Is it possible to install Google vanilla Android (Nexus OS) to S4, HTC One, & Sony Z?

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now that we see that Google is also selling Samsung S4, HTC One, and Sony Z with Google own Nexus OS, i am just wondering if I buy these phones from AT&T, would I be able to install the Google OS onto these phones?

One reason that is holding me back from buying Android phones is the bloatwares. I have Galaxy S Captivate, and the bloatwares irritate me. I also own Galaxy Tab 2. While the bloatware is minimal on the Tab 2 vs Captivate, but I am still somewhat irritated me as I am not able to completely delete them (only disable).

I own iPhone 5 and just bought Blackberry Z10. Both phones do not have bloatwares on their OS, which I like. Sure, Z10 has some AT&T stuff on it, but these are mostly just shortcut icons (not programs).

I hate bloatwares to the core. When I buy new laptops, I always spend some time to completely wipe the HD and reinstall new fresh copy of Windows.

You may think, why don't I just buy Nexus or these phones straight from Google? Well, it's because I prefer to buy contract phone with reduced price vs buying it outright, it's my preference.

Now I want to buy the Sony Z as it's a waterproof phone, so I want to use Sony when I am traveling on vacation/holiday, but if I can not get rid of the bloatwares, then I may never buy Android phones ever.

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
You can root and get rid of all bloatware from any phone. Just need titanium backup

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You can root and get rid of all bloatware from any phone. Just need titanium backup

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

You forgot to mention a custom recovery, as it's a crucial element when it comes to flashing custom firmware.

Posted via Android Central App

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What I meant was if there is a ROM from google so if I buy phones from AT&T and I want Google flavor, I can just flash it, without going to root and other process. Since these phones are also sold by GPlay, I assume there must be a ROM to just flash it.

Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What I meant was if there is a ROM from google so if I buy phones from AT&T and I want Google flavor, I can just flash it, without going to root and other process. Since these phones are also sold by GPlay, I assume there must be a ROM to just flash it.

Thanks.

You are right, you can but the ROM won't be from Google, and rooting is required. You need to root to flash a custom recovery, which is needed to flash a ROM.
However, you can disable bloatware in Android 4.0 and above. It is still on the device, but it won't be shown nor taking up RAM. You can do this on your Tab 2. Go to Settings>Application Manager Swipe over to all apps, and scroll down to whatever bloat program is there. Say Yahoo, click on it, and you will see the app info screen. You will see 2 buttons; Force Stop and Disable/Uninstall Updates. Uninstall updates needs to be done before any disabling. Click Disable, and it will be off the drawer, and not taking RAM.
Also, once you are at this screen you should see a checked box that says show notifications. You can disable notifications of many apps using this process.

Last edited:

ofteno

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Whats the point of getting an S4 "google edition" if that eliminates all the selling points of such phone?

You can root almost any phone and get rid of the bloatware rather easily

Sent from Holy Terra on a paranoid nexus 4

barnet2010

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
There is a ROM from SuperNexus that I just used. I flashed 4.2.2 onto my Galaxy S3 and did not require rooting my phone. I was able to keep all my programs. I did not have to wipe my phone. I have an International I9300. This ROM was only made for the I9300. The US Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Note 2 will get 4.2.2 closer to the 3rd quarter of the year. Go to TalkAndroid for the article. Also on June 26th the S4 is coming out with pure Nexus on it. Go to Google Plus for the article.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
huangsenyuan