Is the corner-cutting this time around too much for you?

Matías, have we sinned?

• Total voters

asherN

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Not likely until we see a lot more dockable devices using it. I think it's a fail on Google's part to not offer a dock. If you are going to deviate from standard that much, make sure it's properly supported.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I remember when the N4 came out with wireless charging... and google didnt release their wireless charger for a long time afterwards.. the same sort of questions were asked and people were scrambling to find compatible wireless chargers of every kind.

asherN

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
But the N4 had a standard USB port you could use. Qi was just an added bonus. Seeing as the target audience for the N5X is largely current N4 and N5 owners, they have removed a feature we have come to use AND combined with a non-standard connector.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
But the N4 had a standard USB port you could use. Qi was just an added bonus. Seeing as the target audience for the N5X is largely current N4 and N5 owners, they have removed a feature we have come to use AND combined with a non-standard connector.

And replaced it with the ability to charge the battery much faster. Given the choice to have any of the 3, I'm going to pick fast charging every time.

asherN

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
That is highly dependent on usage pattern. I usually get a full day on my N5 and charge overnight. So whether it charges back in 1 or 5 hours does not really matter. offering an upright dock would have gone a long way to quiet the complaints.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Remember the USB standard long before the N4 USB connector, the USB Mini-b? I'm sure there were complaints when that wasnt included in new devices too. Fact of the matter is that standards change all the time. This USB C will soon be the new standard.

I get it though, everyone who invested a bunch of money in chargers are feeling ripped off. Such is the way of technological advancements. You got to keep on top of it not to be burned, always.

asherN

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
From EverDock, regarding USB-C

We currently don't have a great solution for the USB C connector but are looking into options as to what we could do to support it. In the meantime, if you can get us your USB C connector, we can custom 3D print adapters for it. That may be our best solution since the housing on the different USB C connectors will all be different. In the future we'll probably include a micro USB C cable in the EverDock but right now USB C phones make up a very small percentage of the market.

And that "very small percentage" comment is why we won't see a lot of docks available.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah - it's new to be sure - gonna take a while for some of these peripheral guys to catch up and the good ones will soon be ready compared to the ones with bad foresight. It's also the standard for the new Macbook.

Just have to remind everyone of the N4 and the Qi charger - it was also brand spankin new and everyone had to wait for peripheral companies to catch up.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
That is highly dependent on usage pattern. I usually get a full day on my N5 and charge overnight. So whether it charges back in 1 or 5 hours does not really matter. offering an upright dock would have gone a long way to quiet the complaints.

If I'm Google and I'm trying to keep cost down to offer this at that price point, wireless charging is easily going to be on my chopping block. Samsung has been the only one so far that's introduced fast wireless charging and while it's not a useless technology on the whole, it's not so widespread and essential at this point that you have to include it when you're trying to build an inexpensive device.