Is the corner-cutting this time around too much for you?

Matías, have we sinned?

• Total voters

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Too much corner cutting IMO. I would have done it anyway if it had 64gb but feels like they shaved something off at every corner.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep too much compromise. I still have my Nexus 6 which I hardly use due to the size but I just cannot go with the 5X...gonna sleep on the 6P but will probably not get that either. Just give me the Marshmallow factory image.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I've heard a lot of complaints about the phone's specs, but for the price they're pretty darn good .I can live with 2GB of RAM. Heck, my Lumia 830 runs like a dream with only 1GB of RAM (of course Windows Phone runs way better on low-end hardware than Android). Yeah 3GB would be great but it doesn't just equal the sum of its parts. The thing that bugs me the most is the storage. 32GB in-built is fine (even 16GB is fine) as long as I have microSD. I can live without microSD with 64GB or greater but I still don't like having that option locked off. It's sad not to have wireless charging as well. OIS is something I'd sorely miss. I could go on.
But in the end I'd still be happy with this phone (besides the storage issue). It's not supposed to be a super premium device. It's going back to the Nexus roots: giving you a value device that still has some high-end specs. Be happy with it. My Lumia 830 has a Snapdragon 400 and it's performance is super slick and quick. My old Note 2 still runs like a dream. Heck, my Lumia 520 on the Windows Insider program that has three year old hardware still runs well.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
There should be an "undecided" option, because I'm somewhere in the middle.

Stock Android doesn't need much to run well, and 2GB is sufficient, but it is ALSO a concern for futureproofing-related reasons.

The rest don't bother me as much, honestly, but the lack of OIS hurts me somewhat.

16GB of storage base, however, is laughable.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the 5x because the 6p is just too big to run with. I really want project fi and direct from Google updates...so here I am.

Posted via the Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I can't justify spending over $400 for a 16 or 32gb phone without storage expansion anymore, and they want you to take 4K videos with that. It's not just 2gb RAM, but DDR3 not DDR4 that even the OnePlus has. For the price it might be okay, but I can get other phones at the same cost and offer more value like the G4 and Moto X, or even a Nexus 6 64gb for the same price as the 5X 16gb before tax and shipping.

Sent from LG G Pad 8.3

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Wanted the 5X but I'll pass.

I know for the money it's pretty good but just because it's the smaller version it shouldn't mean cheaper or lower end. Some people like me want smaller for ergonomic reasons not because we want a cheaper phone.

I really wanted it for the following reasons:
  • pure android and super smooth
  • camera seems like it's one of the best
  • 5.2" display = hoping for smaller phone

I'll pass because of the following reasons:
  • too tall for a phone that contains 5.2" display
  • too tall for a phone with no stereo speakers (not really interested in stereo speakers but at least that would have justified the extra height)
  • no FM Radio (I know I'm in the minority here but I love listening to radio. Less data, lower power usage, can use abroad, and I think I'm right in saying that the feature is already there just disabled due to greedy networks wanting to shove their data and streaming services down our throats)
  • no IR Blaster (not a deal-breaker)
  • battery capacity not as good as it should have been (3000mAh should easily be possible)

Not really sure what to do now. Either keep my trusty LG G2 or maybe get the Xperia Z5.

Annoyed! LG produced the G2 in 2013 (5.2" display, 138.5x70.9x8.9mm + FM Radio + IR Blaster + 3000mAh) and now we get this.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Annoyed! LG produced the G2 in 2013 (5.2" display, 138.5x70.9x8.9mm + FM Radio + IR Blaster + 3000mAh) and now we get this.
LG made three Nexus, they gimped it three times on purpose. Which means they want you to buy their own phone and unfortunately I have to agree with them, I like the features they offer, only their software gets in the way but I know how to get around that.

Sent from LG G Pad 8.3

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
LG made three Nexus, they gimped it three times on purpose. Which means they want you to buy their own phone and unfortunately I have to agree with them, I like the features they offer, only their software gets in the way but I know how to get around that.

