Is everyone not understanding the value in the Pixels pricing?

sherretz

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Funny you say software is the focus when it won't be updated beyond 2 years. If software was truly the focus they would have announced a revolutionary feature - 4 years of OS updates.

This is 100% why I'm not buying a Pixel. If Google wants to charge the same as an iPhone, and are pushing software hard, they need to support their devices for the same amount of time as Apple does.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes the software is amazing, but this will be available soon on all the other android phones soon. So the only thing you are missing is the camera, i think LG phones have a pretty good camera. i don't really care about 24/7 help. everything is available if you search for it. So the BEST camera and 24/7 is not worth the price tag.
That may not be true. Google assistant may stay on the Pixel only.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I'd use the word "value" but they're pricing it based on the market. I still think it's not the best idea because it's a brand new series of devices. Pixel doesn't have the brand recognition or market share as the Note series, Galaxy series or iPhones. They should undercut the market on the first-gen to build up a customer base, then raise it up to match the market price in following models.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
That may not be true. Google assistant may stay on the Pixel only.

Honestly I doubt this. Google is, first and foremost, an information company. Info about their users drives their core businesses. Google Assistant is the pinnacle of info gathering and usage. They would be insane to limit it to just the Pixel - which, despite their show yesterday, will be a niche device compared to iPhones and Samsung Galaxies.

I fully expect Assistant to come to other phones. Not right away, but within the next six to nine months (meaning next year's flagships). Within a year it will be a core feature of Android. That's what my crystal ball tells me, anyway.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I doubt this. Google is, first and foremost, an information company. Info about their users drives their core businesses. Google Assistant is the pinnacle of info gathering and usage. They would be insane to limit it to just the Pixel - which, despite their show yesterday, will be a niche device compared to iPhones and Samsung Galaxies.

I fully expect Assistant to come to other phones. Not right away, but within the next six to nine months (meaning next year's flagships). Within a year it will be a core feature of Android. That's what my crystal ball tells me, anyway.

We shall see.

NexusShark

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It's been stated several times that Google Assistant is pixel software and not stock Android software. It won't be showing up on previous phones. The phone has not been marketed yet and won't be marketed towards the small niche Nexus users (which Google was losing money on because of the low price). They are looking to attract the basic iPhone/Galaxy user. Will their marketing work? Time will tell. But this phone was not meant to be focused on the needs of the smaller tech based community.

elfuego

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
My prediction is that this whole thing is going to bomb in a big way for google. The pricing is way off, the hardware is quite uninspiring, and you can talk up google assistant all you want but the bottom line is that this is "Google now" in a different dress.

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Here's what I understand: Most of the price increase (over Nexus phones) will be going in Verizon's pocket. A bunch will be paying for the advertising blitz that will undoubtedly begin soon. Some will cover the enhanced customer support (that I would probably never use).

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
My only problem with the pixel is lack of water resistant. The device does indeed look premium. If the camera is really as good as it is, I may be tempted to splurge on it

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, but I think the real question is, what do lose? The iPhones and Galaxies all cost about the same right? Maybe there are some discounts to be had by the carriers, but when I looked at the iPhone, it looked like you were paying for the whole cost anyhow. So it comes down to what you actually want. For me, I have been down the Galaxy road, didn't like it. Been down the Apple road too, actually did like it, but like the google apps and philosophy better. There is a good chance this phone will be something really good, I'm willing to take that gamble and check it out. If you are simply going on pricing and comparing it to the best, it is on par. Let's just hope that the hardware is also on par. To be honest, I will not be happy unless it compare favorably to the Iphone in overall performance.
The problem is no other phone will have the gurantee of quick software updates

VitaminA

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Paraphrased quote from a lot of people: "The Pixel phones don't justify the price tag."

Translation: "I don't want to spend that much on any phone. If it had every single feature I wanted, I'd still want it to be $400."

Having said that, I personally can't justify spending this much on any phone. But I'm not going to complain about it, because that's the market value of this level of phones right now.

dushy4

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
What if OnePlus releases oneplus 4 at half the price? More or less Same feature except Google assistant....
How can it justify the high price

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
What if OnePlus releases oneplus 4 at half the price? More or less Same feature except Google assistant....
How can it justify the high price

What if Samsung announces an S8 next year at $849?

One Plus is a nice phone but I would NOT compare it to the Pixel...

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
We shall see.
He's right. Your wishful thinking is clouding your judgement.

Google assistant will make it's way to Android, iOS, and even the regular browser search engine.

Google assistant is not going to sell phones. However the data it will collect from users on multiple platforms will add to Google's bottom line.

I honestly don't see how anyone can be confused about this, it's basic common sense.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well if they have 24 hour live support I guess that ends the price debate.

If its so simple and refined, I'm not quite sure what could possibly go wrong that 24/7 live support needs to exist. I guess it appeals to the less tech savvy people, that help is always available, but help with what? The thing is supposed to update itself, be super efficient and have an assistant.