhone 4s to the new galaxy S5, he was hesitant at first but now he said he loves the S5

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Blah blah blah Apple sucks blah blah blah iPhone fanboys blah blah blah

Real nerds don't actually care about that stuff. If it weren't for Apple I'd still be rocking Windows Mobile (still an HTC though) and Android wouldn't be nearly as refined as it is so I'm glad they do things the way they do. It's not my cup of coffee, but it is needed. The two things I think iPhone converts are going to flip for are the screen and the speakers. I know Apple has a good speaker setup but nothing comes close to the One. The M7 or the M8. And the screen is ridiculous. The GS5 and the LG G2 are great screens too. Most of the Android flagships kill in that area. Its not the size, but the size coupled with the resolution. If you had the 16GB iPhone then 32GB and expandable storage to 128GB will spoil you too.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

BrandonJay21

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Blah blah blah Apple sucks blah blah blah iPhone fanboys blah blah blah

Real nerds don't acfually care about that stuff. If it weren't for Apple I'd still be rocking Windows Mobile (still an HTC though) and Android wouldn't be nearly as refined as it is so I'm glad they do things the way they do. It's not my cup of coffee, but it is needed. The two things I think iPhone converts are going to flip for are the screen and the speakers. I know Apple has a good speaker setup but nothing comes close to the One. The M7 or the M8. And the screen is ridiculous. The GS5 and the LG G2 are great screens too. Most of the Android flagships kill in that area. Its not the size, but the size coupled with the resolution. If you had the 16GB iPhone then 32GB and expandable storage to 128GB will spoil you too.

I'm definitely interested in the speakers.

And, yup, I have a 16 gig. It'll be amazing not having to keep all my photos and music on the amazon cloud to make room for apps. I love their cloud player, but I would need as much data of I had more room for music on my phone.

I love the swipe functions to turn on the screen. The one thing I really don't like about the iPhones I've had are the wear and tear on the physical buttons. My 4's home button stopped working, and my partner's power button stopped. Sure we had assistive touch, but it was obnoxious.

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I love the fact that we have some former iPhone users who have switched and are here giving honest opinions on the subject. I've been so tired of the smartphone wars, the best smartphone will always be the one that is best for you.

Ice

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I was also a longtime iPhone user who tried unsuccessfully to make the switch. I would manage a few months, but always went back to iPhone because the day-to-day frustration of Android overcame the features advantage of android. The HTC One M8 has changed all that. It's the first Android that both hardware AND software are more than a match for iPhone.

The cons:
Size. If you aren't ready for a big phone, or do a lot of one handed texting, you may not like the big form factor.
I Message . Most iPhone users are in the iMesage ecosystem and breaking up is hard to do. What's App is nice here
iTunes. Get the Google music uploader and then use Google play music.
Siri. Google voice is good for searching the web for data, but stinks at controlling your phone. Want your texts to be read to you while driving? tough. Get a 3rd party app that is a pain.
Find my friends. The closest thing is a n app like life 360, but it won't give a real time location reliably like the iPhone does.
The camera. It isn't as reliable as the iPhone, you have to help it get the exposure right by manually tapping the part of the scene you want it to meter. IPhone nails more shots with less intervention
Rebuy a lot of your apps. For me the app cost was less than $25

Neutral.
iCloud will turn into Google services. Fairly similar in a lot of ways, but different.
Lighting cables. Lighting cables can easily be plugged in without looking but USB cables are easier to find.
Speed. Both phones are super fast and fluid

The good:
HTC looks fantastic.
BoomSound.
Call quality is much better on HTC. almost as good as a landline
Screen is gorgeous and so much better for web surfing because it is so much larger
IR emitter and universal remote app works really well
Notification center is better than iOS
Battery life is superior on the HTC
Sense 6 looks like what iOS 7 should have looked like. Sense 6 is really, really nice
Much better selfie camera
Far more control over what happens on the phone and more information about the phone (battery manager, data manager, memory manager, etc)
I prefer the Google play music app to iTunes

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I was also a longtime iPhone user who tried unsuccessfully to make the switch. I would manage a few months, but always went back to iPhone because the day-to-day frustration of Android overcame the features advantage of android. The HTC One M8 has changed all that. It's the first Android that both hardware AND software are more than a match for iPhone.

