Is an HDX owner willing to test?

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an HD 8.9 and am very tempted to upgrade. One of the things giving me pause is I've been playing with a handwriting recognition app that replaces the keyboard. (I'm handwriting this post on my fire.)

The app is currently free at the google play store. I have no affiliation with the developer. It is MyScript Stylus (beta). I sideloaded it onto my HD 8.9, and I was able to select it as the keyboard. It works surprisingly well when writing with a finger, but I find that tricky... I got a fire point stylus - the musemee Notier V2, and I love the combination. I highly recommend trying the pair if you've ever lusted after any of the Samsung Note devices - that's what led me down this path. I know it's not the same, but it's surprisingly good - and my penmanship is pretty bad.

I'm afraid my newly found favorite input method might not work on the HDX with the new OS. If any HDX owners want to try it, I'd love to know if it works. On my fire it showed up as one of the selectable keyboard languages.

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I got an 8.9 HDX this morning and I'd be willing to test it out for you. It will have to be later tonight when I get home from work though.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Did your HDX come with the 3.1 update already installed? I don't know how fast they are pushing it out. I know it can be manually updated...

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Did your HDX come with the 3.1 update already installed? I don't know how fast they are pushing it out. I know it can be manually updated...

It's showing 3.0.5. I checked for an update and nothing came in but I'll try again when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to give you a quick update. I couldn't get the MyScript Stylus Beta to work on 3.0.5 but it does work on 3.1. On 3.0.5 it just wouldn't show up as an option to select. I don't know if I'm doing something different now but I uninstalled it and reinstalled it just to make sure and it worked just as easily.

Speaking of 3.1 when I got home from work tonight my update came in and installed easily. I'll have to reread the release notes again but I'm not noticing anything different from 3.0.5 so far.

I hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
That helps a bunch. I really appreciate it. I'm probably going to break down and order in the next couple of days.

LazarX

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I got an 8.9 HDX this morning and I'd be willing to test it out for you. It will have to be later tonight when I get home from work though.

Note that it is a Google Play Store app, which means you need to have the unit rooted and running Google play store first. I don't think there is a root out yet for the new HDXs which would be running Fire 4.0 OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ijulnesia