Sent from LG G Pad 8.3

I kinda agree. I preferred the G2 over the Nexus 5 and I don't find their software too bad. Some genuinely useful additions. Also, they have supported the G2 pretty well having updated it from JB->KitKat->Lollipop. That's more than some other brands have done.

The problem I have is that they haven't produced any flagship devices to replace the G2. All their flagships phones since the G2 have been getting larger. The G2 dimensions are perfect for me. Nice large 5.2" display in an amazingly compact body whilst retaining a large battery and all the features I want.

I really can't find anything out there to replace it which is a shame because I would like 4G, NFC, better camera etc.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I kinda agree. I preferred the G2 over the Nexus 5 and I don't find their software too bad. Some genuinely useful additions. Also, they have supported the G2 pretty well having updated it from JB->KitKat->Lollipop. That's more than some other brands have done.

The problem I have is that they haven't produced any flagship devices to replace the G2. All their flagships phones since the G2 have been getting larger. The G2 dimensions are perfect for me. Nice large 5.2" display in an amazingly compact body whilst retaining a large battery and all the features I want.

I really can't find anything out there to replace it which is a shame because I would like 4G, NFC, better camera etc.
Aside from the Sony Z5 Compact, I don't think there are any other choice out there, unless you really want to use a Samsung. High-end phones below 5.5" are a dying breed.

Sent from LG G Pad 8.3

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Well I just found out I can get the phone tomorrow. As in tomorrow 1st October.

£349 for 32GB. £429 is what I'm currently paying for Z5 Compact. Should I cancel my preorder? So tempted!

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Just pulled the trigger on a 32GB 5X from Carphone Warehouse. 2GB RAM is fine for me as well as the battery size which will hopefully get me through the day with medium use with the Marshmallow optimisations. I had a bit saved for this so looking forward to it! I'm sure the 6P is the better device all around however, I can't manage a phone of that size.

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I made a stupid mistake. Delivery is 19th October. That info was hidden on the mobile site of Carphone Warehouse, I just saw the 'in stock' label. Oops :(

I used both the mobile and desktop version which both read in stock. Now both saying pre-order. Guess they made a mistake? Or they were actually in stock but now sold out? Who knows, guess I'll also have to wait Oct 19th.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Looks to me like Google didn't want to cut the margins as thin as they did with the N5 and N4. This is a decent spec'd phone for the money, but nowhere near outstanding. I backed off buying this as the specs and pricing info came out. The final specs just validate my choice of the Motorola XPE. I think the only feature I will miss will be the camera. Sounds like it will be outstanding.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I assume the camera and sensors included are the real icing on the cake with this phone bringing the cost up to where it is.

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I can't justify spending over $400 for a 16 or 32gb phone without storage expansion anymore, and they want you to take 4K videos with that. It's not just 2gb RAM, but DDR3 not DDR4 that even the OnePlus has. For the price it might be okay, but I can get other phones at the same cost and offer more value like the G4 and Moto X, or even a Nexus 6 64gb for the same price as the 5X 16gb before tax and shipping.

Sent from LG G Pad 8.3
The price isn't really that good for what you get. It's the most expensive 32GB max phone out. And that amount of max storage kinda makes it a bad buy, imo. Love the 6P on paper, but it is the biggest phone there is other than the Nexus 6, so they didn't listen to anyone who said the Nexus 6 was too big.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The price isn't really that good for what you get. It's the most expensive 32GB max phone out. And that amount of max storage kinda makes it a bad buy, imo. Love the 6P on paper, but it is the biggest phone there is other than the Nexus 6, so they didn't listen to anyone who said the Nexus 6 was too big.

Fundamentally I don't have an issue with the specs of the 5X as I understand they saw it as being midrange even though I hate the concept that smaller phones are midrange and larger phones are high end. To that end though I do think the phone is overpriced when compared to the price of the 6P in the US. In most other markets the difference between the 5X and 6P 32GB models ranges between $100-150. In the US though at only $70 it sorta makes it hard to justify the 5X unless you really must have the smaller size. I wish Google would have priced the 5X around $30-50 lower here, I think that would have made it a bit easier to tolerate for many people.