The cons:
Size. If you aren't ready for a big phone, or do a lot of one handed texting, you may not like the big form factor.
I Message . Most iPhone users are in the iMesage ecosystem and breaking up is hard to do. What's App is nice here
iTunes. Get the Google music uploader and then use Google play music.
Siri. Google voice is good for searching the web for data, but stinks at controlling your phone. Want your texts to be read to you while driving? tough. Get a 3rd party app that is a pain.
Find my friends. The closest thing is a n app like life 360, but it won't give a real time location reliably like the iPhone does.
The camera. It isn't as reliable as the iPhone, you have to help it get the exposure right by manually tapping the part of the scene you want it to meter. IPhone nails more shots with less intervention
Rebuy a lot of your apps. For me the app cost was less than $25

Neutral.
iCloud will turn into Google services. Fairly similar in a lot of ways, but different.
Lighting cables. Lighting cables can easily be plugged in without looking but USB cables are easier to find.
Speed. Both phones are super fast and fluid

The good:
HTC looks fantastic.
BoomSound.
Call quality is much better on HTC. almost as good as a landline
Screen is gorgeous and so much better for web surfing because it is so much larger
IR emitter and universal remote app works really well
Notification center is better than iOS
Battery life is superior on the HTC
Sense 6 looks like what iOS 7 should have looked like. Sense 6 is really, really nice
Much better selfie camera
Far more control over what happens on the phone and more information about the phone (battery manager, data manager, memory manager, etc)
I prefer the Google play music app to iTunes

Just curious, what can't you get Google search to control on the phone for you?

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, what can't you get Google search to control on the phone for you?

Try this. Ask Google to Play one of your playlists. Most of the time, you get a web search instead of music. Ask Google to read you your new text messages. You will always get a web search instead. Ask Google to turn on Bluetooth. Get a web search.

With Siri, it's completely possible to carry on a text message conversation without ever looking at the phone. Unless a 3rd part app like Robin is installed, HTC cannot do the same.

Google is getting better though...

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Try this. Ask Google to Play one of your playlists. Most of the time, you get a web search instead of music. Ask Google to read you your new text messages. You will always get a web search instead. Ask Google to turn on Bluetooth. Get a web search.

With Siri, it's completely possible to carry on a text message conversation without ever looking at the phone. Unless a 3rd part app like Robin is installed, HTC cannot do the same.

Ah OK. I'm sure there are things like that you'd have to get used to. But I agree, I wish Google will update it to control more things like that.

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been a long time iphone user and for the last year have switched back and forth between iphone and android. I don't get it when iMessage is an issue. Most people have unlimited text now.

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site

People like to trash on Siri but she actually works really well. In my opinion. I use her a lot to send text and that is one of the things that annoys me with android. You can send text by voice with android but after you tell your phone to whom the text is going to and your message, you have to look down and press a button for it to send. With Siri, you can vocally tell her to send it without touching the screen.

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
People like to trash on Siri but she actually works really well. In my opinion. I use her a lot to send text and that is one of the things that annoys me with android. You can send text by voice with android but after you tell your phone to whom the text is going to and your message, you have to look down and press a button for it to send. With Siri, you can vocally tell her to send it without touching the screen.

I didn't like Siri. I don't like talking to my phone, either Google or Apple.

I really like how Google Now aggregates my calendars, tracking, weather, shows nearby events, etc. Really nice feature, and a good widget to have.

Harime

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I have both a HTC One M8 (personal phone) and an iPhone 5S (company phone).

I will try to do a brief comparison amongst the main features.

Screen: The HTC One M8 wins, no doubt. Bigger, better, 1080p, much nicer to read news on it.

Battery: Without hesitation, HTC One M8 wins. I can get average a day and a half with one charge, while the iPhone has to be charged every day.

Build quality: Both are really nice, the metal unibody of the HTC is gorgeous, but the iPhone is very slim and well designed as well. It's a draw.

Sound: HTC One M8 wins, calls sound better and the stereo speakers blow away the iPhone. HTC wins.

Ecosystem: In my opinion, iOS is still ahead of Android in the quality of the apps and the variety, the iPhone 5S wins.

Speed: Both phones are blazing fast without lag, it's a draw.

Camera: The iPhone 5S takes amazing pictures, really good ones for a smartphone. The HTC One M8 takes good pictures, but not as good as the iPhone. It is very cool to play around with the effects and the possibilities of the second depth camera, though. iPhone wins.

OS & Features: I would say the HTC wins with Sense 6 over iOS 7. Blinkfeed is very nice, tap to wake is extremely useful, the fact that you have a micro SD slot and can expand the storage wins over the poor customization and expansion of the iPhone. However, Siri wins over anything Google can offer at the moment. In general HTC wins.

I just took these 2 pictures so you can see the difference.

HTC One M8

HTC 2014-04-16 16.05.14.jpg

iPhone 5S

5S 2014-04-16 16.04.36.jpg

The image is sharper on the iPhone 5S, but the picture of the HTC is still very nice. Both pictures were focused at the Android toy.

I use more often the HTC than the iPhone, but both are great phones.

I hope this helped!

Last edited:

BrandonJay21

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I really like Siri to set up appts, reminders, and my grocery list. That's about all I use it for, but it's been useful.

I'm excited to eventually try this phone out. Like I said, my contract isn't up for a while, but once I get something in my head I obsess about getting more information.

I've really been using Flipboard a lot on my phone lately, so I am excited for Sense. I think it will work well for what I want.

Does anyone have a podcast app they like? My one want is for my app to be able to skip ahead 15, 30, 120 seconds like Downcast does for iOS. Other than that, it looks like all my major apps have an android counterpart. Yay!

With the htc advantage program, I think I'm going to try caseless... At least for the first 6 months. ;) is the phone really that slippery??

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I really like Siri to set up appts, reminders, and my grocery list. That's about all I use it for, but it's been useful.

I'm excited to eventually try this phone out. Like I said, my contract isn't up for a while, but once I get something in my head I obsess about getting more information.

I've really been using Flipboard a lot on my phone lately, so I am excited for Sense. I think it will work well for what I want.

Does anyone have a podcast app they like? My one want is for my app to be able to skip ahead 15, 30, 120 seconds like Downcast does for iOS. Other than that, it looks like all my major apps have an android counterpart. Yay!

With the htc advantage program, I think I'm going to try caseless... At least for the first 6 months. ;) is the phone really that slippery??

Google now handles reminders very well. I'm not sure about grocery lists or appointments but I do use Google keep for my grocery lists, and a bunch of other stuff.

And the gunmetal grey is pretty slippery to be honest. And its a large, heavy phone, so that doesn't help with that.

Chase Nelson1

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I switched from a Verizon iPhone to the M8 and I am completely satisfied. People have already made a ton of good points

The one thing I wanted to mention that drives me CRAZY... is how it handles MMS compared to iPhone. I think this might be a Verizon thing but man sending a video to someone is damn near impossible unless you knock the quality so low you can't even tell what it is. If I take a sweet video, I wanna send it as good quality. I've also had a few problems with pictures as well where they just don't even go through. This is a minor thing since you can use other apps like hangouts, but this is what makes me the most angry

But again. Don't hesitate to switch. You will love it

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The one thing I wanted to mention that drives me CRAZY... is how it handles MMS compared to iPhone. I think this might be a Verizon thing but man sending a video to someone is damn near impossible unless you knock the quality so low you can't even tell what it is. If I take a sweet video, I wanna send it as good quality.

Just upload your video to Google+ or Dropbox and send a link rather than the video itself.

jvmirante

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Switched from IOS about 4 weeks ago to the M8. The only thing I have missed is visual voicemail which I can get if I want to pay verizon another $3 / month, which i will not. Other than that, I have been able to configure the phone to do all the things I had my iphone doing, and more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abhishek397