Is anyone else underwhelmed by the 5?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the Pixel 2 with the Camera 4 port, so the 5 didn't even underwhelm me. I'll be waiting for the 6 (and going 10 months without an update - December will be the last one).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the Pixel 2 with the Camera 4 port, so the 5 didn't even underwhelm me. I'll be waiting for the 6 (and going 10 months without an update - December will be the last one).

I love that you are still using your Pixel 2! I miss mine at times, but my brother is enjoying it! He used iPhone for work and the Pixel as his personal driver. A pretty good setup.

billythewhizz

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I received my Pixel 5 on release day and my initial feelings were that it's a great little phone. The camera was everything you expect from a pixel. However as the days went on I found I was starting to dislike the size {too small} and build quality. Pics started appearing online of the screen lift and although mine wasn't suffering from that problem it was gathering dust around the edge which was difficult to remove. There were problems with running another launcher especially Nova which is my favourite. . Then the OnePlus 8t was released. That was it for me. I've binned the P5 and am now the proud owner of an 8t. Much better phone and cheaper too. I still have my 3xl which is slowly getting the P5 features so no loss. Google needs to do better. With luck the P5 pro rumours are true and it will be everything the P5 isn't.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I received my Pixel 5 on release day and my initial feelings were that it's a great little phone. The camera was everything you expect from a pixel. However as the days went on I found I was starting to dislike the size {too small} and build quality. Pics started appearing online of the screen lift and although mine wasn't suffering from that problem it was gathering dust around the edge which was difficult to remove. There were problems with running another launcher especially Nova which is my favourite. . Then the OnePlus 8t was released. That was it for me. I've binned the P5 and am now the proud owner of an 8t. Much better phone and cheaper too. I still have my 3xl which is slowly getting the P5 features so no loss. Google needs to do better. With luck the P5 pro rumours are true and it will be everything the P5 isn't.

Pixel 5xl or Pixel 5 pro, whatever they will call it. That's what I'm waiting for.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
1st 2 things I noticed when setting up the P5 were the weight and battery usage - it is lighter than the P4 and took hardly any battery usage to complete set up - after having it for 12 hours I can honestly say I am happy with the P5 so far.

It will go on the Pixel stand and night and come off in the morning all previous Pixels have.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah alittke semi disappointed but at the same time.it does run really well so I do have to give google slot of credit for building a mostly solid device

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
If I didn't have the Pixel 4XL, I would be all over the Pixel 5. I like everything about it outside of the sage green color. I would have to go with just black. I think that people make too much out of the processor. I could definitely use it. My work phone is a Moto G7 Power and that processor works just fine.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, it's better than the colossal flop that was the Pixel 4/4 XL. A phone so bad Google had to roll back features they introduced to the Pixel lineup and were saying at P4's reveal that they'd be features that would be part of the Pixel hardware in future. Oops, the very next year they get scrapped. Android Central called the phone a flop, MKBHD called it the bust of the year -> so Google going in a different direction this year is a smart move.

It's not a high-end flagship. Maybe Google have woken up and realised consumers don't want to pay more for less, so they've dropped out of the high-end market. If you go just on specs, yes there are better products out on the market at that price point, like the Galaxy S20 Fan Edition. But on a whole, the Pixel 5 looks like a decent enough phone for a somewhat reasonable price.

Is it underwhelming? Well it doesn't do anything to push the needle on phones, so I guess that could be underwhelming, but then again it's not a a $900+ phone, so you can't expect some bleeding edge features.

OP if you're not impressed, then don't part with your money. Only buy a product that you're happy with. Yeah your Pixel 3XL can get upgraded, but if the Pixel 5 or any other phone on the market isn't compelling you, then keep the money and spend it on a phone that you really want imo. The Pixel 3XL will still get the next android update and security patches, so it should be fine for another year.
The 4 XL is a fine phone. Hard to go from this to a 5.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The 4 XL is a fine phone. Hard to go from this to a 5.

You're right - I retract that statement. The Pixel 5 is worse than the Pixel 4/4XL. I made that (erroneous) statement before I had even used the Pixel 5.

Now having it for a full month - considering it's price, it's the worst Pixel phone Google have made. There are so many cuts made in terms of parts, that it negatively affects the user experience. I thought Google moving down to a $700 price point was smart, but I didn't think that the corners cut would be so drastic.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You're right - I retract that statement. The Pixel 5 is worse than the Pixel 4/4XL. I made that (erroneous) statement before I had even used the Pixel 5.

Now having it for a full month - considering it's price, it's the worst Pixel phone Google have made. There are so many cuts made in terms of parts, that it negatively affects the user experience. I thought Google moving down to a $700 price point was smart, but I didn't think that the corners cut would be so drastic.

Can you explain what cuts and how it affects the user experience? I agree with you but was wondering if you could be more specific. Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't think so....one time my Mother-in-Law got money back on a free dinner. There's always one that will find fault in everything.
It's impossible to make everyone happy, they have plenty of Android phones for that , find the right one for you .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salpha