Is my battery faulty?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It's kind of crept up on my but the battery life on my note 8 is awful. Maybe oreo has something to do with it I'm not sure but I've tried factory reset twice without success. And so last weekend I installed the firmware completely fresh from sammobile to start again. But it's still terrible even 6 days on.

For example today is a typical day and after 10 hours off charge I was at 30% battery with just 2 hours screen on time. I typically have to turn on battery saver on the way home from work and have to charge as soon as I get home. When I first got the phone I could get through a full day.

My battery stats screen does not show anything interesting. Screen is at the top with device idle normally second and always on display high up the list too. I think the idle battery drain is really high but I don't know why. I wonder if the battery is just prematurely degraded? Or is there anything I've forgotten to shut off that might be draining things? I've switched of location history.

Any help appreciated. I don't really want to have to send it away for a new battery. If I contact Samsung does anyone know if they can run tests remotely to check the battery health?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen is the highest user of battery. Location, unless it's called for by an app, uses almost nothing. Charging the battery to 100% and discharging it to 30% is pushing it a bit much, and can lead to premature failure - it's best to keep it between 40% and 80%. Just before you charge it, at 40%, take a screen shot of the battery page showing the graph (tap the battery to get to it). To post a screen shot, see How To Post Screenshots on Android Central.

Last edited:

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Lower than 40% but this is a typical bad day. Had to use battery saver for a bit and charger for a short time just to get through the day

Attachments

• 967.jpg
    967.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 44

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's kind of crept up on my but the battery life on my note 8 is awful. Maybe oreo has something to do with it I'm not sure but I've tried factory reset twice without success. And so last weekend I installed the firmware completely fresh from sammobile to start again. But it's still terrible even 6 days on.

For example today is a typical day and after 10 hours off charge I was at 30% battery with just 2 hours screen on time. I typically have to turn on battery saver on the way home from work and have to charge as soon as I get home. When I first got the phone I could get through a full day.

My battery stats screen does not show anything interesting. Screen is at the top with device idle normally second and always on display high up the list too. I think the idle battery drain is really high but I don't know why. I wonder if the battery is just prematurely degraded? Or is there anything I've forgotten to shut off that might be draining things? I've switched of location history.

Any help appreciated. I don't really want to have to send it away for a new battery. If I contact Samsung does anyone know if they can run tests remotely to check the battery health?

Thanks!

Turn off background data and background activity for facebook and instagram. And as for location, just turn off Bluetooth scanning. On my Note 8 they were the culprit. Battery lasts way longer now.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder about Facebook background. I used to have that switched off but forgot about it after factory reset. I've switched it off again now.

Today I haven't used my phone really at all, just 31 minutes screen on time. Still it's used 60% of the battery through the day which seems a lot to me. Is this normal? Almost 4% per hour mostly on standby

Attachments

• 974.jpg
    974.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 27