P4 5g vs P5 or wait for P6?

As of 7/4/21, get the P4 5g, P5 or wait for P6?

• Total voters

hawk45

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
My LG G6 is really starting to leg and battery life is waning, so looking to step up to a 5g phone as I am in 5g area now. Been a LG user for past 6 years, since they closed down their phone division I'm looking for a new company. I was always a fan of the LG's b/c they were pretty close to stock Android (don't want all that Samsung skin stuff). I'm not power user, actually a basic/minimalist user. Key features for me are #1 long battery life and #2 good camera, but still just for casual use, not work. I'm Verizon customer and the P5 is only $100 more than the P4 5g currently, if they even offer the P4 5g anymore. I was going to go with the P5 but wondering if waiting 4 months for the P6 is the better idea if they are going to be about the same price. I keep my phones for a long time (as you can tell as I'm rocking my G6 still) until the performance or battery starts to go downhill. I also don't want a monster sized phone, no gaming here. Only thing I worry about with the P6 is the fact they are using their own chip, and while I see this as a positive step for the company/brand, I've never been a fan of being 1st one on the boat, been there, done that and usually would have preferred to be on the next one.

I've read the P5 is basically the P4 5g in a slightly smaller size, 2gb more memory, slightly larger battery, full glass/aluminum body, wireless charging and sans the headphone jack. And the P6 should be a big step up from the P5 in camera tech.

What do you all recommend?

Thanks,
Hawk

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Depends if you can wait 4 months. I got the 4a 5G and I love it. Perfect size and weighs next to nothing. But the battery life is ridiculously good. I get 2 days with medium use and no gaming on a charge with battery to spare. It just keeps going. Even on Android 12. The Pixel 6 will give you an extra year of Android updates which is a good thing. So at this point I would probably wait. You may get a good deal on the 6 or even the 5 when the 6 comes out. I think whatever you choose you can’t go wrong with the current crop of pixels.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
To me it sounds like the p5 will meet your needs easily. It has a fantastic battery, the camera is one of the best you can get from a phone and its guaranteed 3 years of OS+security updates. Since your not a gamer the 765g will not bother you the phone is smooth as glass with the 8gb of ram and 90hz screen and with all the usability features google bakes in it's the best Android experience I've found. The p6 I'm sure will be a great phone but I think the price be much higher since it seems google is going for a more premium phone this year.... Given you stated your not a gamer and not a fan of bring an early adopter (new in house chip) I think you'd be much happier with the 5

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Depends if you can wait 4 months. I got the 4a 5G and I love it. Perfect size and weighs next to nothing. But the battery life is ridiculously good. I get 2 days with medium use and no gaming on a charge with battery to spare. It just keeps going. Even on Android 12. The Pixel 6 will give you an extra year of Android updates which is a good thing. So at this point I would probably wait. You may get a good deal on the 6 or even the 5 when the 6 comes out. I think whatever you choose you can’t go wrong with the current crop of pixels.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello, Hawk! I was in the same boat as you in May - wondering if I should get the Pixel 5 or wait for the 6. I chose the 5, and am very happy! It's small to fit in my hand (6"); the camera is wonderful; battery life is very good; and like you, I'm a light user and the battery will last all day, with at least 50% or over by end of day. It sounds like the Pixel 5 would meet your needs.

The Pixel 4 5G is also a fantastic phone, and I'm sure you'll be able to find one at a decent price now that the 5 has been out for a while!

The Pixel 6 line is going back to the flagship-level pricing, I believe. I still think they're doing a small and XL version, but at this point in time I forget if the small is over the 6" height of the Pixel 5.

If you are conflicted, you can always wait until October to see what the Pixel 6 line will bring to the table *for sure*, and make a choice from there. But if your LG G6 (great phone, by the way! I love and miss LG, too!) is on its way out, it may be best to grab the 5. October isn't far away, though!

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My Pixel 3 XL recently died, and I'm definitely going to go for the Pixel 6 when it comes out, so in the meantime, I got a refurbished Pixel 3a XL for dirt cheap ($88) from Daily Steals. The display has some very minor blemishes, but otherwise it works great. So consider this as another option!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter